Notices

Going through the life troubles sober

Old 03-10-2013, 07:29 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Going through the life troubles sober

Well, I'm 42 days sober and my life suck pretty bad right now. All sort of things start happening at once ant it stresses me out a lot.

- I own a small business which is going downhill fast despite of anything I do. Need cash to try to resurrect it, so...

- Was trying to sell my car because maintenance costs are getting high given my financial situation, and also needed money for business. But:

- Was involved in a bad car crash a couple days ago. No serious injuries, but it was decided as my fault (it was not however), and now have to pay about $3000 in body parts and repair jobs in order to recover my car and prepare it for sale. That's a hell of a lot of cash.

- 3 days ago my water pipe blew and I flooded the neighbors below. Hot water caused a serious damage, which I have to cover - it's over $2000.

- To top it all off, I have NOBODY to talk to and to vent away. I have no close friends, no family of my own or a girlfriend at 31, and have to process all my problems by myself. My parents are very sensitive so I haven't told them anything of the above, because they will only overreact which won't do much good. My head is going to explode.

Until 2013, my solution will be to buy a case of beer, watch a couple of comedies and pass out. Now, the weight of the world is unberable. I think many of you have been in similar situations, how did you cope?
Old 03-10-2013, 07:50 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Posting on here is a good start! Do you have any groups or meetings you attend? I had some pretty stressful stuff going on a couple of weeks ago, attended a group therapy that night and cried my eyes out. It was theraputic for sure and I got some insights that I was not seeing on my own.
Good luck and stay sober!
Old 03-10-2013, 08:11 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FreddyBear View Post
Well, I'm 42 days sober and my life suck pretty bad right now. All sort of things start happening at once ant it stresses me out a lot.

- I own a small business which is going downhill fast despite of anything I do. Need cash to try to resurrect it, so...

- Was trying to sell my car because maintenance costs are getting high given my financial situation, and also needed money for business. But:

- Was involved in a bad car crash a couple days ago. No serious injuries, but it was decided as my fault (it was not however), and now have to pay about $3000 in body parts and repair jobs in order to recover my car and prepare it for sale. That's a hell of a lot of cash.

- 3 days ago my water pipe blew and I flooded the neighbors below. Hot water caused a serious damage, which I have to cover - it's over $2000.

- To top it all off, I have NOBODY to talk to and to vent away. I have no close friends, no family of my own or a girlfriend at 31, and have to process all my problems by myself. My parents are very sensitive so I haven't told them anything of the above, because they will only overreact which won't do much good. My head is going to explode.

Until 2013, my solution will be to buy a case of beer, watch a couple of comedies and pass out. Now, the weight of the world is unberable. I think many of you have been in similar situations, how did you cope?
Fred, are you attending AA meetings?

I take those problems to my sponsor and the meetings.

All the best.

Bob R
Old 03-10-2013, 08:33 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yea,looks like AA would help fill the void to me.
You can make friends there very quickly,and find people to talk to.
The ONLY requirement to attend is a desire not to drink. It also requires walking through the door,which for the first time can sound kind of overwhelming. But it's really no different than walking into a bar if you look at the bigger picture. Except nobody is supposed to drink. Take what you need and leave the rest.
Times are very tough right now. There are a lot of people that don't drink at all losing money also. Drinking won't help a thing. It might numb the feeling for a couple hours or so. But tomorrow you will have less money from buying booze. And you will have also bought yourself a doozie of a hangover and regret. And you will feel even worse to boot.
Whatever you do all I can say is don't take the first drink. And life will get better faster than it will if you drink. Or if you drink it might not EVER get better.
From another Fred

Fred
Old 03-10-2013, 08:39 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

((FreddyBear)) - So sorry for all the problems!

I'm 6 years clean, but am going through something similar. Lots of unexpected expenses, work cutting my hours so they don't have to pay benefits, etc.

I do have supportive family, but SR has been a huge part of me getting this far. I have to remember I've had other times when life has been really, really hard. Getting numb never solved any problems, it just delayed me dealing with them and often made them worse.

I do think having someone to "talk" to, who gets what you are going through, is important. Whether you find them at meetings and/or here or elsewhere, it really does help.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 03-10-2013, 08:52 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 2granddaughters View Post
Fred, are you attending AA meetings?

I take those problems to my sponsor and the meetings.

All the best.

Bob R
I'm afraid I'm too shy for it, so it's really not an option. Also, as an introvert, the most I can do there is to sit quietly in a corner.
Old 03-10-2013, 09:32 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'm afraid I'm too shy for it, so it's really not an option. Also, as an introvert, the most I can do there is to sit quietly in a corner.
And by sitting quietly in a corner, you may absorb a lot of hope, information and knowledge.
Old 03-10-2013, 09:56 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Have you gone to AA meetings? If so, how many?

Bob
Old 03-10-2013, 10:00 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Freddybear that was me, the thought of going to a meeting was actually unbearable. It's taken me 2 years to finally go. I sat in the corner and just listened, they did acknowledge me but somehow I was able to feel invisible. I'm lucky though, a friend took me. I wish I could take you.
This friend of mine, who I have known is an alcoholic for some time, told me only yesterday that a few months ago, when she first got sober, she was evicted from her house by environmental health officers. She had no heating, electric, the house was full of old bottles, rubbish and cat faeces. This woman is a professional in an important job, I had no idea.
All she had was the meetings, and surprisingly some neighbours took her in there and then. You might be surprised how people can help - I think because they aren't fighting the demons we are, they have the room and generosity to reach out and help others.

She said if she hadn't have attended the meetings she wouldn't be here today.

It used to baffle me why people talked about the meetings so much on here - admittedly I've only been to one, but I actually can't wait to go to the next one. I would never have known and it's made all the difference.

Xxx
Old 03-10-2013, 10:11 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by daisy1 View Post
Freddybear that was me, the thought of going to a meeting was actually unbearable. It's taken me 2 years to finally go. I sat in the corner and just listened, they did acknowledge me but somehow I was able to feel invisible. I'm lucky though, a friend took me. I wish I could take you.
This friend of mine, who I have known is an alcoholic for some time, told me only yesterday that a few months ago, when she first got sober, she was evicted from her house by environmental health officers. She had no heating, electric, the house was full of old bottles, rubbish and cat faeces. This woman is a professional in an important job, I had no idea.
All she had was the meetings, and surprisingly some neighbours took her in there and then. You might be surprised how people can help - I think because they aren't fighting the demons we are, they have the room and generosity to reach out and help others.

She said if she hadn't have attended the meetings she wouldn't be here today.

It used to baffle me why people talked about the meetings so much on here - admittedly I've only been to one, but I actually can't wait to go to the next one. I would never have known and it's made all the difference.

Xxx
daisy, your words are far more powerful than mine.

All the best.

Bob R
Old 03-10-2013, 11:15 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Fellow Traveler and Seeker

Then sitting quietly in a corner is what you do. That is what I did for a while. I am quite introverted (still am) and going to meetings is something that helped me open up and talk to people. If there are people who would understand what I am going through and how I feel, it's another group of alcoholics. I am very active in meetings now, and it's only through being there, listening to others, talking one-on-one before and after meetings, and then slowly opening up and sharing during meetings. Even something as simple as introducing myself to the person next to me was a big step for me. We have to get out of our comfort zone if we want to grow.

Believe me, if I can do it, so can you.