Notices

When do you decide to go to rehab??

Old 09-20-2012, 02:43 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

When do you decide to go to rehab??

Ever since highschool I've wanted to be put in a mental hospital, or a rehab facility, and now I don't know what to do. I know that I function alright, people wouldn't guess that I'm an alcoholic, but I am, and I can't stop. I don't know if it's I "can't" or "don't", but either way it's not good.

I don't know how bad I should be before I try rehab... Three years ago my mom's friend told her I needed to go to rehab, but she said no, she thought I could fix it on my own. But I'm not so sure... I just want to know your opinions!
Old 09-20-2012, 02:58 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

i dont thik there is a level of how bad someone has to be to get help or go to rehab. it is more of how bad someone wants to get help.
one thing i do know is that every time i tried to get help, i ended up drunk. when i finally got to the point of desperation and wanted to get sober and was willing to do whatever it took, things changed and i havent had a drink since.

its quite common for someone who doesnt know anything about alcoholism to think a person can fix it on their own, but ask em how and it proves they dont have a clue about alcoholism.
the best thing i ever did was to get help form people who had been in my shoes, poeple who had recovered from the hopeless state of mind that made them drink. i found them in AA.

i am sure that iffen ya look at yer past and how trying to fix you on yer own has worked, you can see just how good that works. there aint nothing wrong with gettin help. if yer mom has a problem with you getti help, thats her problem. i sure hope you decide to get help. soberiety rocks!!!
Old 09-20-2012, 03:20 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

I did rehab. Doing rehab is different in the sense that its obviously expected that you're willingly working with others, that you have plans to use the opportunities provided from doing your rehab to help you continue successfully after rehab, and that you have come to a point in your life that your open to a new way of living your life that you didn't already have expereince with otherwise.

its not for everbody. nothing is for everybody. it totally works for some people.

why have you been wanting to be in rehab and/or a mental hospital for so long? what makes you think it would work for you?
Old 09-20-2012, 03:41 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

When I was younger I thought that going to a mental institute or a rehab facility or anything like that would save me. I thought that I would go to one of these places and come out a new person, and I'd be able to get along in the world just fine. I thought it would justify that I was 'different' and 'had problems' and all that wasn't just in my head.

I didn't need rehab or a mental institute - I needed to take responsibility of my problems and deal with them. I know that sounds harsh, but I can see a lot of my younger self in you (through this post and another post) and I think mostly I just wanted someone else to do the work for me - I thought if I went to one of those places I would be miraculously cured, and that's just not the case.

By all means, go to a rehab facility. Just don't think that it means no proper work is required. All I needed to do was take a long hard look at who I was, and who I was becoming, and make a vow to myself that I was going to do everything I could to be the person who I wanted to be. It's not easy. It doesn't happen overnight. Almost six months since I made that decision, though, I'm a completely different person - a happy, sober, energetic person.

Needing a medical detox from alcohol is totally different, however, and if you feel that you have withdrawal symptoms then please see a Dr.
Old 09-20-2012, 05:08 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Also,I'm sure it's like anything else. All rehab places aren't equal.
Some just take your money,and some bend over backwards to see that you succeed.
But it all doesn't matter if you have any doubts as if you want to quit. Quitting HAS to be the number one priority,whether you are in rehab,or trying to stop some other way.
Fred
Old 09-20-2012, 07:49 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by AudreyAna View Post

I don't know how bad I should be before I try rehab... Three years ago my mom's friend told her I needed to go to rehab, but she said no, she thought I could fix it on my own. But I'm not so sure... I just want to know your opinions!
I my case I had to exhaust all my Plan B's and most of my Plan C-Z's.
Old 09-20-2012, 09:11 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Why does it matter if your mother says "no"? If you say "yes" what will she do? Even if you're on her health insurance policy, she can't keep you from seeking medical treatment after age 18. At least that's my understanding.

Why don't you call a treatment facility and speak with someone? They will be able to help you assess your needs better than we can or your mom can. Or maybe work with a substance abuse counselor to get some feedback.

Good luck!
Old 09-20-2012, 11:32 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Audrey, I think that you are almost there and I hope you take the next step.

Treatment centers give hopeless alcoholics, like me, the chance to live a happy and productive life free of alcohol and other drugs.

In my case, my resume`as a young lawyer was starting to look like the back side of the "well-traveled infielder's" baseball card.

I knew that my continued drinking would have caused me to lose my career, which, after 5 years of drunken practice, had not exactly taken off.

Please keep us posted.

I appreciate your sharing and what you are going through.