Notices

My Mind Is Racing Sober.....

Old 09-11-2012, 09:38 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

My Mind Is Racing Sober.....

I am having a hard time focusing & having mood swings. My therapist was transfered and my psych Dr. retired. I am waiting for new appointments for both. It's a free type clinic & thinking I should just find a new one. I'm pretty good at finding low cost/free health care. I'm concerned because I'm running out of my emergency type anxiety meds. I'm afraid the new Dr. won't prescribe them because of my 275 pages of substance abuse medical history. I was at the forest preserve this morning & thought, "I should spend the day drinking cheap beer & hike in the forest." Wow, I wasn't sure if the therapist I was seeing was helping or not. I realize now she was.
Old 09-11-2012, 10:28 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I can't provide you with medical advice, but I do think you might benefit from bringing your honesty and concerns to any available trained and licensed medical professional.

When I had been in similar situations, I consulted a doctor I'd never met, and he provided me with the assistance I needed.

I hope you find what you're looking for.
Old 09-11-2012, 11:02 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

My anxiety made me very uncomfortable too, with a pounding head, difficulty breathing and a head full of buzzing bees.

Originally Posted by Justfor1
I was at the forest preserve this morning & thought, "I should spend the day drinking cheap beer & hike in the forest."
I think you were half right on this one, Justfor1. Imagine for a minute that you are there, sitting on that favorite rock of yours. Can you remember the vista you can see from there? Imagine the sound of the birds and the wind in the trees. Imagine the smell of summer winding down and approaching fall. Imagine the feeling of the breeze on your cheek, it has that edge to it that means that the seasons are changing. Very importantly, imagine that you are sober too.

This is a daydream, I know, but it is also a mindfulness or meditation tool that I found helpful. I still take these short mental vacations when things get overwhelming, and it is still relaxing. It's helpful to know that you can take this mental vacation or mindfulness moment whenever you want to.

I hope that you can get your medical support reinstated soon, but in the meanwhile, I think you will be just fine.