Notices

My story if it really matters

Old 12-06-2012, 08:02 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My story if it really matters

So Since 2002 I’ve been drinking steadidly more and more and now I’m at the point to where its every day so yea it’s just beer but it is what it is….

My brother died an alcoholic and I don’t want to go there. He reached out and reached out and I tried all I could but could not help him all I have is the knowing in my heart that the drink had his body and mind but God had his heart and soul… I know this with every part of me.

My life constantly changes and I just need some normality to it all...it really doesn’t matter where or why it started I’m here and I’m in the NOW and I WANT to stop I just can’t seem to do it. I can’t even set a date because every day brings on more issues to deal with and I no longer can or want to deal with them without a drink.

I could get very specific but what difference would it make in the long run?

Sorry for the rant or whatever but I just got to release some stuff...baby steps I suppose.

Not much of a story either but it's a start for me.

Will you help me to take those big girl steps?
Old 12-06-2012, 08:11 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Glad you are here. You are not alone.
Your story is significant and you have indeed taken a great first step. Keep reading and posting. We can and do get better.
Old 12-06-2012, 08:43 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks for sharing your story. It inspires me. I wouldnt set a date. I would just not drink tomorrow. Just one day is it. Just tomorrow and before you go to bed post here how you did. Then we can discuss the next day.
Old 12-06-2012, 09:04 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I pray that you find the strength and courage to find sobriety and live free of this addiction! Many prayers!
Old 12-06-2012, 09:39 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by redneckrecovery View Post
Thanks for sharing your story. It inspires me. I wouldnt set a date. I would just not drink tomorrow. Just one day is it. Just tomorrow and before you go to bed post here how you did. Then we can discuss the next day.
That's the thing with me ..it's like.. don't drink then we can discuss it. I want to discuss NOW I want to be encouraged or *whipped* into it and I know, I know ,I gotta want to do it on my own...I just can't get there yet......I need someone anyone to tell me that I got to STOP someone that gives a care whether I do or don't..*sigh*

Yea I'm all out there on a limb hangin' by my nails..and it's pathetic I know but there I am.
Old 12-06-2012, 09:52 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by exauhsted View Post
I know, I know ,I gotta want to do it on my own...I just can't get there yet......I need someone anyone to tell me that I got to STOP someone that gives a care whether I do or don't..*sigh*
If you did not want this, really want this, you would not be on this site doing what you are doing, that is a big step (I know it was for me). You need to keep reaching and finding why you need this more than you need the pain & anxiety that the drinking has brought you. You can do it, you already are!
Old 12-06-2012, 09:55 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Thanume View Post
If you did not want this, really want this, you would not be on this site doing what you are doing, that is a big step (I know it was for me).
That's what I'm saying...thank You
Old 12-06-2012, 10:03 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

What i was trying to say is that i dont think about tomorrows sobriety, or the next days sobriety. I will worry about that and discuss it tomorrow. For me it is all i can do to stay sober today.

Coming here is the step forward.
Old 12-06-2012, 10:41 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Stop drinking.

Read my thread to see what I went through. I am on day 20.

It is hard, but strangely enjoyable and interesting.

So, just stop and make sure you document everything you are going through here. It will help you, us, and all those in the future you are leading the way for.
Old 12-06-2012, 11:06 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

hey, ex!

You might have a look at the AVRT,threads on the the Secular Connections board here on SR. Lots of good stuff. Rational Recovery really helped me make sense of it all. AA is a good program too but AVRT and RR helped me the most.

Stick around, there's lots of great people here and great suppor!

Love from Lenina
Old 12-07-2012, 07:23 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

If you don't mind my asking and don't mind answering you said your life constantly changes and you need normalcy. Why does your life constantly change?

BTW - My brother died an alcoholic also and his heart and soul were pure too. I could do nothing to save him - I feel that pain for you.
Old 12-07-2012, 10:24 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

You can overcome your addiction to alcohol, I am currently on day 5 of being sober and I am feeling great, my insides feel alot better and my self confidence is alot better than day 1. I am not having so many cravings now, and I'm doing things to keep my mind off of it. I drank for 6 years (14-20) and I like you, only drank beer. It's a tough road sometimes, but we can do it.
Old 12-07-2012, 10:35 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by exauhsted View Post
So Since 2002 I’ve been drinking steadidly more and more and now I’m at the point to where its every day so yea it’s just beer but it is what it is….

My brother died an alcoholic and I don’t want to go there. He reached out and reached out and I tried all I could but could not help him all I have is the knowing in my heart that the drink had his body and mind but God had his heart and soul… I know this with every part of me.

My life constantly changes and I just need some normality to it all...it really doesn’t matter where or why it started I’m here and I’m in the NOW and I WANT to stop I just can’t seem to do it. I can’t even set a date because every day brings on more issues to deal with and I no longer can or want to deal with them without a drink.

I could get very specific but what difference would it make in the long run?

Sorry for the rant or whatever but I just got to release some stuff...baby steps I suppose.

Not much of a story either but it's a start for me.

Will you help me to take those big girl steps?

Hi Exhausted,

Perfect name ! We have all been there.

Firstly know you have already for taken the BiG girl Step. You have ADMITTED you have an alcohol problem and need help in getting sober.

Do you realize how courageous that is, and exhausting. It is the ultimate tug of war with your own self.
We all have to find our own way to sobriety, though. It is not like you can ask for directions and the map is laid out for you. Get ready for the fight of your life for your life. You need to find your Own reason for seeking sobriety, own it ,never lose site of it.

I would suggest a few things now that your ready to jump into the deep end of the pool:

1-Find yourself an addiction counselor to guide you in this quest. Like a Lifeguard

2-Go to the Library and find some books on "Alcoholism", so you can understand what your dealing with.

3-Do realize you are unfortunately part of a very special club. People predisposed to Alcoholism by genetics. We can tell you a lot of stories but the only one you must work on right now it YOURS. You OWN you sobriety, how you get there is YOUR story. Ask for Guidance by starting with your Doctor and knowledge of the disease.

We will always be here for you to Vent.
Be Strong and keep us posted on your progress.
Trix
Old 12-07-2012, 10:52 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but every time I decided not to drink tomorrow I woke up with a colossal hangover thinking "I did it again".

On the contrary, every day I've not drank TODAY I wake up knowing where I was last night, not regretting what I did the day before, and generally a tiny bit better off than I was.

In short, if you want to stay sober, at some point you'll have to stop drinking. You will never be sober until you do.
Old 12-07-2012, 01:09 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
AAudrey

From what you are saying it sounds like you are powerless over alcohol and your life is unmanageable. That's Step 1. Get to an AA meeting, get a group, get a sponsor and say that you are new.
Old 12-08-2012, 08:20 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

AA is not going to be an option for me(right now) although I'm sure that what they say and can do for me would be great. I live out in the middle of nowhere and there is not an AA in my town I would have to go to the next town over and I don't have the means (at this time) to go there so this is it for me or nothing,otherwise I suppose I wouldn't even be here searching and looking for support. Or maybe I would ...I don't know.
Old 12-08-2012, 09:00 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

"I am Responsible. When anyone, anywhere, reaches out for help, I want the hand of A.A. always to be there. And for that: I am responsible".

That is a declaration read at every AA meeting I attend. Many of us pick up people who have no other way to get to meetings. Figure out a way to get to one and let them know your situation. If there are no meetings in your town then there are probably a few people making that drive already.

Just so you know, I care that you quit drinking.
Old 12-08-2012, 09:49 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
~sb

AA is also online, private email me if you want links.

Meanwhile, alcoholism is progressive. As you know, we drink more and more and more to get the same effect. Beer is alcohol. That was my choice. Every night. After work. Beer. And then more and more and more.

Ethanol alcohol. Does the same damage to the body as ethanol alcohol; whether in the form of beer, wine or liquor, and for me also weed and years ago cocaine.

It all made me feel okay in my own skin and life was tolerable.

Physically, we create a tolerance and therefore require more for that same effect. That is a good reason to stay stopped as more and more and more beer is NOT good for any part of our body.

For me, my alcoholism was that I couldn't live life without drinking. over time, the more I drank, the less social I became.

Not only that, but how the heck do I live without my beer?????

I found a method of recovery for staying stopped that works for me and I work it like my life depends upon it. It helps me to deal with daily life without having to drink alcohol.

There are several methods available. AVRT, SMART, Rational Recovery, AA, Life Ring and Women for Recovery work well. Some people just rely on this website, SR.

For me, living a life without drinking involves the support of other people. People who understand what it is like not drinking and dealing with daily, well, LIFE.

You aren't alone anymore.

Stick around, there's a lot to read here!