Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

Sandy storm- off topic but may cause a relapse with me.

Notices

Sandy storm- off topic but may cause a relapse with me.

Old 10-29-2012, 01:26 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

Question Sandy storm- off topic but may cause a relapse with me.

You see, being out of my meds is bad enough- but ... I'm in eastern, well middle PA- and I understand the storm is going to be hitting that area about ... Monday Night through Tuesday Night and I think around Wenesday- I'm not sure...

Now why am I posting a message like this? I freak during power outages that last more than 3 hours, not just due to the electronic loss/etc, no because I hate the dark and I freak I really freak especially during the nighttime of it, oh God I have prayed it will not knock out the power for more than a day/etc...... but that's stupid thinking...

Relapse ... ehhh God I would hate to considering the 3 months I have, I don't mean to ask this foolishly but does anyone else have severe trouble with their power goes out when FREAK storms occur like this?
Old 10-29-2012, 01:33 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Take a deep breath, and realize that nothing has actually happened yet.

DO you have lights that don't require electricity?
There are some good halogen and led lights that should light up at least a room or two as good as any other day.

Can you travel?
Is it possible to go somewhere else?

Do you have access to or know anyone with a generator?

Start lining up alternatives.

No power sucks, but it is no excuse to relapse. Don't let your fear overwhelm you, start making plans.
Old 10-29-2012, 01:43 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

Ha ... even with normal plans, my OCD, my GAD, ... everything begins to FLIP ... I hate when power goes out, everything spirals out of control and goes chaotic with me. I've been like this for my whole life... unfortunately- NO GENERATOR, which is so STUPID ... this time I gotta figure something out with that- but I'm not in "charge" of the household money so I can't just buy one and plug it in. ... ergh!!

Of course I have flashlights ... travel ... no ... I'm kind of a shut in, my alternatives are shot- if my area is hit by the storm in the point where we lose power- EVERYONE around my county loses power... ****!!!
Old 10-29-2012, 02:54 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Can you get to a camping or outdoor store?
Camping lamps will illuminate a room just like a lamp.

Im sorry this is such a trigger for you, must be terrible.
Old 10-29-2012, 02:55 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Try not to worry Paulos - it may not be anywhere as bad as you fear.

I know it's scary but drinking in a storm is never a great idea - stay sober and be there for your mom and all your neighbours.

D
Old 10-29-2012, 03:43 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

Camping Lights ........ I'll have to remember this... I ... hate. ... the dark... even at night when I sleep I need a nightlight ...
Old 10-29-2012, 04:23 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Autobrew Anon Member

try to rectify the situation with your meds -- i know this is easier said than done sometimes. and i don't know ur situation.
do anything that you do have control over. lay in a stock of candles with matches where you can easily get to in the dark. or artificial lighting as has been suggested. do any small thing. i live by myself and am concerned. i had already bought food on sunday and tonight filled my gas tank and went to the dollar store and bought some candles and batteries for my flashlights. i have full box of strike matches and they are on the desk under my tv. also the flashlight - one on the desk and one by my bed. so i know how to get to them easily. are you afraid of not having water or any other necessity that you can get now? i am charging my phone and plan on doing that each nite as to have a full charge just in case. i have my coat and boots my the door for the weather in the morning. maybe the little things you do have control over, that you can do, will ease your anxiety somewhat....
sending prayers to you. please stay safe
Old 10-29-2012, 04:31 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Be strong Paulos.

I think everyone feels like that, in a situation they cant control. no one feels comfortable, but to drink would put you in more danger than not. you might have to use some quick thinking, may have to help someone. so be strong, you can do this. we are with you, in heart and thoughts.
it will pass. and you will be the stronger for having weathered it.
take care, and breathe deeply and try to rest.
hugs
chicory
Old 10-29-2012, 04:45 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Baby Girl D

calm down theres alot of peopple in same sitiation It must bd
e hard right now what time is it there
Old 10-29-2012, 06:54 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Dawnie, it's it four hours behind Manchester England right now as the US hasn't switched to Standard Time yet. GMT-4 until next weekend.

Paulos, I always need a light at night too. Get all your batteries charged, maybe you can get a computer/iPhone extra batteries? Of course stock up on other batteries for flash lights and such. you'll be OK.

Love from Lenina
Old 10-29-2012, 08:46 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thinking of you. Still doing ok there?
Old 10-30-2012, 05:38 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

How ya doin this morning Paulos?
Old 10-30-2012, 03:45 PM
  # 13 (permalink)