Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

Can an alcoholic really become a moderate/ social drinker

Notices

Old 04-08-2013, 04:48 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Lemme tell what: if you think that you may be able to manage alcohol safely in the future, then set a start date. That's what I'm doing: I'm on the wagon for 20 years. When I hit 60 and my little boy is a grown adult, I'll start being a social drinker. In the year 2033.
Old 04-08-2013, 05:22 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Dreaming of being able to moderate drinking one day is the big fantasy of any alcoholic. It has taken me this long to finally get to a point where I am really OK with not having a drink today anyway. The cravings are nowhere near as strong as they used to be for me 7+ months ago. It is freeing to not have to be a prisoner of my own mind. No constant thoughts of whether I could go back out there ... whether I could control it this time, etc. etc. Trust me, I was craving it bad earlier on for sure. But just stick with sobriety. Things will get better! I'm glad I stuck it out.
Old 04-08-2013, 07:45 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

not this one

and most people aren't once-a-week drinkers of a lot of beer, statistically speaking. sounds like you're talking about binges.

and, sigh, not every alcoholic goes on rto lose job, family, life.
there are quite a few of us who don't, which unfortunately often means we fool ourselves much longer that we don't have a real problem, because the consequences and reality are not that readily apparent.
Old 04-09-2013, 04:06 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

No. Been there, done that. Its not the first drink thats a problem, its usually after number 12. Maybe fewer, maybe more.
Old 04-09-2013, 06:45 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Yes, some people (even problem drinkers) can learn to moderate. Most though seem to fail at it. Could I? Maybe. But I have no desire to put it to the test anymore. I like being sober. I like being present in the here and now. I like being awake.
Old 04-09-2013, 07:06 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

If we were to say that an alcoholic could become a social drinker we'd be saying that it was a matter of will power the whole time.
Old 04-09-2013, 08:40 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I was 27 when I got sober last year. I still have days where I dream of being like my friends, and just drinking on occasion, and being able to control how much I drink. But I'm not like them. I tried to get sober when I was 20, and that idea got me to relapse after 3 months and I didn't try again until I was basically on my knees. If I try and drink socially again I can probably kiss goodbye to the next decade, before I (hopefully am able to) try again.
Speak to your GP. I didn't realise I was alcohol dependent or that I had done damage to my body until they did some tests. I was 27 I thought I was too young to have drinking related health problems, a damaged liver or to be an alcoholic. I can't describe to you how crushed I was when I got those results.
But now I'm 28 and if I stay sober I have my whole life ahead of me. Who knows where it will take me. But I know where drinking will take me.
Good luck!
Old 04-09-2013, 12:52 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I was able to moderate for a few days or weeks but I always ended up obsessed with drinking again. If you can't get drinking out of your mind now do you think it will get less if you keep drinking?

Moderating is a bad idea for anyone who just thinks they are an Alcoholic. If it quacks like a Duck...
Old 04-09-2013, 01:15 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

It is a very difficult question to answer as we are all different. My brother has been to hell and back and is now somewhere inbetween after having tried moderation and failed miserably.

I do however think that sometimes, as it so hard to define, that alcoholism is very confusing. For the philosophical souls this may be useful:

"Some critics of the disease model, argue alcoholism is a choice, not a disease, and stripping alcohol abusers of their choice, by applying the disease concept, is a threat to the health of the individual; the disease concept gives the abuser an excuse"
Old 04-10-2013, 07:52 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

No. Never again!
Old 04-10-2013, 12:41 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by KeyHeart View Post
Lemme tell what: if you think that you may be able to manage alcohol safely in the future, then set a start date. That's what I'm doing: I'm on the wagon for 20 years. When I hit 60 and my little boy is a grown adult, I'll start being a social drinker. In the year 2033.
Same here. I'll start being a social drinker in Y3K.