Notices

I've finally come to terms with it..

Old 11-06-2012, 12:33 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I've finally come to terms with it..

I'm 17 and an alcoholic.
I have been detoxed twice in the past, but have relapsed since due to a particularly stressful couple of months.
I have accepted that fact that this substance has control over me.
I've been drinking for 2 weeks now, but am going to stop, just don't know the best way to do it without going into hospital again, i'm scared that the withdrawal is going to be really bad.
i'm not a day drinker however do have the odd days when I do drink in the day.
I'm a binge drinker and drink at night to get drunk before sleep.
It all start when I met a girl and her sister could get served in the shops, so from then on I was drinking every night, for round about a year, thinking nothing off it. I was naive, I didn't realize what I was doing to myself.
Old 11-06-2012, 01:06 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi albmwman
That's a pretty powerful realisation to come to at 17 and I commend you for it

You'll find a ton of support here...but I really urge you to speak to a Dr too - like you say detox can be problematic for some of us.

This phone number might be useful as well...

The National Alcohol Helpline-'Drinkline' UK - Tel: 0800 917 8282
Offers help to callers worried about their own drinking; support to the family and friends of people who are drinking; advice to callers on where to go for help.
welcome to SR
D
Old 11-08-2012, 05:23 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

If you've only been back at it for 2 weeks you're almost definitely not going to die from stopping abruptly. You'll wish you were dead for a few days, but you'll be fine. Have a family member feed you a couple nips if you start going into DTs.
Old 11-08-2012, 05:33 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome albmwman. You'll be avoiding a nightmare by getting sober at your age. I think you should be proud for taking control of your life and stopping the progression of this disease.

Please keep posting and let us know how you're doing. We're so happy you joined us.
Old 11-08-2012, 08:33 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I found lasting sobriety, sanity and serenity in the fellowship of Alcoholics Anonymous.

Please Google and read AA's "The Doctors Opinion", "How It Works" and "The Promises of Alcoholics Anonymous". See if you can identify.

All the best.

Bob R
Old 11-09-2012, 02:45 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

You have taken a big step, at your age, in identifying you are an alcoholic. That in itself is fantastic, now you can work on your addiction.

Stress, in one form or another, will always be there. We need to figure out ways around drinking to get rid of stress. Wish I had the "all-in-one" cure, but stress still haunts me, as it will you.

What I do is try and direct energy to different thoughts. "I need a drink" becomes "let's go for a nice morning walk" I clean my apartment, I work on my old car, I go to my morning job, watch movies, just try and think about that next drink. try and find a hobby, I like electric and gas (nitro) radio control cars. If I was in the UK, I would ride the trains. I love trains, been all over the US on Amtrak and local city trains.

Does it always work? No, I won't BS you. Two relapses in the last 5 years after almost killing myself. Am I totally stupid, or just an alcoholic? Or both? Nah, I'm smart, but alcohol is a class 4 narcotic and is addictive.

Two weeks won't kill you getting sober, as TSDD said, but you know the drill already. See your doctor, even if he says you don't need meds, drink fluids and take vitamins. And keep posting back here.