Notices

Addiction does't stop...

Old 04-22-2013, 11:55 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Addiction does't stop...

Well I have been sober for a quite a bit with a couple of slip ups but for the most part going pretty strong.I have noticed I have been smoking more cigarettes since I quit drinking.It is interesting how your addictive brain compensates for the loss of a love one(alcohol). I'm actually on my 7th day without smoking cigarettes and all the cravings are coming back. I feel like drinking and smoking, but I am not going to do it. Its all a trick. The cigarettes and alcohol aren't talking to me. Its me... My brain that feels that I need these poisons to survive, but in reality they don't nourish my body and mind like food, water, and oxygen does. You feel like you want it, but as soon as you read, look at t.v. meditate,converse, exercise, write and express your feelings that thirst for a quick fix leaves. I guess the goal to sobriety (for me at least) is to get all those moments and squeezing them together not giving that VOICE a chance to be heard. The only thing that I find really challenging is actually enjoying those things as much as I enjoyed drinking and smoking. Probably won't happen ,but I have to understand that your not suppose to feel good all at once everything has to be in moderation.
Old 04-23-2013, 03:46 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Addiction doesn't stop,but the cravings go away.
I quit smoking several years before I quit drinking. I found smoking quite a bit easier than drinking myself. For me once the cravings for smoking went away,I had it whipped. Booze went on several months. Just out of the blue I would want a drink,after I thought I had it whipped.
But it does go away if you just hang in there.
Fred
Old 04-23-2013, 05:02 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
recovering alcoholic

If you are struggling with alcohol addiction, don't worry about the smoking issue. Fight one battle at a time. If you overload yourself, you will relapse in BOTH areas.

My counselor has told all of us in group just to focus on getting through the mind-altering drug addiction first. We can tackle the smoking - and other issues later.

Remember, choose your battles wisely.