Notices

It does get better, for me it did ...

Old 10-03-2012, 10:55 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

It does get better, for me it did ...

I was reminded last night about how bad it was and what I did right. I've sobered up twice now. The first time I admitted that I had a problem, and I sought counseling. I didn't want to go, but I did. About 10 minutes into the group session, I said to myself, "Wow, I'm not half as bad as these guys, I can really help them"... Sheesh. Talk about selfish thinking. I kept going to that group for 90 days or so, then I left a "Free man" I was living my sober life the same as I did before only without drinking. Guess what? Less than a year later I was drinking every weekend sometimes to the point of blacking out. Here's where the reminder came. Last night a speaker at my meeting said he hit rock bottom when it hurt so bad physically and emotionally that he never wanted to drink again. It brought me back to my last morning waking up feeling so terrible that I never wanted to drink again. All the feelings were there, I was so ashamed, I was so guilty, I was so sick, I couldn't deal with it. I did the right thing, I went to A.A. meetings and started doing what I had heard so many times before. I listened, I worked the steps, I became involved, I got a sponsor, I did what he said. My one year anniversary will be in a couple months, and I really feel that I am living a sober lifestyle. I am an alcoholic and that's how I live each and every day..

--Heavy
Old 10-03-2012, 11:17 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by HeavyJ View Post
I did the right thing, I went to A.A. meetings and started doing what I had heard so many times before. I listened, I worked the steps, I became involved, I got a sponsor, I did what he said.
It's pretty hard to screw it up if you follow that plan.....Congrats on your upcoming year!
Old 10-03-2012, 11:38 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

wonderful post. It works if you work it!
There is something so magical about hearing others going through the exact same thing. The relief I felt in meetings, especially early on, was enormous. I finally realized I wasn't alone.
Old 10-03-2012, 11:51 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Hexipuff

HeavyJ - great post.
Congratulations on your achievements - be proud
Old 10-03-2012, 11:58 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Re-Member

I am proud for you and inspired by your post.
Old 10-03-2012, 02:54 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Yes...by living in the AA Steps...I too have overcome many
un expected challenges....and kept moveing forward....

Thanks for shareing your good news