Notices

To those new to being sober

Old 11-13-2012, 10:54 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
zjw

To those new to being sober

I see people post here who are early on in there road to recovery. From my perspective i'm over 500 days sober. I do not envy your struggles I am terrified to pickup myself again. That being said me and I'm sure many others genuinely feel immense compasion for you guys. It takes great courage to decide ot be sober. and its a difficult road.

I sat at an AA meeting one night old guy 20+ years he'd been sober and he still goes to AA. I thought geeze he's probably heard it all by now and why on earth does he keep coming to hear the same poor slob wining the same poor story again and again. Because he cares because he knows how difficult it is to get sober and stay that way and if he can extend a hand to help ANYONE with this he is going too.

I havent really tasted it up close yet personally. But for those with longer sobreity then me I bet its awesome to see someone go from day 1 to day 365! I hope I get to see that with someone other then myself soon.

Its nice to give back. And theres a reason why people post here cause they do indeed care.
Old 11-13-2012, 11:01 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by zjw View Post
...for those with longer sobreity then me I bet its awesome to see someone go from day 1 to day 365!
It's awesome to see someone go a couple days sober.

I remember posting when I had one week sober and how amazed I was because I hadn't gone a week without drinking for 35 years.

I have over two years sober now and try to remember the feeling of accomplishment I had and extend it to the newly sober.
Old 11-13-2012, 12:40 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

I have seen a lot fail but the ones that make it literally brings tears of joy. Short of my children being born I think it is one of the most amazing experiences in the world. To see someone come through the doors with the snot beat out of them, full of fear, pain, shame, anger, guilt and watch them slowly progress to health and happiness is a miracle.
Old 11-13-2012, 02:10 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks for the helpful advice man, appreciated.
Peace.
Old 11-13-2012, 02:19 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

It is amazing to me when anyone gets sober. I remember what it felt like To no longer need to drink. I have great compassion for the newcomer.
Old 11-13-2012, 02:26 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

If you get chance there is a thread on here by Spen which is called 'looks like I have hit rock bottom'..I think. I will double check.

I love reading it.
I am not sure if you have read it or become familiar with it. If you are not familiar with it, I think you would like reading it.
Towards the end it seems to become almost a fairy tale........!
Old 11-13-2012, 02:28 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Its called 'looks like I have finally reached my bottom'
Old 11-13-2012, 04:17 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Whereabouts is this thread?????
Old 11-13-2012, 05:45 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I will bump it up so it comes up as having a new post in it. x