Notices

Day10

Old 01-10-2013, 07:18 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Buddhist

Day10

Trying again to quit, I'm pass the nightmares and sweats but I have one symptom that I don't see anyone else having. Research on google doesn't even show anything.

The first meal of the day, shortly after I feel nauseous and feel on the constant urge to puke. Sitting down feels uncomfortable, I can't be in public places as I'm worried I might puke and I constantly have to have a bottle of water with me to sip on. When I burp I feel relieved, but the gross feeling comes back.
Old 01-10-2013, 07:24 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

It may be due to withdrawal or have nothing to do with withdrawal.
Have you seen a Dr?

D
Old 01-10-2013, 07:30 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Buddhist

I see a naturopath doctor, but all my odd stomach issues happened the first time I tried quitting alcohol which was like 6 months ago.

My breakfast is like greek yogurt, blueberries, hemp hearts and oats and I was feeling sick from 9am to about 7PM. It wrecks my entire day, and it happened late yesterday as well and when it does happen I have to avoid all public places. Really frustrating. Sometimes I regret trying to sober up as alcohol makes me feel better but I know I need to quit for my health.
Old 01-10-2013, 07:43 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I have nothing against naturopath treatments at all but I wouldn't go to a naturopath for a diagnosis myself.

Naturopaths are not usually MDs, in my country anyway.

only a MD can really find out if there's some kind of physical issue there IMO.

of course you're free to disagree - ultimately it's your call

D
Old 01-11-2013, 12:36 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Buddhist

Mine was a MD but didn't like how doctor just prescribed medicine to hide symptoms so he became a naturopath.

I was just hoping to find someone with similar issues from quitting alcohol. He did suggest inflamed gallbladder. I think the hardest part about quitting is loosing all your friends and being extrememly bored. Society is based on socializing/drinking
Old 01-12-2013, 10:03 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Alcohol Withdrawal

Remember when one is going through alcohol withdrawal they can have a seizure which can be fatal. You should consult and MD
Old 01-13-2013, 07:04 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Fellow Traveler and Seeker

Originally Posted by pimpjuice View Post
Society is based on socializing/drinking
With all due respect, I disagree. It might seem like that when we stop drinking, but the fact is that there are considerably more things out there that don't involve drinking than those which involve drinking. Of course we tend to focus on alcohol-based activities when we are drinking, and even into early recovery. It's the only life we know, so of course getting in on the world in a non-drinking capacity seems limiting. But it's quite the opposite. Society has a wide band of components - art, athletics, culture, etc. - and most of those don't involve alcohol. And we can socialize without booze (as difficult as that may seem).

Boredom seems to be a common by-product of new sobriety - take a cursory glance around the forums here and people mention it often, and the overwhelming response to these people is that there is so much more out there. I remember feeling that way too. But once I started to look around and find joy in other things (including my own recovery - that takes time and effort too), I found myself very busy. Today I have a pretty packed life - totally different than how things were when I drank. And this is something you will find too.
Old 01-13-2013, 07:10 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
~sb

Alcohol changes the entire digestive system. Why not change up your breakfast to a bowl of oatmeal, only, then maybe yogurt and fruit as a mid-morning snack? It takes time for the body to heal from our self-inflicted damage.
Old 01-13-2013, 07:27 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

This sounds like something to be checked out for sure- it seems very concrete not like something psychosomatic. "Stomach" issues like this are nothing to toy with- my buddy had similar issues with nausea mild stomach pain for weeks, it turned out his appendix had ruptured and what would have been an outpatient simple surgery turned into a nearly 2 week deal with all sorts of problems. At one point he was looking at 6 weeks in the hospital from delaying treatment.
Old 01-13-2013, 11:04 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Buddhist

I don't have any pains at all, just this odd feeling when I'm sitting and not moving around. It's slowly getting better and I can eat tons later in the day. It feel better if I'm walking around and burp

I actually slipped up yesterday and had one drink.. Not sure if thats a big slip up but it relaxed me.

I've looked around the forum and some of the ideas beside drinking and maybe I seen the wrong page they ideas seem pretty depressing. I like to network and meet people. Yoga I'm starting on Tuesday privately, now I have 6 more evenings to fill my boredom
Old 01-14-2013, 08:09 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Fellow Traveler and Seeker

A slip is a slip, but glad you're back

Nowhere does it say we can't meet people and network! It's a good thing to get out and live life rather than living in our own heads...no good comes from living in our own heads.

Yoga is a great thing to get into - body, mind, spirit all get a workout.

A program of recovery will also keep you busy.

Good luck
Old 01-14-2013, 12:47 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Buddhist

Yeah it's been quite difficult as I have all this free time.. I guess my slip up wasn't so bad and didn't go over one drink.

Six years alcohol has been part of my daily life and my job was inside the clubs, promotions and bringing in international DJ's. Getting paid to party sums it up

Slowly but surely got to fill in the gaps and find better use of my time.
Old 01-14-2013, 01:21 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
A work in progress

I suggest you work on tolerating being bored. Seriously.

Alcoholics tend to be all about stimulation--either we are trying to feel something different or we are trying to numb out uncomfortable feelings.

Boredom is a fact of life, at least occasionally. You don't have to be entertained 24/7. You will eventually find stimulating things to do, but learn to tolerate the boredom first. Embrace it. Meditate on it while you are doing yoga (great idea, BTW!). Some networking activities involve SOME of the people drinking. You may be surprised to find that not everyone drinks their way through them. I suggest you avoid those as much as possible until you are feeling a bit more solid in your sobriety.

I've got four and a half years of sobriety, and I spent the past week networking with some enthusiastic recreational drinkers. Most, if not all, don't have a problem with alcohol. I do. So yeah, I was a little uncomfortable during the conversation that focused on ordering drinks and sharing about it (excessively, IMO). After three dinners like that, I went to a meeting instead of dinner the fourth night. It got me re-centered, and the drinking going on around me on the fifth night did not even faze me.

That's what continued sobriety will do. I enjoyed the rest of the conversation (the part that wasn't about drinking), and had a nice meal. You will get there, but you have to walk before you can run.

You are not consigned to a life of boredom by getting sober. It will feel that way in the beginning, but it won't stay that way. Alcoholics are notoriously impatient. When we drink, we want that good buzz NOW. When we get sober, we don't want to mess around with all that boredom and awkwardness and discomfort, we want those Promises to come true NOW, before we have done any of the work that brings them about.

I feel ya, I really do. It will get better. In the meantime, learn to be bored.
Old 01-14-2013, 06:32 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Buddhist

I did some acupuncture to help with the addiction and went out tonight for food while everyone was drinking alcohol. Oddly I didn't have the urge and went with a water/lime with confidence.

It's so odd how such a deadly drug such as alcohol is legal.. add cigarettes to the list which I never touched in my life

It does feel good to be sober