Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

Would you see a doctor if you had no physical symptoms

Notices

Old 03-15-2013, 04:28 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I've been sober almost two months. I haven't seen a medical doctor because I'm ashamed to tell him about my heavy drinking and I'm afraid of what he will say. I haven't had any physical symptoms that would indicate problems. The other thing is if I go to the doctor and he says I'm totally fine I might be tempted to start having beers again. I don't know what to do
Old 03-15-2013, 04:30 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by caboblanco View Post
I've been sober almost two months. I haven't seen a medical doctor because I'm ashamed to tell him about my heavy drinking and I'm afraid of what he will say. I haven't had any physical symptoms that would indicate problems. The other thing is if I go to the doctor and he says I'm totally fine I might be tempted to start having beers again. I don't know what to do
I'm not a doctor but I Play one on TV. Son, You need to stop drinking!
Will that do?
Old 03-15-2013, 04:33 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think generally it's a good idea to get a check up - we beat ourselves up pretty bad as drinkers....I'm not saying you're ill, but some problems don't always exhibit symptoms, not until they're well advanced.

Ultimately tho it's down to the individual.

If you feel ok, and you're ok with that, ok then

what kind of support do you have Caboblanco?
D
Old 03-15-2013, 04:41 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I think generally it's a good idea to get a check up - we beat ourselves up pretty bad as drinkers....I'm not saying you're ill, but some problems don't always exhibit symptoms, not until they're well advanced.

Ultimately tho it's down to the individual.

If you feel ok, and you're ok with that, ok then

what kind of support do you have Caboblanco?
D
Im getting a therapist soon Dee
Old 03-15-2013, 04:42 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Get a check up, blood work for enzymes and other usual tests. You'll feel better for it in the end. If you check out perfect why not use that information to say "thank my lucky stars I dodged a bullet, it would be a shame to drink now and ruin that."

This is basically what I told the Doctor when I had my first big checkup after I began my journey into sobriety. I laughed when the intern helping him looked at me astonished that I was in good shape after 20 years of hard drinking. He said to the intern "Genetics" and I said "That and a good diet other than the drinking" followed with a chuckle and finally saying cheerfully "There's nothing wrong with me".

You can do this too
Old 03-15-2013, 06:45 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
~sb

stick it out another 2 months, then 2 more....get to a year!

drinking won't make anything better!!!
Old 03-15-2013, 09:06 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I saw mine about 10 days ago for a general physical check-up. When asked why I was seeing him on this particular day, I simply told him that I was afflicted with alcoholism and needed to see what type of shape my liver/kidneys/various other organs were in.

He wasn't shocked at all and did not judge me. He also treated my alcoholic stepfather whose alcoholism finally claimed his life in December. These are medical professionals so they should not be judging you based on your condition/complaints. If they do, they are unprofessional and that is a doctor that you don't want treating you (and you may consider reporting their behavior to whatever medical board supervises your jurisdiction).

My lab work came back today and all was normal. The doctor also judged my general health to be fairly well. (I am only 34 and did not start drinking problematically until late 2004). As I am early in recovery, he advised me to take supplements of folic acid, thiamine, a B-complex vitamin, and vitamin C. He was willing to prescribe Librium which I refused (I would abuse it).

An additonal benefit is that a physician may be able to diagnose a problem that is totally unrelated to alcohol abuse/dependence and one that you may not be aware of. (This is how my father discovered he was diabetic).

The only drawback was that it was cost-prohibitive as I am uninsured and payment was demanded up front and in full upon services rendered, including the lab work. I should mention this was a physician in private practice, though.
Old 03-15-2013, 09:43 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
where the light is

Originally Posted by caboblanco View Post
Im getting a therapist soon Dee
Awesome! My counsellor was key to my recovery.

I did talk to my doctor and he's been somewhat helpful. I think it depends on the doctors knowledge and experience with alcoholism. Of course a general check up is always a good thing.
Old 03-16-2013, 01:49 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I saw mine coming up to 3 months sober.Best thing I ever did. I felt such relief unburdening myself. I was feeling pretty low and he prescribed anti ds which have been a great help.He's also referred me for counselling which should help too. I'm feeling much more positive.He ran blood tests and knowing everything was fine did not make me want to drink again but just felt such relief I'd not done any permanent damage and have been given another chance. My only regret about going to the doc is that I didn't go sooner