Notices

Wernicke-Korsakoff syndrome.

Old 01-05-2013, 12:58 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Wernicke-Korsakoff syndrome.

Does anyone know much about this syndrome? I was explaining some symptoms I am having recently to a RN I know and she mentioned this. I have an appointment with my doctor next week and plan on asking him. I'm not looking for medical advice, just wondering if anyone out there has this or knows much about it. Apparently it's a result of low thiamine and can occur in alcoholics.
Old 01-05-2013, 12:59 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Did you google it?
Old 01-05-2013, 01:00 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yes I googled. Just wanted some responses from actual people that might have it.
Old 01-05-2013, 01:05 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

there was a recent thread on this-I think in the newcomers section='wet brain' which you may find helpful.
Old 01-05-2013, 01:11 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Sie

Seems very sad... good luck with it...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDcy...e_gdata_player
Old 01-05-2013, 01:38 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'm no expert, but from what I read, it has symptoms similar to Alzheimer's. Forgetfulness, memory loss, confusion, etc. I think it's quite extreme and has a pretty sudden onset. I'm hoping for you that it's simply a symptom of post acute withdrawal. Good luck!
Old 01-05-2013, 09:15 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I think someone with W-S wouldn't be able to use a keyboard. I wouldn't worry. And I wouldn't let a RN do a doctor's job and offer diagnoses over the phone.
Old 01-06-2013, 04:01 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MemphisBlues View Post
I think someone with W-S wouldn't be able to use a keyboard. I wouldn't worry. And I wouldn't let a RN do a doctor's job and offer diagnoses over the phone.
^ This. A guy who sometimes comes to my home group seems to have it. It's very sad, he doesn't seem to know where he is or who I am most of the time.

Wait and see what your doctor says but try not to worry in the meantime. When I stopped drinking I kept forgetting where I put things/wasn't sure what was going on due to PAWs. W-S is far more extreme.
Old 01-06-2013, 04:17 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Towards the end of my drinking career, I read all about "wet brain" on the internet and thought for sure I had it. Of course, I didn't and caused myself lots of needless worry. If you're concerned, please see a doctor, don't diagnose yourself on the internet.
Old 01-06-2013, 04:54 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

i am sure there is some forum based group on this some where on the internet where you can chat, and post on it
Old 01-06-2013, 07:34 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
~sb

Search for: The Immortal Alcoholic and read that blog.... I think it's also a book now.
Old 01-06-2013, 08:01 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Wernicke-Korsakoff syndrome is indeed a very extreme condition. I've seen a documentary about people who suffer from it and those people wouldn't be capable of posting a topic like this by themselves.
Old 01-06-2013, 08:30 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone for the responses. As I read more about this syndrome, I realized it is extreme. I am just having a lot of confusion and some memory loss, and of course it has me worried. I'm sure it's all part of becoming sober, but it sure is frustrating. Thanks again!
Old 01-06-2013, 08:45 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I have read about it . If you had it you would'nt be able to recall what you did yesterday. I took a class about alcohol abuse and the instructor said that alcoholics who had brain damage could not move their pinky finger from the rest of their fingers. Hold out your hand , with your fingers together and move your pinky away from them while keeping the rest of them together. If you can do that you are not like a permanently brain damaged alcoholic.
Old 01-06-2013, 02:16 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
~sb

We think alcohol doesn't do anything to us....

This is your brain healing.
Old 01-06-2013, 02:49 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sugarbear1 View Post
We think alcohol doesn't do anything to us....
And we think we can walk away from it with impunity ....... Good luck with that !

All the best.

Bob R
Old 03-13-2014, 01:27 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hi, my husband has this syndrome with onset on May 2012. He had ataxia, nistagmus, delirium, and lost his short-term memory and motor skills. He was limp. From January 2013 on he has been working on his recovery, quite successfully. His efforts to improve (when he makes them) always have been fulfilling so far. What would you like to know?
Old 03-13-2014, 01:29 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Drexo View Post
Wernicke-Korsakoff syndrome is indeed a very extreme condition. I've seen a documentary about people who suffer from it and those people wouldn't be capable of posting a topic like this by themselves.
Not in the acute phase, but after treatment and vitamin replenishment, they might, in some lucky cases.