Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

withdrawal: how long before you are "in the clear"?

Notices

Old 01-23-2013, 07:30 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I know this isnt the place for medical advice, but i wanted to know the experience that others have had? I was assuming im ok today (or at least since I'm not as bad as yesterday that I'll be fine)

After reading here I realized my horrible detoxing the last couple of days could have actually been really dangerous. I was dizzy, nauseous, sweating, shaking, chills... couldnt walk or even stand for very long... I couldn't talk most of the day and dont remember a lot of it... i couldnt keep down water and didnt eat a thing... That was yesterday. today I made myself get up and shower and run errands in town. I still felt dizzy and nauseous some and vision is kind of blurry.... shakes are on and off. but I figured it was because of low blood sugar... i ate some lunch and have drank a lot of water. mentally i feel like ****, but the fact that i was able to walk and stand and hold conversations today made me think i was ok...

now that im reading all of the warnings about quitting cold turkey, i guess im kind of concerned (or at least thankful that things werent any worse). is there a specific thread for warning signs or like a timeline somewhere? I dont have a doctor and dont have insurance. like i said, i know this isnt the place for medical advice... but now im reading that withdrawal symptoms can last for weeks (or months) so i guess im wondering what the time frame gererally is for the dangerous ones?
Old 01-23-2013, 07:42 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
A work in progress

I don't know anyone who started feeling terrible again after feeling better, for what that's worth. Probably still a good idea to get checked out by a doctor at some point, just to be sure you don't have high liver enzymes indicating serious damage from the drinking.
Old 01-23-2013, 07:56 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

If you are worried go to the ER. you can call in sick for the rest of the week. nobody has to know. the DTs can be fatal. the doctors can't tell anybody about your condition without your permission. It's the HIPPA laws. The ER has to take you with or without insurance
Old 01-24-2013, 05:33 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

my withdrawls were the worst at day 4 in the middle of the nite.
day three wasnt as bad as two. but it snuck up on me.
i went t o the hospital, they said it was good that i did.

If you are having all those withdrawl symptoms let this be the last time you go thru them
It could be your last if not careful.

i know that i didnt have one more in me before the ultimate sacrifice
Old 01-24-2013, 08:02 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

We are all different and I don't know what your drinking history is. For me the first 24 hours were the worst and then the next 24 were better. By day 3 I was usually back to normal.

Unfortunately by day 6 or 7 I would develop some memory loss regarding my recent detox. After a week or so it wasn't unusual to start thinking, "Ya know, I can probably still drink and be ok if only I do "x" differently this time.
Old 01-24-2013, 08:56 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Mine were horrible day 1 and I should have been hospitalized I thought I was dieing and I likely was close. After that I still felt like crap but tolerable.

It is different for everyone but I would see a doctor for a bunch of reasons. Alcohol withdrawl is very serious stuff and can be fatal.
Old 01-24-2013, 04:46 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Zebra1275 View Post
We are all different and I don't know what your drinking history is. For me the first 24 hours were the worst and then the next 24 were better. By day 3 I was usually back to normal.

Unfortunately by day 6 or 7 I would develop some memory loss regarding my recent detox. After a week or so it wasn't unusual to start thinking, "Ya know, I can probably still drink and be ok if only I do "x" differently this time.
same exact thing for me. I'd be totally back to normal, working, communicating, by day three...and by day 10....I'd be drunk.
Old 01-25-2013, 04:35 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Get to a Hospital or to your doctor. Not only will your blood sugar be too high or too low, you can suffer dysrhythmias (cardiac rhythm issues etc). DT can be potential fatal, so can Wernicke–Korsakoff syndrome. You need a proper assessment.
Old 01-25-2013, 09:45 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

My withdrawls were always horrible, night sweats, shaking etc. But I would always start drinking again. Don't think that "detoxing" for a few days or weeks is the cure.

The next time I went through withdrawl I had a Grand Mal seizure. Then another. Then another. Then, finally, I went to rehab. My next seizure could have been the death of me. I am so happy I got rid of this beast, and most of all my family is happy that I'm still alive.

I would suggest checking yourself into a Detox center next time. Also work with the detox center to get you placed in a long-term in-patient program. It's just 3 weeks of your life, and it'll change you for the better. Just my .02. Good luck.
Old 01-25-2013, 09:53 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

risk if seizure goes way down after the first 72 hours.
Old 01-25-2013, 02:39 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
~sb

Although the high risk of a seizure reduces by day 3, there are documented seizures as late as 20 days into recovery.

It's always best to see a doctor.
Old 01-25-2013, 07:07 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Bottom line, you don't ever want to have a seizure. They're frightening and can be deadly, not something to take lightly at all. Safety first with that kind of thing, big time.