Notices

Dreams

Old 03-03-2013, 02:46 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Dreams

I know in the beginning the first few days are either insomnia or really vivid nightmares. But after your body starts feeling better and you do get some shut eye at night does anyone have dreams of alcohol that are tempting and very very realistic as in place, people and thoughts.

I have dreams where alcohol is in front of me but its not reachable and I always wake up before I can drink it. In my dream I feel that physical urge to drink that everyone feels in the beginning of their recovery when your around alcohol. I have woken up with such a strong urge for it sometimes. Does dreaming about alcohol go away or does pop up even for those with a lot of time under their belt.
Old 03-03-2013, 02:49 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Trudger of Happy Destiny

I have dreams, scary using dreams, all the time. Sometimes I will consume the drugs and "try to get away with it" by hiding what has happened. I am glad they are just that, though, dreams. My subconscious is fighting it. In my dreams I know it is wrong and not the answer, and will be a huge emotional blow to everything I am trying to do better in my life.
Old 03-03-2013, 02:59 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I had dreams about drinking that seemed very real. They stopped for me after the first 3 months or so. I have been sober almost 4 years and they havn't returned.
Fred
Old 03-03-2013, 07:49 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I have had several "drinking dreams". From what I understand they are very normal. The last one was really strange. I was at a birthday party and people were giving me drinks. I was trying to figure out how to dispose of them without people knowing that I hadn't drank them.I felt embarassed that I couldn't politely refuse the drinks. Even when I woke up I felt shameful. That was the first time that I didn't drink in one of those dreams . A lot of the AA old timers have told me that they used to have the dreams early on and that they rarely had them after differing amounts of time. I am looking forward to that time coming for me, and I am sure that it will come for you too.
Old 03-03-2013, 08:06 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

yea I cant wait until I have normal dreams like sheep jumping over a fence or flying toasters, Iam just happy the nightmares and sweats are over, that was literally hell. Before my last relapse I used stuff like benadryl and nyquil which made the nightmares worse.
Old 03-03-2013, 08:16 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I've been sober 16 months and have these dreams once in a while. In these dreams I've been drinking for a while then remember that I quit. I then feel ashamed that I started again and wasted all my hard work to stay sober. A few nights ago I dreamed I had just left a bar after drinking and was riding my motorcycle. In my dream I remember thinking If I only made left hand turns I would be fine, If I turned right I would fall and crash. My last night drinking involved me dropping my motorcycle making a right hand turn.
Old 03-03-2013, 08:46 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I still get a little thrill when I realize that it was only a dream.