Notices

Feeling hopeless

Old 03-23-2013, 03:52 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Feeling hopeless

It's been forever since I've been around here. I was out drinking again for awhile and am back. Again. Have been sober for 2 weeks this time and am feeling crazy because I'm really missing the way wine gave me a sense of calm. It was the one thing I looked forward to every day and I miss it so much it hurts. I wish I had that same sense of calm and peace without drinking and I wonder how many more times I will go back and forth between being convinced I am an alcoholic and being absolutely certain I can drink safely and control my consumption. It is making me feel hopeless. Tonight I will be surrounded by drinking in my home which makes it that much harder. Feeling very overwhelmed.
Old 03-23-2013, 04:20 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Ever tried meditation? After years of practice, I can get to a peaceful, calm place in moments.
Old 03-23-2013, 04:51 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

I am glad you are back and haven't given up on yourself or sobriety.

It IS hard, but it's doable, and it's worth it. Stick with us!
Old 03-23-2013, 05:41 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Eliasson View Post
I'm really missing the way wine gave me a sense of calm.
I kept going to AA meetings until I got a sense of calm.

Good to see you again.

Bob R
Old 03-23-2013, 06:10 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
formerly IMHomerSimpson

I am going through a rough time here in very early sobriety and little has to do with not drinking but, I certainly can relate to wanting that calm effect like I got from being drunk and stoned. Unfortunately that feeling will never come back, it would be total discomfort along with guilt and shame that would last for days or maybe weeks and months! Not worth it for me, I will try to learn meditation like posted above along with continuing my AA meetings which is turning into my safe place, somewhere everybody knows how I feel which is very calming for me. I wish you the best on finding peace.
Old 03-23-2013, 06:45 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

It was the one thing I looked forward to every day and I miss it so much it hurts. I wish I had that same sense of calm and peace without drinking
from the BB on p152

I know I must get along without liquor, but how can I? Have you a sufficient
substitute?”

Yes, there is a substitute and it is vastly more than that.

If staying sober wasn't BETTER than the time I had drinking, I promise........I'd be back drinking tonight. Perhaps, like me, you're going to have to do more than "just not drink." I found really digging into the recovery program, practicing the principles of the steps in my life, and making some pretty important changes to what I do and how I think has moooooooooooore than made up for the love I had for drinking. And as far as relief goes...... drinking wasn't even close to what's available living a life in the "AA way" so to speak.
Old 03-24-2013, 07:38 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by trachemys View Post
Ever tried meditation? After years of practice, I can get to a peaceful, calm place in moments.
Yes, works for me too. I do mindfulness meditation (breathing and body scans, though it's more of a way of life I don't know enough about it in depth). I did a class for 2 months when I first stopped drinking. It really helps me deal with emotions too.

I also met someone in my SMART recovery group who uses a technique called "urge surfing" as part of her mindfulness work.

Mindfulness
Old 03-24-2013, 11:09 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

It's been forever since I've been around here. I was out drinking again for awhile and am back. Again. Have been sober for 2 weeks this time and am feeling crazy because I'm really missing the way wine gave me a sense of calm. It was the one thing I looked forward to every day and I miss it so much it hurts. I wish I had that same sense of calm and peace without drinking and I wonder how many more times I will go back and forth between being convinced I am an alcoholic and being absolutely certain I can drink safely and control my consumption. It is making me feel hopeless. Tonight I will be surrounded by drinking in my home which makes it that much harder. Feeling very overwhelmed.
Hi Eliasson, the sense of peace and calm will return to you with continued sobriety. I am at 47 days today and can honestly say that the calmness and sense of peace I have felt for the past week is so much better than the "calm" I sought from wine. Withdrawal is difficult, at times, but so worth it! Keep going, you will see a big improvement by day 30!
Old 03-26-2013, 02:14 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
The Long and Winding Road....

Hey there...i too have bounced in and out of sobriety..and i am now glad i did..because now i am tired bdaten and sick enough to do something about it
Old 03-26-2013, 02:57 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

I definately have a sense of calm and peace I never had when drinking. I thought I had it then and it fooled me.

Why is their drinking going on in your home if you don't mind me asking?