Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

For the scientifically minded. A new take on spirituality.

Notices

Old 02-21-2013, 11:42 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

I found this presentation fascinating and thought I would share it. Those with a physics background will appreciate it all the more. I would appreciate any and all feedback about it. Though I do not agree with everything said, the presentation on the whole is quite impressive IMO.

This is the shorter version (10 mins). Peter Russell - The Primacy of Consciousness (Excerpted) - YouTube

This is the longer version (just over an hour)
http://www.nderf.net/index.php/jomsocial/42-jody/videos/video/42-the-primacy-of-consciousness-peter-russell-full-version
Old 02-21-2013, 01:16 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm an engineer and can still remember my A-level physics class where the wave/particle duality of light was demonstrated in experimental form.

I am one that happens to think most things spiritual and most things scientific do not conflict in any way.

As someone recently in sobriety who is toying with the idea that the void that has now been uncovered due to the removal of alcohol is a spiritual one, this feels particularly relevant. I do need to watch it in the morning when my brain is better equipped for such complex matter, and take in the longer version, but thanks for sharing it.
Old 02-21-2013, 02:06 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Thanks Awuh1. I had a listen to the short version. Well above my head I'm afraid. The more I get to know the more I realise I don't know.

I was listening to one of our local scientists the other day. He is known as a strong athiest, and was giving a lecture on the structure of the universe. He broke things down to ever smaller components, had a name for everything, explained what each thing does and its relationship to the other things. Amazing stuff and all invisible to the naked eye. But he never answered the question why? Why does all this exist? For what purpose was it created?

Then in the talk the speaker talks about consciousness. Where did that come from?
These questions are far too deep for me, but I do see and believe there is much more to our existence than mere rationalism. There has to be some kind of driving force or intelligent creator, perhaps a spirit, or perhaps a spiritual link that gives purpose and meaning. Oh well, I probably missed the whole point, but beeing a bit dim witted about this stuff didn't keep me from getting sober.