Notices

Seem to replace booze with overeating

Old 09-30-2012, 08:04 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Seem to replace booze with overeating

So it's about 6 weeks sober for me, and I'm beginning to see a really bad pattern lately. For the first weeks I was focused on sobriety and overall physical and mental health, so I ate better, low calorie meals in small portions, exercised to boost my mood and managed to lose about 10 pounds.

As time went by, my dedication went a bit down, depression and loneliness started to kick back again. Several days ago I spent my 31th birthday all alone, I was heavily depressed and stuffed myself with all kinds of tasty foods like burgers and sugary stuff. Since then, I have found myself binging on food to get temporal relief for my feelings. It's exactly what I was using my daily beer for.

When I quit drinking, I was a good 40 pounds overweight, dropped about 10, but gained it all back in just several days. It's just soo depressing. I'm 31 and had big plans for sobriety - to improve my mood, looks and finally put myself out there for socializing and maybe even dating. But my eating habits are awful, I sabotaged all my efforts and hate myself for ut. My self esteem and mood are deep down.

I wonder if anyone had similar issues.
Old 09-30-2012, 08:14 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi,

I suspect a lot of people here have similar issues. I'm only on Day 1 today, but I managed to quit (only with the help of antabuse) for 6 weeks last spring, the longest I've gone without drinking in 10 years. During that time I lost 15 lbs (which needed to go), started getting really crazy about my weight and had to remove all mirrors from my house. At that point that I realized that I use food in exactly the way I use booze.

I was an overweight child, became anorexic in college, then couldn't keep it up and started binge eating and gained a lot of weight. I didn't drink at all during this time. Then I started drinking and didn't care so much about my weight. For the past decade I thought that I was largely over my food issues, but it's now clear that I've just replaced food with booze. One of the biggest issues I know I'm going to face in (hopefully) sobriety is the same underlying set of problems that led me to both destructive eating patterns and drinking. It's tough.

Anyway, good luck with everything. I guess I just wanted to let you know that I don't think you're alone in this.
Old 09-30-2012, 10:30 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

With my doctors OK I followed an eating plan + supplements
I found in the book " Under The Influence" by Milam & Ketcham.

Please check with your doctor and ask about hypoglycemia.

Belated : ...this can be your time for a better future ..
Old 09-30-2012, 10:32 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

elderine....

Welcome to our recovery community
Old 09-30-2012, 12:01 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks! I'm excited to have found this group.
Old 09-30-2012, 01:16 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I hear you. I replace booze with overdoing a ton of things. Eating. Shopping. Running. It worries me too but its better than drinking.