Notices

Luck ran out

Old 02-09-2013, 06:55 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Luck ran out

this week after many attempts of sobering up (a few days or weeks here and there) I went out again and got an OWI while sitting in a parking lot on taking a phone call! This was the first few drink I had in almost a month and ended up in jail. Now this is great, just great, as I have no income, waiting for unemployment to start and still actively look for work. Thank god no one was hurt due to my stupidity just not looking forward to interviewing for a job next week and explaining why I may not have a DL!

Thanks for letting me vent! SR has always been very helpful!
Old 02-09-2013, 07:10 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

What’s the plan this time freebird? You gotta do something different in order for life to change. How about a meeting each and every day for 3 months? Have you ever done that?
Old 02-09-2013, 07:33 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Ouch. They are getting quite ridiculous with the way they hand DWIs out like candy these days. Apparently someone got one in my state for having a beer in his hand while cutting his grass on a riding lawnmower.

It sounds like you do need to make a change. Your attempts to quit on your own haven't worked. I would suggest the fellowship of AA as a great place to start.
Old 02-10-2013, 10:38 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

A first time DUI is not the end of the world. Hopefully, it was your "wake up call". For myself, after my first DUI I just grew resentful towards the system & kept drinking. Oh, and getting 2 more DUI's. The DUI is somewhat about revenue but the fact of the matter is that it is a criminal offense. Get a lawyer because it could effect your life. They are expensive but usually worth it in the long run. I know mine was and today I have a drivers license after 3 DUI's thanks to my sobriety and "slick" lawyer.
Old 02-10-2013, 10:43 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Luck always does run out, sooner or later.

I suggest you focus on dealing with your alcohol problem--the DWI is not the end of the world, but your drinking might lead to it.

Why not get a jump on your recovery by starting with AA now? Your eventual court disposition is likely to include a requirement of participation in a recovery program, so why not get the ball rolling?
Old 04-08-2013, 08:20 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LexieCat View Post
Luck always does run out, sooner or later.

I suggest you focus on dealing with your alcohol problem--the DWI is not the end of the world, but your drinking might lead to it.

Why not get a jump on your recovery by starting with AA now? Your eventual court disposition is likely to include a requirement of participation in a recovery program, so why not get the ball rolling?
Already on the ball with AA again since it happened. Got a great deal today, lot less fines, DL restrictions, etc. Could have been a lot worse. Gotta "have my ducks in a row" (fines paid, AA log) before sentencing.
Old 04-08-2013, 08:33 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
2Cor5:17

Hey freebird,
I think you getting that "good deal" as you put is was really a wink from heaven. I look @ it as God giving us several chances but when we blow them all, He goes hands off until we get tired of running on own self will & let Him. My case is still pending & got my wake up call 2nd time around & I start my day by saying step 3. I'm happier, sane & in better relationships with a group of guys in my home group I never would have dreamed of!
Thank You Lord
Old 04-08-2013, 09:43 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 1newcreation View Post
Hey freebird,
I think you getting that "good deal" as you put is was really a wink from heaven. I look @ it as God giving us several chances but when we blow them all, He goes hands off until we get tired of running on own self will & let Him. My case is still pending & got my wake up call 2nd time around & I start my day by saying step 3. I'm happier, sane & in better relationships with a group of guys in my home group I never would have dreamed of!
Thank You Lord
You are right - I feel great now! Made it to AA made some changes at home to make sure there are no mess ups, have ways to meetings, and of course SR forums. A buddy joked with me I must be "real cool" with God from how I make it out of drinking issues and health miracles (that is another story) unscathed.

I give everyday now that the fog is finally clearing!
Old 04-09-2013, 02:20 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Boy it is crazy the things we do drinking. I used to do the exact same thing - sit in parking lots and drink- (because my husband wouldn't let me drink)

Thinking of myself doing that now makes me cringe. So reckless of me.

I am glad your situation is improving