Notices

'Tis The Season For Relapse..Or Is It??

Old 12-28-2012, 06:43 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

'Tis The Season For Relapse..Or Is It??

I noticed a huge amount of posters recently relapsing. Many blame the holiday. However, I will likely see the same theme repeating itself of 4th of July. Or perhaps Halloween or maybe even Labor Day or Superbowl Sunday. I had 53 relapses before my current sobriety (18+ months minus a day). The truth for me was that I picked up when the emotional pain of sobriety was greater than I could withstand. It took me many years of detoxes, treatment centers, jails & meetings but I realize this today. So for those who drank, "get back on the wagon" and know that you also can withstand the harsh realities of every day life.
Old 12-28-2012, 06:58 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I learned that there never was a "good" time to get sober... Always a party coming up, trip to Vegas, birthday gathering, family event, sports events etc.... List does not end, and my alcoholic mind did a great job extending it...

Sobriety first. Always.
Old 12-28-2012, 07:15 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

[QUOTE=TorontoGuy28;3738551]I learned that there never was a "good" time to get sober... Always a party coming up, trip to Vegas, birthday gathering, family event, sports events etc.... List does not end, and my alcoholic mind did a great job extending it...

Very true. I once knew a guy who decided to have one last bender before entering treatment. He ended up overdosing on alcohol & other drugs on the last day of the binge.
Old 12-28-2012, 09:10 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yes, I could have relapsed. I had family at my house for 6 days. They are slobs and it drove me NUTS. And they got drunk the whole time. Or at least my SIL did.

I would wind up divorcing my husband if his mother ever came to live with us.
Old 12-28-2012, 10:58 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I have actually changed my new years plans for this exact reason. I was originally going to go to one set of friends but I definitely do know there will be alcohol at this party.

While I do think I will manage to be around them without a problem, I just don't want to put myself through this needlessly.

So confirmed today for a party with family who I know won't have anything more than a bottle of champagne (if that) for the countdown.
Old 12-28-2012, 11:17 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

The majority of folks in my family drink responsibly & some may bring a 6pack of imported microbrew or nice bottle of wine. However, if I showed up with a pint of cheap vodka & my crack pipe I would be shunned.