Notices

Help - gagging for a drink

Old 09-16-2012, 08:58 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Help - gagging for a drink

I thought I'd post a message to hopefully make this craving go away. I'm on day 15 now. Have been to parties, pubs, bars and restaurants and resisted. My mother in law is gravely ill and my wife is drinking a bottle of wine each night. I am pouring the wine and each time feel like I could do with a glass too to make me feel better. But I still haven't touched a drop.

I have a workload bigger than I can cope with, am going to let a load of people down and will probably lose customers, it is Sunday and sun is out.....I really NEED A BEER. It takes 2 minutes to get to the shops. Just s glass of wine...or a cold beer...

What's the problem? I could use some words of encouragement.
Old 09-16-2012, 09:02 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Quick. . .play the tape out until the end. Or for a different metaphor, you have seen the movie you are about to watch, and you need a different ending.

You are stronger than your impulse.

Hopefully you will have a lot of sunny Sundays, and won't need a beer to appreciate them.

Hang in there.
Old 09-16-2012, 09:08 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Still I rise.

I hear you. It's noon here and the sun is shining and, god, I don't want to face work or some personal stressful issues and and and and...wouldn't it be nice....

however, i know it isn't 1, 2 or 3 glasses i would have...more like 2 bottles or more and feel like hell tomorrow...physically and emotionally.

I'm hanging by a thread too, TG. I think we both know we have to not pick one up.

(I don't know HOW you are able to pour your wife some while you abstain. I wouldn't be able to be around her while drinking)
Old 09-16-2012, 09:09 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
sobriety date 5-2-12

What are your reasons for quitting drinking?

What will you feel like tomorrow mentally/physically if you drink?

What will you feel tomorrow if you DON'T drink?

Will drinking SOLVE your problems permanently?
Old 09-16-2012, 09:11 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Still I rise.

Originally Posted by aeo1313 View Post
What are your reasons for quitting drinking?

What will you feel like tomorrow mentally/physically if you drink?

What will you feel tomorrow if you DON'T drink?

Will drinking SOLVE your problems permanently?
Thanks for these questions, aeo. I just answered them and, yeah, some good points for reflection.
Old 09-16-2012, 09:13 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Do the Math.

.....I really NEED A BEER
The last time I felt this way, my sober friend said "Hit yourself in the Head with a Ball Peen Hammer instead. You'll thank me for this later."
....I did (thank them later).
Old 09-16-2012, 09:22 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

This is how I overcame cravings...

My doctor said I did not require meds for de toxing...but agreed that
I could follow a healthy eating plan for hypoglycemia instead.
I used the one in 'Under The Influence" by milam and Ketcham.
I consider this helped with cravings.

I re connected with God....very comforting for me....I prayed often...still do..

I also atended AA daily...walked often....cut out caffeine...
.quit hanging out in bars and with drinkers..
instead I .made new friends in AA who shared my new goals.

I timed my cravings....they lasted 5 to 7 minutes in duraation at their
and strongest. and longest. Not too difficult to bear.
I took action...music....danced around the room..a buble bath......
drank a lot of water..prayed..walked ..called a sober friende

They quickly lessened in both time and intensity...
had banished bythe end of my 2nd month of AA recovery
.never have returned.

Shared with the hope that some of y'all will use any and all
of my expereince to continue or find your way in to recovery.

Yes....you too can win over alcohol....
Old 09-16-2012, 09:43 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Reason for quitting: feeling depressed, anxious, starting to get crap at my job (hangovers). Always used to be happy and very good at my job.

Tomorrow: probably a bit crap. Not sure really.

Tomorrow if I don't drink. I will feel good and ready for the day (although probably a bit stressed about work and my unwell mother in law and sad wife). Obviously these feelings will be exacerbated if hung over.

Drinking is not going to help me.

Thanks all. The craving is passing. I'm going to blockbusters to get a funny film and ice cream, pop corn and chocolate.
Old 09-16-2012, 10:01 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
~sb

Thanks, Carol! I searched that diet and found this: "Research has shown that a majority of addicts suffer from some of the following biochemical,
nutritional, and metabolic disorders. Each of these disorders is discussed further in this document
and must be corrected before people can have the freedom and ability to choose addiction-free
living (Finnegan, 1989).
 Depleted or malfunctioning brain chemicals called neurotransmitters.
 Hypoglycemia, or low blood sugar, that causes a wide range of symptoms like anxiety,
fatigue, depression and panic attacks, as well as poor adrenal function.
 Digestive problems such as the overgrowth of yeast, Leaky Gut Syndrome, and the
malabsorption of nutrients.
 Food allergies or sensitivities to common foods such as corn, wheat, sugar, and dairy
products.
 Nutritional deficiencies of key amino acids, vitamins (e.g., B-complex and vitamin C),
and minerals (e.g., zinc, magnesium, and calcium)."

from here: http://mhof.net/articles/pdfs/6.pdf

Take a read, TallGuyUK!!!

Stay strong and stay sober!!
Old 09-16-2012, 10:39 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
sobriety date 5-2-12

Originally Posted by TallGuyUK View Post
Reason for quitting: feeling depressed, anxious, starting to get crap at my job (hangovers). Always used to be happy and very good at my job.

Tomorrow if I don't drink. I will feel good and ready for the day (although probably a bit stressed about work and my unwell mother in law and sad wife). Obviously these feelings will be exacerbated if hung over.

Thanks all. The craving is passing. I'm going to blockbusters to get a funny film and ice cream, pop corn and chocolate.
Thank G-d for netflix during my first few weeks of recovery!!! I have watched more movies this summer than in my entire life I think!!
Old 09-16-2012, 11:21 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TallGuyUK View Post

Well done. Hope you got a good movie. And remember that everything feels worse with a hangover. Consider the fact that you gave yourself the gift of a sober morning and clear head. It might be painful, but it would be worse if you felt physical pain.

I am sorry to hear about your MIL. Hope thinks work out the best they can.
Old 09-16-2012, 11:23 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

HI Tall guy,

I too am on day 15-well 16 but pretty close. Anyways, all I can say is that we can do this and we just have to hang on and get rid of these cravings anyway we can possibly do it. There are some great suggestions on here to keep your cool and just persevere! Lets keep it going so next sunday we can say we have this much more time under our belts!
Old 09-20-2012, 12:19 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Sad to say I succumbed. I had around one bottle of wine Tuesday night and a large beer last night. Not a lot I know but I can see it really easily creeping back. Having a tough time with a family member who is very ill and it's so easy to turn to alcohol. So in total I managed 16 days of sobriety. I'm not sure I can go a lifetime without alcohol but any comments or suggestions welcome.
Old 09-20-2012, 12:49 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Sally1009

Are you in AA? If so, I suggest you get to a meeting. There are hundreds in London. If you aren't in AA, why not give it a try? It got me sober.
Well done for coming back to SR though. And if you can do 16 days, you can do another 16, and another.
Don't give up. Put this slip behind you, and just get straight back on the wagon. Don't look back.
Old 09-20-2012, 12:53 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry you're struggling TallGuy - and sorry for your relative who's ill.

Wouldn't it be better for them tho, to have you sober?

I know how frightening crises and problems can seem...but if we never try to get through them, we'll never know what we can do....and I think you'll find you can do a lot

I hope you'll regroup and try again

Maybe think of what else you can add to what you've been doing - more support maybe?

D