Notices

Asked to speak at a meeting.

Old 11-12-2012, 03:45 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Asked to speak at a meeting.

Huh? Me?!

So, my sponsor calls a little while ago and asks me to speak at a meeting. Now, the meeting we go to is usually pretty big...over 50 people. Yikes, but okay, I share there all the time. But no, this is a small meeting I've never been to. We're going tomorrow night and I'll speak next week. I hope I do ok. Maybe I'll help someone. That would be cool.
Old 11-12-2012, 03:58 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Go for it. I'm sure your sponsor wouldn't ask you to speak if he didn't think you had something to offer. Way to go!
Old 11-12-2012, 04:14 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Fellow Traveler and Seeker

Great attitude about hoping that you will help someone. Regardless of the size of the group, there is always going to be at least one person who's story you are telling or who will hear something that will shift something in them, no matter how small.

It's your story - so there's nothing to fear! It's a great service speaking, especially if you look at it the way you do, and not strictly out of ego.

Good luck!
Old 11-12-2012, 04:15 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

ya must have some progress yer sponsor sees that you dont. cool beans!!!

when i do an open talk i work with this:
"our stories disclose in a general way what we used to be like, what happened, and what we're like now."
i also stay away from dunkalogues and stick with the thinkin thing as much as possible.

as long as ya dont puke or pass out, itll be good.
Old 11-12-2012, 04:35 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tomsteve View Post
ya must have some progress yer sponsor sees that you dont. cool beans!!!

when i do an open talk i work with this:
"our stories disclose in a general way what we used to be like, what happened, and what we're like now."
i also stay away from dunkalogues and stick with the thinkin thing as much as possible.

as long as ya dont puke or pass out, itll be good.
Lol! Thanks Tom.
Old 11-12-2012, 06:41 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
~sb

ask your higher power to give you the words someone needs to hear

have fun!
Old 11-12-2012, 07:28 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Thanks for doing this valuable service work John...

When I am the speaker I say a quick prayer that my words
may help someone tonight....open my mouth...and let my story flow.
I never remember what I share...but that is not the point.
Old 11-12-2012, 09:46 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I did that to a sponsee last Saturday. He misunderstood me though. He though I was asking him to attend a speaker meeting with me not be the speaker. He agreed without realizing what he agreed to. What a deal! He got up there to the podium and nailed it...did exactly what he was supposed to do and that's what Carol said, get outta God's way.

My sponsor taught me this simple prayer:

I am the place where God shines through
He and I are one not two
I need not worry, fret, or plan
He wants me where, and as I am
And if I be relaxed and free
He will carry out His plan through me

and then

Let the words be thine, let the voice be mine.
Old 11-13-2012, 12:41 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thumbs up

Holy, crap, John! I attend a 20 so meeting once a week, at times I share, give out chips, whatever. For your sponsor to ask you speak at a meeting? Wow. How cool is that. Just be like that, cool, be yourself. Share and enjoy. Have fun, and enjoy the warmth.
Old 11-21-2012, 04:09 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I spoke last night!

Wow, what an experience!

My sponsor picked me up last night and we went to the meeting. There were 16 people there including me and my sponsor. Interestingly, 10 were women. Now usually, I'm kind of nervous speaking in front of more than a few people; I always disliked giving presentations at work. This was different...we arrived half an hour early and I talked to a few folks before the meeting. Just like last week, I was struck by the warmth and friendliness of these folks, most of whom had years of sobriety.

I did stress a little this past week about this. I thought who am I, with 139 days sober, to be speaking to a group of people, some with years of sobriety? I finally realized that it didn't matter. Perhaps my experiences would keep the horrors of alcoholism fresh for the old-timers. Perhaps the fact that I'm feeling better would bring the message of hope to the freshly sober. Both things happened. I sat up there next to my sponsor (he chaired the meeting) and I let 'er rip. I wasn't nervous (ok, maybe a tiny bit at first). But I didn't just rush through it. I lived in the moment and felt so alive. What an incredible, exhilarating, healing experience! Today, I'm still feeling good about it and can't wait to do it again.
Old 11-21-2012, 04:29 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Awesome...I'm glad it went so well. My home group is a speaker committment group meaning we go out about once per week and speak at a meeting. And then on Saturday, that group comes to our meeting to speak. I have spoken twice and it was very meaningful. You do feel like you are helping someone and it helps to remember where I came from. Afterwards, I felt like I could have said more but I guess what is said is what was meant to be said. Congrats!
Old 11-21-2012, 09:35 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

lol I remember when I was so scared to speak in front of people for meetings. I still get nervous when I speak but when I start speaking it just naturally flows out because I know it's my story and I don't need to think to remember what to say or lie about things like I did in the past (when I was drinking I had to make alot lies up to cover things up) But it was my real first time speaking in front of 40 plus people at the meeting. Including the fact that my sponsor was there for the first time to hear me speak. It is always a thrill though when it comes to speaking. I haven't spoken in a few months but with good reasons. I was dealing with my breakup with my ex and I was not in the best of moods, I was depressed and I couldn't seem to get on my feet for about a month and a half. Until I started talking to another couple of girls who are very nice so it has risen my spirits today. Though I haven't spoken in awhile I look forward to talking more about how I have coped so far with being sober a year and 3 months now. I have never obtained this much time for being sober. Speaking I find had always helped me stay on track.
Old 11-21-2012, 11:54 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Great, John !!

A large step in the right direction !!

If someone would have told you 6 months ago you'd be speaking at an AA meeting what would you have told them ??

All the best.

Bob R
Old 11-21-2012, 01:00 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Awesome stuff!

I tend to still get a little nervous when asked to share (particularly with "new" meetings), but do so with no qualms with my home group. I always remind myself that It's not public speaking & that I'm talking to and amongst friends
Old 11-21-2012, 01:02 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Fellow Traveler and Seeker

That's great! Glad it went well. There is a bit of a rush that comes from sharing your story in front of a captivated crowd. We're all there for the common solution, and even though you have a short amount of time of sobriety, your sponsor saw in you that you had a message. Some of the best talks I have heard from the podium have been those with a short amount of time in the program - they are often very fired up, enthusiastic, and you can see the life in their eyes. It's inspiring.

Great stuff!
Old 11-21-2012, 01:37 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
AA member

Good news john.Glad it went well.