Notices

I'm so scared of myself....

Old 04-28-2013, 10:59 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I'm so scared of myself....

About two weeks ago, I moved in with my father who drinks pretty much every evening. I don't really drink as I'm barely old enough to but i decided i'd join him one night. First night it was three drinks, enough to get a mild effect (i seem to have a naturally high alcohol tolerance). Second night it was 4, from then on out i basically have been getting completely wasted nightly drinking anywhere from 8-12 beers (not light ones either, stuff that's 5-6% abv). This has been going on for about ten days. The reason i'm so scared of myself is because i always end up saying i'll just have 2-3 drinks and leave it at that but that never happens and to make matters worse the alcohol "supply" isn't going away. I never get hangovers from doing this either so it's not like i feel repercussions next morning to deter me from doing it again.

I really feel like i don't have control of this and it is going to go downhill. Its so hard to say no to the drinks too, trust me i have tried since the first time, i always say to myself "i'm not going to drink tonight" then out comes the beer and i end up rationalizing things and the not going to drink tonight turns into i'm only going to have two or three, then that turns into i'll stop at six, then that turns into me getting completely trashed to the point where i can't even walk.

I don't know what to do. I'm sure this sounds stupid but i really am afraid of myself right now.
Old 04-28-2013, 11:41 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
oak

It does not sound stupid at all. You have reason to be concerned since you are drinking way more than you plan to.

I initially stopped drinking (for 16 years) when i was 23. I had not gotten drunk a lot, but I almost always got drunk when I drank. I also did not have hangovers or any negative physical symptoms. I just did not want to do what both my parents were doing with alcohol. (I have tried drinking a few times during the past few years, and it is a problem very quickly each time. So I am very glad that I initially quit when I was young. Being sober in my 20's and 30's allowed me to do so much. And I think that being sober for most of my adult life makes it easier to be sober now.)

I know it is weird to see how quickly alcohol can be a problem- yet maybe that is better because it is obviously a problem (as opposed to someone who gradually develops an alcohol problem and therefore does not see it as a problem).

I am glad you found SR. There is so much support here. You might also look into meetings and resources near you. AA usually has young people's meetings, and there are also other types of meetings (SMART, LifeRing, WFS). But lots of people stop drinking without meetings.

Can you make other plans in the evening? Also- it helps me to really focus on why I want to be sober and not drink.
Old 04-28-2013, 11:51 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome b729

At two weeks in, assuming you never drank much before, I think you have an excellent chance to cut this out right now before it moves on from habit and becomes something else.

It could be as simple as changing your routine - instead of sitting with your dad go to your room, or go for a walk, start a hobby....

D
Old 04-29-2013, 12:15 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yeah i do have other things i can do, and things i usually do do in the evening like playing guitar, which i obviously can't do if i'm drunk.

I'm prescribed ritalin for ADHD and its one of the reasons i continued to drink every evening, usually when it wears off at the end of the day i have a terrible crash and feel like crap for a few hours after, the alcohol pretty much gets rid of that, although usually i only plan on drinking 2-3 like i mentioned which is more then enough to take the edge off it, but that never happens.
Old 04-29-2013, 04:06 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi. I'm a alcoholic and your post is a remember when for me. My good life of not drinking just for today has resulted in many years sober after getting honest with myself while attending AA meetings. AA has been work but I wouldn't trade my worst day sober for my best day drinking. BE WELL