Notices

It's Friday, what do you do instead of drinking?

Old 12-07-2012, 03:24 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

It's Friday, what do you do instead of drinking?

Well I'm coming up on my second weekend of alcohol abstinence. Although this may be a topic that is constantly brought up, and if so I do apologize, what do you do instead of drink and party during your weekends? Can you still go out and enjoy yourself without drinking? I feel like if I went out at this point I would give in due to feeling socially awkward. Just wanted to get some ideas of what you all choose to do/drink/eat as healthy replacements instead of drinking alcohol.
Old 12-07-2012, 05:03 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

For the first year or two I went to a meeting Friday night... and every other night for that matter.

All the best.

Bob R
Old 12-07-2012, 05:09 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
DAB

Tonight I went Christmas shopping.
I stopped at the Library and got about 4 CD's and a DVD.
Now I'm making supper (Indian Cuisine)
Later I'm going to listen to the CD's, and chill with my wife and watch a DVD she rented earlier. Coffee is the new beer.
Old 12-07-2012, 05:16 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

For me, and the fellows of THP, I am a newcomer that tries to spend all the free time I used to use drinking (and other outside issues) in the rooms listening to all the pain and laughter so very prevelent there. I have fun before and after the meetings fellowshipping and getting to know the old timers and there quirks, and the newcomers that are still very sick. Today I try to live as God would have me be, instead of how I used to die so slowly...
Old 12-07-2012, 05:28 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I am speaking about myself here. But my second weekend sober,there ain't anything I could have done without obsessing about booze. I just rented movies and watched TV.
I had failed enough,that I had a good idea where I would screw up. (which was doing much of anything). It may sound like eternity looking forward. But it took me 30 days or so before I let my guard down any at all. But I drank for 30+ years. But when you look back 30 days isn't that long at all.
I did as 2 Granddaughters did for my first 6 months. (AA) But I only wen't 3 nights a week. (Friday was one of them).
Quitting was very difficult for me. So I had to give up anything I thought might be a trigger,until I was very sure of myself.
Just my experience on it.
Fred
Old 12-07-2012, 05:31 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Maybe relaxing music? Or a favorite old movie?
Old 12-07-2012, 05:55 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

It's great to hear what everyone is doing this Friday night as well as suggestions. Thank you for that. At this time in my life all I can think about is how much better any activity I am doing would be with alcohol involved. I'm trying to think about the positives though like how I won't have a hang over when I hang out with my girlfriend and how I will actually remember what I am watching, even though it seems like it'd be more enjoyable with alcohol. I made some tea and decided to lay in bed and watch some Doctor Who. I guess this is just a feeling I'm going to have to get used to, enjoying something without alcohol; feels so strange. I guess tea is my new beer.
Old 12-07-2012, 06:16 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Mine was tea tonight too! Nice to feel good on Sat am!
Old 12-07-2012, 06:29 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Tonight, I am laughing at the SNL Christmas show. Many weekends, though, we go to a Karaoke coffee shop in town that is "Sober". The owner has been sober for 25 years and built the place a few years ago. It is a lot of fun! I love to sing and am good at it, but would never sing in public until the first time I got drunk. Now I can sing sober and it is amazing.
Old 12-07-2012, 06:42 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
~sb

chatroom.....and making stew......
Old 12-07-2012, 06:44 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Good question. I often wonder about it myself. I'm about 3 1/2 months sober. Until further notice, I will be going to meetings every Friday and Saturday night. I still obsess about alcohol but going to meetings and working the steps of AA keeps me away from the first drink ... for today.
Old 12-07-2012, 06:49 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
jra

Since I drank every night, I face this problem each evening . . . I'm still trying to set a routine to get through the boredom, anxiousness, etc, all the cues that would trigger drinking.

At the moment, I watch TV, read on the iPad, and drink diet ginger ale and eat a few Reese's minis.

Diet ginger ale is my new booze . . . I go into a panic if there aren't several bottles in the house. I don't mind though. Panicking over diet ginger ale is better than the panic I used to go into when the house was low in booze.

The ritual of drinking a few glasses of diet giner ale is helping me adjust to not drinking a few glasses of wine (followed by shots of vodka).
Old 12-07-2012, 06:51 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I do the ginger ale too- it's refreshing too...
Old 12-07-2012, 07:02 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Day 4 here. I had my mind set on buying some alcohol tonight and try to give moderation* another go. I don't know what happened, but by the grace of whatever, I didn't buy any alcohol and am sober at 9pm on a Friday. I feel like I'm in the clear for tonight. Gonna make some tea and catch up on some tv.

*moderation attempt will inevitably turn into a month long daily drunken bender. How do i know this? 100% of my attempts have ended in a horrible bender. Grateful for being sober today.
Old 12-07-2012, 07:17 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

so much more time when you don't have to worry about: planning to drink, buying the drinks, drinking the drinks, hiding the evidence, covering your tracks...and that's all before the regret and pain kicks in the next day. here's what i've done with this sober friday night so far: walked the 45 minutes home from work instead of taking the bus, stopped to do some christmas shopping for my wife on the way, had dinner with my family, marveled at how pretty our christmas tree looks tonight, and how lucky i am...and posted on this forum.
Old 12-07-2012, 07:45 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Fellow Traveler and Seeker

I usually work Friday nights, but today I didn't, so I just hung out with the kids, spoke to a sponsee, walked the dog and cooked some food. It's not partying, but at least I can remember what I did, I can take it in as it happens, and it all comes from a place of love and gratitude.
Old 12-07-2012, 07:47 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hey Anticom,

Good to meet you. I go to the gym when I'm dying for a pint.

Good luck my man
T
Old 12-07-2012, 07:51 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Kevah- I don't think I could ever do karaoke sober(I have an awful singing voice) but more power to you! :P
mwstylee- I'm so glad to hear that you decided not to buy any alcohol tonight, and that you recognize that your attempts at moderation will turn into a horrible bender, recognition is so important.
To the rest of you, I'm pleased to hear that you are having a wonderful night without the use of alcohol. Even though it may still be in the back of our minds, we will be stronger, healthier, and happier individuals without alcohol in the long run; of this we can be sure.
Old 12-07-2012, 07:59 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Went to dinner and to see "Silver Linings Playbook" with my hubby. Awesome movie-one we both liked a lot.
Old 12-07-2012, 08:05 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

currently watching SOA. I record it on Tuesday and always watch it on Friday night