Notices

Miscellaneous Ramblings

Old 01-10-2013, 07:34 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Miscellaneous Ramblings

Once again I find myself back in the forums. I posted about a DUI I received back in September and was lucky enough to have it dropped to a lesser charge. So....why am I here today? Since my arrest I've only drank on two occasions and my relationship with my wife is strained to say the least due to alcohol. Long story short, she wants the marriage to end, she is worried to death that another alcohol related incident will take place and that I may kill somebody while driving. We both love each other very much and our fights always revolve around alcohol. I truly want to quit drinking. I have tried and tried...yadda yadda yadda......on my own, but even though I've lessened my usage it still exists. I've been to many an AA meeting, have had two assessments (the results were that I didn't seem to have a problem....hmmmm?) but I know I do have a problem and want to quit for good. Tonight I looked at some of the other programs out there, specifically SMART. Still not 100% sure what it entails. Reading these forums seems to get me the same information as an AA meeting, I'm not ruling them out but I was not particularly fond of them. I know everyones path to sobriety is different but I guess I'm looking, not sure exactly for what, but looking....after lurking for a few hours I felt the need to write something hence the title.
Old 01-10-2013, 08:24 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
Have you read in the secular connections forum? There is some good reading on alternatives to 12 step models, specifically the threads on AVRT. Check it out and see if it's something you might want to apply.

I've had similar "assessments" in the past too that also said I didn't have a problem LOL blacking out on a regular basis is a problem. Good on you for seeing through that as rubbish and deciding to quit for good. You don't need an assessment. I'm guessing you already know everything you need to know about you and booze.

You are capable of doing this if it's what you want. You really are.
Old 01-10-2013, 08:32 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

I got myself a drug and alcohol counsellor. I found this to be very beneficial. I couldn't quit on my own either. He was even able to recommend daytox for me.