Notices

Hello Again! 1 Year Later...

Old 01-07-2013, 09:51 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Wil

Hello Again! 1 Year Later...

I signed up for this forum over a year ago and haven't posted in probably a year but just wanted to let everyone know I'm still going strong; no alcohol in over 14 months! I can't say I'm free of all addiction because I dip occasionally and I do require sleep meds to go to sleep. My biggest problem was alcohol and I have it whooped so far.

After staying sober for a year it got harder because that was the landmark I was looking for and then once it passed I was like now what? I know I can't drink moderately because that's not my personality; I'm all or nothing with everything.

This forum really helped me out at first but I haven't been on here in a while. I hope everybody is doing well and thanks for such a well-needed and supportive community.
Old 01-07-2013, 09:53 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congrats. Good for you. Thanks for posting. Gives us newcomers something to look forward to. Love to know what you have done to maintain your sobriety.
Old 01-07-2013, 11:22 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Wil

I had a kid a couple months before I quit and I saw that I was not a very good father the way I was. My dad was an alcoholic and saw how well he did with me and I just wanted to attempt to break the cycle. Lord knows I got his addictive gene though and that's probably something that gets passed on and on, but the bad parenting may not be totally avoided,but at least I wanted to be sober when making my mistakes. I knew alcohol would eventually kill me because I'm 36 and I've been an alcoholic since I was probably 20. That's a long time! It wasn't too late to get out so I did, or at least have so far....

I found a couple of hobbies along the way. I bought a guitar that's collecting dust, learned all about home audio and installed a great sound system throughout house. The great thing was I had all the extra money from not drinking to do all these hobbies. It's amazing how much slower your bank account goes down when you don't drink every day. That was the biggest draw to me when I first quit drinking. It's fun to have extra money!

I lost over 20 lbs in a year and my face is much thinner. I was bloated from the alcohol for sure. I started back playing tennis seriously. I hit a low when I tore some cartilage in my knee and had to get surgery, but I didn't start back drinking even though I was rather depressed. You just need to find something else to do that you enjoy. Angry Birds is pretty fun too!

I'm glad I stopped and life is much better without, but I do miss it here and there but it was such a dark place that I truly don't want to go back to.
Old 01-07-2013, 12:04 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
~sb

We missed you, Wil!

Congrats on the continuous sober time!

Old 01-07-2013, 02:00 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

congratulations Wil

D
Old 01-07-2013, 03:16 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Wil, if you're not drinking like I can only imagine you once were, that deserves a congratulations!! Good for you, and that's awesome that you haven't picked up a drink in 14 months. YIPPPY!!!!!
Old 01-07-2013, 07:55 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Inspiring congrats
Old 01-07-2013, 08:18 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I remember you, Wil. It's great to hear you are doing well & still sober. That's fantastic.
Old 01-07-2013, 10:09 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Smile

14mths is great, thanks for sharing, glad things are going well.