Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

Sober Security Blanket? Lost!! What are yours?...

Notices

Old 10-25-2012, 08:49 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Kind of silly, but...

I have noticed that some people in recovery have sort of compulsive routines, or "security blankets" if you will. Mine are my AA coins. I have always carried my 24 hour coin, as well as my most current sobriety coin, in my right front pocket. I did this early on in sobriety for a couple of reasons:

1- easy access to the serenity prayer,
2- it is in the same pocket that I keep my money, so if I were ever tempted to drink again, I would at least have to make a concerted effort to bypass my AA coins to get my cash, and
3- it is kind of a safe reminder of where I am at in my sobriety (current coin), and how I got there (24 hour coin).

Now it has become habit, to carry them with me all the time. And, of course, I LOST THEM!!!

Can't find them anywhere!! Looked in couch, chair, washing machine, dryer, car, etc.etc.etc. Good Lord, I never realized how compulsive I was about those coins. I feel like I feel when I lose my keys or wallet. I know that I can just get new coins, but these have sentimental value, you know? Silly, I know.

Anybody else keep a sobriety security blanket?

I'd love to hear what they are, please share...

Thanks,
Zube

P.S. - thoughts where my coins might be would be appreciated. My adult ADD sets in, and I chronically misplace things.
Old 10-25-2012, 09:06 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I get on my knees and hold up my hands and ask God for help.
Old 10-25-2012, 01:48 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I am 2 days in and carry my coin with me everywhere. I get that.
I already thought about how I might feel should I lose it
Old 10-25-2012, 02:09 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

My security blanket is my Big Plan and my confidence in my ability to keep to it. This security blanket can't get lost.
Old 10-25-2012, 03:48 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
High on Life

I wouldn't actually call this a security blanket,but I have my sponsor's 11 year medallion in my wallet. I was thinking about taking it out the other day, because it falls out a lot. lol
Old 10-25-2012, 04:03 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

In addition to the BB, my daily meditation books : daily reflections, 24 hours a day, keep it simple (hwzelden)
Old 10-25-2012, 04:09 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I don't think it's silly at all Zube, I know they mean a lot to you and I really hope you find them. Mine is my morning routine. Same thing every morning.
Old 10-25-2012, 05:18 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

FOUND THEM!!!!

Whew...that was a rough 4 days. Found them at the bottom of a little wicker basket where I keep my bills. Not sure how they landed there?? And I swear I looked there, too! Oh well. They are now back where they belong.

Maybe I should talk to my home group about another set just in case this happens again.

Spoke with a lady in another group tonight who never leaves anywhere without a bag of candy. Good to know. Now I know why everybody sits close to her in meetings. Lol.

I feel whole again. Now back to everything I neglected while trying to find the darn coins for the past 4 days!!

Zube
Old 10-25-2012, 05:40 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Talking

I am glad you found them!
Old 10-25-2012, 06:01 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

My door

My door is a finish line. If I can make it inside my house I have won. Today.
Old 10-25-2012, 06:44 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

my security blanket is God as i understand him. He is there through everything and never leaves me.
Old 10-26-2012, 12:19 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Right now at day 11 I have two security blankets. 1) a book called "Say Yes To Your Life: Daily meditations for recovering alcoholics and addicts". I read every day before I leave the house and again before I go to sleep 2) have a lil card with the serenity prayer on one side and the 12 steps on the other that I carry with me everywhere.
Old 10-26-2012, 12:25 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

rituals! morning readings & prayer--same at night....have 1 year coin in pocket also....& a 'Jesus' holy card...
Old 10-26-2012, 12:38 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Galatians 5:13

I honestly couldn't imagine putting my sobriety security into something that could be lost, forgotten, or otherwise destroyed. My security is the knowledge that I never drink and I will never change my mind.

:- )

I dearly understand the security/comfort concept though. Cancer took my beloved, 9 year old, Jack Russell Terrier, Tally Ho back in March of this year. She was a tenacious tennis ball dog. I keep one of her dirty tennis balls around the house. I miss her more than anyone could imagine and grasping that ball brings comfort and sweet memories.

---

Last edited by tammy711; 10-26-2012 at 12:40 PM. Reason: added image
Old 10-26-2012, 01:48 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Hexipuff

The Serenity Prayer is my security blanket
Old 10-26-2012, 01:54 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Spinning Sober

I carry my year chip in my pocket. I also carry the chip they gave me when I completed treatment. It has a butterfly on one side with "keep it simple" and the serenity prayer on the other side. I also have a silver necklace with the circle and triangle. I wear it all the time. Sometimes I rub the necklace or the coins when I am "having a moment".
Old 10-26-2012, 07:15 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

A little silver heart that says 'believe' on it. I found it in my house about a year ago. I've no idea where it came from but I found it when I was going through a particularly tough time and it reminds me to believe that things will improve if I stay sober.
Old 10-26-2012, 09:16 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Post Re: Security Blanket...

I guess A.A. would be considered my one true comfort zone. They provide me with real time answers to all sorts of challenging questions, and not just a ‘feel’ good response either. Medallions provide me with a sense of accomplishment, a psychological edge if anything. While sobriety, on the other hand, gives me a sense of belonging even when life slows me down -that’s how real life connections work, mostly. It’s the sober provision that keeps me safe, especially when all else fails. That’s how I came to believe.
Old 10-27-2012, 05:20 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Reading here is my security blanket at this stage - 2 weeks so far.
I read regularly, particularly when my focus drifts and I find myself thinking
'oh I wasn't really that bad...just one won't hurt...I deserve a little break...I don't think I was really a true alcoholic....' I make sure if I have those kinds of thoughts during the day I spend plenty of time on here.
Old 10-27-2012, 05:27 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I think mine is to serve homeless vets. Keeps me busy