Notices

Alcohol Withdrawal Seizures

Old 11-22-2012, 03:44 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Recovering alcoholic

Alcohol Withdrawal Seizures

Has anybody here experienced convulsions when they have stopped drinking without medical advice. I have done, however in my early drinking days my withdrawal syptoms mainly consisted of anxiety, palpitations and eye twiching and feeling so unwell. My brother is an alcoholic who also suffers them. I think it may be down the kindling aspect of multiple detoxes and withdrawal episodes which lead to strong withdrawal symptoms inlcuding fits. My partner said when I stop drinking, I have to be there for you....I.e. if I run out of money etc etc.... They usually happen on the 2nd day I stop drinking...... Just wanted your thoughts and opinions as they used to frighten me so much I just had to drink all the time, in other words, go out stealing alcohol to make sure I won't fit....I am not proud of it. The truth being said I was told to cut down, but I just couldn't acheive that, after I drink I cannot stop until I pass out.
Old 11-22-2012, 04:02 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Not experienced them, no.

I think if you are getting this level of withdrawal, you really do need to get yourself to a doctor / hospital, pronto.

You are from the UK, so you can walk into any hospital and get help (I am originally from North London myself).

I imagine other users of this site would urge you to do the same thing.

As for stealing alcohol, yeah that has to stop, and you know it. Not speaking down to you in any way; I am an alcoholic and know how it feels, just know that you should not be doing that; detoxing in jail is going to a LOT less fun than in hospital.
Old 11-22-2012, 04:04 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Recovering alcoholic

Originally Posted by ZombieAttack View Post
Not experienced them, no.

I think if you are getting this level of withdrawal, you really do need to get yourself to a doctor / hospital, pronto.

You are from the UK, so you can walk into any hospital and get help (I am originally from North London myself).

I imagine other users of this site would urge you to do the same thing.

As for stealing alcohol, yeah that has to stop, and you know it. Not speaking down to you in any way; I am an alcoholic and know how it feels, just know that you should not be doing that; detoxing in jail is going to a LOT less fun than in hospital.
I stopped drinking on the 7 th june this year in prison, i just mentioned this if other people have detoxed and experienced them.
Old 11-22-2012, 04:05 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Jason! I just wanted to let you know that a detox is not something to mess with. PLEASE seek professional medical advice. With my first day of detox (first time detoxing) I had a seizure and believe me, it was not a great deal of fun. My second seizure I also was detoxing, though I was not detoxing intentionally, I just wasn't around alcohol. I wish I was under doctors care after that.

Again, if you feel uncomfortable please seek medical help. This is not something to screw around with. Your life (and your brothers) is worth much more than the price of a bottle. In the US a bottle of wine varies from $2 to over $100. But you can't put a price on your life, your family or your friends.
Old 11-22-2012, 04:08 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Recovering alcoholic

Just for everybodys information I have completely stopped....I mentioned this thread in a purpose of post withdrawal alcoholics I am not experiencing any problems as I have mentioned been dry almost 6 months.
Old 11-22-2012, 04:20 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Way to go Jason!!! keep it going.
Old 11-22-2012, 05:36 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Nice job on the six months. Must have been h#ll detoxing in jail.

Thanks so much for posting - you never know who's going to read it and realize they should talk to their doctor before attempting a detox, or are in such bad shape that they need to get to a hospital asap..... I know detoxing can be deadly. I personally have never had a seizure - they must be very very scary.
Old 11-22-2012, 05:43 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
~sb

anyone can have a seizure as a result of withdrawal from most substances which is why medical consultation is strongly suggested.

it doesn't need to be the result of multiple withdrawals.
Old 11-22-2012, 05:45 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Great job on the 6 monthes! That is kick a**.

I remember when I was drinking like and absolute fish and couldnt get to the liquor store fast enough in the morning because it was so bad the withdrawal came on VERY quickly. I remember hoping I wouldnt start stuttering or going into convulsions as I was buying my booze.

I did end up in the hospital twice. I never actually had a seizure, I had DTs. But my doctor said that the paramedics thought and based on my desciption of a particular experience that I was literally a hairline away from a from a full blown grand mal seizure.

Even that first experience didnt stop me though. I thought if I quit the hard liquor and switched to beer I would be fine. BAD IDEA. Wasnt long before I HAD to have at LEAST 4 beers first thing upon waking to stop the withdrawals because I was so scared of a seizure, and I was too emabarresed to admit to anyone I was still drinking (I was lying through my teeth to everyone about it). And so, yupp, I ended up in the hospital again as I ran out of money and knew I was in big trouble in the middle of the night. Scary thing is, I still had alcohol in my system and it was needing even more.
Old 11-22-2012, 09:46 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

Seizures while detoxing can happen to any one at any time. It does not have to be multiple withdrawals.

I know. I had seizures from 8am until 4:00pm my first full day of stopping alcohol. The problem was my each seizure my heart would stop. At 4:30 that afternoon the ER Dr was writing the T.O.D. on my chart having pronounced me dead after 28 minutes of my heart not starting when my heart started on it's own.

Oh and btw my bac was .38 when the seizures started. My body NEEDED more alcohol, and the seizures started.

No I had never tried to quit before.

Detoxing can be deadly and it is strongly advised by many of us on this site to seek medical help BEFORE attempting to detox.

Good thread, excellent topic! I hope the new folks coming to this site read it and do seek medical help prior to attempting to detox.

Love and hugs,
Old 11-22-2012, 10:06 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Recovering alcoholic

Originally Posted by Windancer View Post
Great job on the 6 monthes! That is kick a**.

I remember when I was drinking like and absolute fish and couldnt get to the liquor store fast enough in the morning because it was so bad the withdrawal came on VERY quickly. I remember hoping I wouldnt start stuttering or going into convulsions as I was buying my booze.

I did end up in the hospital twice. I never actually had a seizure, I had DTs. But my doctor said that the paramedics thought and based on my desciption of a particular experience that I was literally a hairline away from a from a full blown grand mal seizure.

Even that first experience didnt stop me though. I thought if I quit the hard liquor and switched to beer I would be fine. BAD IDEA. Wasnt long before I HAD to have at LEAST 4 beers first thing upon waking to stop the withdrawals because I was so scared of a seizure, and I was too emabarresed to admit to anyone I was still drinking (I was lying through my teeth to everyone about it). And so, yupp, I ended up in the hospital again as I ran out of money and knew I was in big trouble in the middle of the night. Scary thing is, I still had alcohol in my system and it was needing even more.
You know that's EXACTLY how I felt when I didn't have a drink, before I was so scared of having a fit in public I would lock myself away for 4 days without anyone......Truth being said, once I felt well enuff to go an visit another poor bloke who was in hospital through alcohol withdrawal and I was crossing a dual carriageway and then I remember being in an ambulnace, no cuts or bruises because as I came out of the hospital, the paramedics saw me collapse in the middle of the road, I didn't know what was going on, I was found convulsing and stopped all the traffic, I am blesssed to still be alive, that was a shocker. But they started happening frewuently after heavy sessions and I HAD to be kept an eye on, I remember my last seizure it happened indoors, i was playing Tomb Raider AND THEN my arm went up in the air, i got very confused and my neck turned and I knew I was gonna have one, and that was my last fit May this year. For those who want to know that when I was in prison, I had a librium detox, as they treat addicts in prisons here in the UK, not sure about wherever else. The sad part is my mother passed away through a seizure and it goes to show you that it can be very dangerous if unsupervised!
Old 11-22-2012, 10:09 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Recovering alcoholic

Originally Posted by laurie6781 View Post
Seizures while detoxing can happen to any one at any time. It does not have to be multiple withdrawals.

I know. I had seizures from 8am until 4:00pm my first full day of stopping alcohol. The problem was my each seizure my heart would stop. At 4:30 that afternoon the ER Dr was writing the T.O.D. on my chart having pronounced me dead after 28 minutes of my heart not starting when my heart started on it's own.

Oh and btw my bac was .38 when the seizures started. My body NEEDED more alcohol, and the seizures started.

No I had never tried to quit before.

Detoxing can be deadly and it is strongly advised by many of us on this site to seek medical help BEFORE attempting to detox.

Good thread, excellent topic! I hope the new folks coming to this site read it and do seek medical help prior to attempting to detox.

Love and hugs,
And to you, but I have learnt if you google "kindling" it's a saying that multiple detoxes and withdrawals lead to more serious symptoms Just FYI. Pronounced dead, OMG that must have been scary, God brought you back knowing it wasn't your time Amen to that! x
Old 11-22-2012, 10:42 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Recovering alcoholic

For anyone interested on a detailed read here is a link about multiple withdrawal episodes:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kindling_(substance_withdrawal)
Old 11-22-2012, 04:39 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I haven't had any personally, but once I met someone who would have them without alcohol.

I've only known a few alcoholics in real life, and this person was the only one I can say was a very serious alcoholic. He needed to drink every waking moment of the day and if he didn't start drinking first thing in the morning, would get violent shakes and withdraws.
He one day wasn't able to get his sauce in which he went into violent shakes and possibly a seizure which ended with him being rushed off the the ER and was sent to rehab after he stabilized.
It was a pretty eye opening experience to see someone so violently addicted to alcohol, and the sad part was he was only 20 years old.
Old 11-26-2012, 08:05 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Good job on quitting

I had a seizure when I quit. I had tried to quit a few times before with less severe symptoms, but each time I relapsed and got a little worse each time. The third time, I was experiencing the same symptoms as before, but far worse. Definitely worse than any illness I've ever had, I could barely move, just laid on the bathroom floor wanting to claw my eyes out. This was the first two days, I don't remember the third. That's when I had the seizure. I only remember bits and pieces of the day.

I had never sought out medical help for withdrawal, despite the advice that I should. I thought I could tough it out, or that it wouldn't be too severe (I had a habit of downplaying my problem, usually using my age as an excuse). Or too expensive. Bottom line is, it's life threatening. Saving money doesn't matter if you're dead.
Old 11-26-2012, 08:48 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

As someone who has had many many seizures I can say they are truly horrifying. Mine were happening before I ever started drinking and I hated the way I felt and the way people treated me so I would go out on these benders and just take extra antiseizure meds that night.. It was always 24 hours later I was being carried out of my exes house or waking up in the er with broken teeth because they were so violent.

I hated myself more and quit. Then I had seizures every month while not drinking and clean and sober for 10 months. Well that ticked me off so I really hit it hard. Pretty mych every time I quit now I have seizures. I just quit three weeks ago and had one.

Its just not worth it. I am now on ten pills a day to keep my brain "calm". They're so painful and scary right before you go under especially because you can't stop it and don't know if you're waking up ever again. Jason from Intervention comes to mind. He would drink just to stop them.