Notices

Strange sensation eating soup

Old 01-13-2013, 06:14 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Strange sensation eating soup

Ok now that I got your attention with the weird title, I just wanted to mention this sensation I have.

When I was drinking at my heaviest, at the and there were a few times where I would go out to lunch during the work day and ordered soup. In addition to the horrible anxiety I would have during the work day, when I would try to hold the a spoon in my right hand I wouldn't be able to control it from shaking.

Once a coworker noticed, it was very embarrassing... but at that point I still hadn't acknowledged to myself that it was from the alcohol.

Well I've been sober now for just over 13 months now, and even just the other day, when I picked up a soup spoon I still had that physical feeling of anxiety and that I was going to shake. Of course I didn't, and it passed in probably 5 seconds, and I enjoyed my soup.

I was just wondering if anyone else has experienced this. I wonder if it'll ever go away. Maybe it shouldn't.... that sensation was so awful maybe this reminder will keep me sober for today.
Old 01-13-2013, 09:54 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
~sb

I ate more soup while drinking, too. I did that since solid food messed with me a lot.

I still enjoy soup today, though.
Old 01-14-2013, 02:28 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

That's really interesting but I should imagine it'll go away.
It would be something a psychologist would like to hear. I guess it might have got worse but as you have done 13 months of sobriety it sounds like a memory.
I'm sure they will go ,but amazing if it occasionally turned up to remind you of how things could be and keep you on your path.
I do know someone with social phobia who also drank heavily that had a similar thing with tea cups and saucers and as his drinking got worse so did his phobia and the rattling.
Regard and fantastic for breaking the cycle.
John.
Old 01-14-2013, 02:43 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

YES! I had this exact same sensation. I never really got shakes, but would have slight tremors if I didn't eat enough after a night of heavy drinking. I would hold glasses with two hands, because of it. (Of course, I shouldn't attribute this entirely to low blood sugar. :-) )

What eradicated the anxiety for me, was telling myself that my hands were now steady, as are yours. Thoughts in our heads can travel down to our hands. Maybe change your thoughts?
Old 01-14-2013, 04:26 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I can relate to this sensation. Congrats on your sober time, that's quite the accomplishment! Sometimes today I still shake when I grab little things with precision (like soup, you can't tilt the spoon or you spill) and I think it's just a nervous tick from when I did actually shake. It's like having jitters from coffee I guess, but very emotional in an odd way. By God's good graces may we never have to go back there.
Old 01-14-2013, 04:55 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Trudger of Happy Destiny

I can definitely relate. I believe it's probably psychological at this point.
Old 01-14-2013, 05:03 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
LDT

Yep, me as we'll. It happened in front of my family a few times. Once we were eating Chinese at a restaurant, and I just could not hold the spoon still for my soup. I was really relieved to look around and see other people sipping soup straight from their tiny bowls. So that's what I did, too...... Trust me, the sensation will pass. Took a while for me.

Well done on your sober time.
Old 01-14-2013, 05:37 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
~sb

Our body cells have amazing memories.
Old 01-14-2013, 06:29 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

When heavily drinking daily was to me, I found that I was shaking in the morning. Interestingly enough, my addiction blinded me to the reality that it was the booze that was responsible.

My addiction had me believe that I had low blood sugar. Later on, I knew it was the booze.
Old 01-14-2013, 02:44 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Congratulations on your sober time!

I know that exact feeling you are talking about. I got anxious about having the shakes and it made the shakes worse!!

It feels great to not have to worry about having the shakes, because they suck.
Old 01-15-2013, 09:55 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

or try eating a salad with your boss.
I remember trying to pick up a chickpea with my fork and get it to my mouth.
nOW I LOOK BACK AND THINK THIS IS HILARIOUS BUT THEN IT WAS A TERRIFYING CHALLENGE
Old 01-15-2013, 10:03 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

The shakes...oh yeah....they are the worst. Mine started last year, I blamed it on my meds (not completely untrue but.)

I am a painter and it really has interfered with my work. Not like my brain fog was much help.

I have seen people notice, they look like they feel sorry for you. I never thought they knew it was from drinking...but that was my denial voice.

I am so early in recovery 15 days and counting. I hope to be where you are!
Old 01-15-2013, 01:37 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

you can get there.
If i can, you can. Evryone says that but i know i feel it.
I really thought i was a hopeless case. Might as well keep drinkin, cant stop.

just keep going, one day after another and the days will add up.