Notices

Well, I found a reason to quit

Old 02-25-2013, 09:18 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Well, I found a reason to quit

25 pounds of a reason to be exact. I posted a while back that I could not really find a good reason for me to quit as I was seemingly fine in most aspects of my life.
I had always been an avid exerciser. To the point of obsession and eating disorders. For that reason, I stopped owning a scale and full length mirrors. I definitely traded one bad thing for another but felt free from obsessing about my appearance.
I knew drinking was making me lazy and I was making poor eating choices so I knew I had gained some weight. But WOW, I did not realize it was 25 pounds! I checked the scale when I went to my parents a week ago.
So, I am on day 6 now, feeling better than I have in months and working out again. The hard part for me will be finding a balance and not going back into THAT obsession.
It really has not been to difficult, save the first day of a bit of withdrawal. I don't think I am going to do AA this time but definitely am going to start seeing an addiction counselor and check out SMART some more.
I have told my friends why I did not go out this weekend and they were all very supportive. Bummed out, but supportive.
So, feeling positive. Might be a hermit for a bit. Off we go.
Old 02-25-2013, 09:21 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

My daughter is that way: Avid exerciser. Way better than drinking IMAO.
Old 02-25-2013, 11:52 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

ive lost a load of weight when i quit, and find that i can now get my weight below levels i havent seen for 10 years... i need new belts, trousers, jumpers... just from not drinking. But then i was adding 2000 calories a day to my diet via booze, so kinda makes sense that it drops off.
Old 02-25-2013, 12:20 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Whatever motivates you to stay off the sauce is good. In time you'll like sobriety because it's a good way to live if you're a problem drinker. Fitness and health can be a powerful motivator ... I too jumped on the health wagon when I quit and it helped me tremendously ... I learned a lot too.
Old 02-25-2013, 05:29 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Nice to see you back at it Babycat. Weight gain was one of my motivating factors as well. I can't wait for the weather to get warm enough to walk the Mountains again.

An addiction counselor is a great idea, I have been going to one for a while now and it really does help to keep me grounded.
Old 03-04-2013, 02:54 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Grateful Member

I'm right there with ya Babycat! I even competed in figure competitions, and was a personal trainer for 6 years. I gained 20 pounds, and although I'm still in good shape, nothing at all like I was. I'm ready to be ME again.