Notices

Alcohol induced panic attacks/anxiety.

Old 08-20-2012, 03:11 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I had horrible anxiety from drinking BadlyDrawnGirl. It got to the point where I was really anxious when I was anywhere but at home drinking. I'm pretty sure the panic attacks were caused just by the booze as they seemed to come out of nowhere, but loud noises and crowded rooms didn't help. They pretty much all disappeared after I stopped drinking, 5 months 3 weeks, so far so good
Old 08-20-2012, 07:28 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Sobriety date 12/19/2011

I use to have them, they went away after I started attending meetings, and about 1 or 2 months into meetings I started volunteering. I now have 8 months and they are completely gone. I guess for me it was around 3 or 4 months that the panic attack just went away.

Poof.......
Old 08-20-2012, 07:47 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I keep seeing panic attacks as one of the side effects of quitting drinking and I am so worried that when I quit they wont get any better...
Old 08-20-2012, 07:50 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I don't have a history of anxiety, but while drinking I did start having panic attacks. They would always happen while having difficulty driving due to balance and vision problems.

I'm wondering if anyone has had problems with hives while drinking? Starting about 4 years ago, I had unexplained outbreaks of hives for the first time in my life. They seem to have been stress related, not an allergic reaction, and the hives would last for several days before fading.

BDG, wish I could tell you how long it takes for the panic attacks to subside.
Old 08-20-2012, 07:54 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I had my first anxiety attack on a wednesday driving down the highway. wasnt sure what the heck was going on, maybe a drop in blood sugar or something. I was mildly hungover. so i arrived at my destination, which was only 15 down the road. stop at mcdonalds to amp up my sugar and drove back home. thought it was an isolated incident. it wasnt, since i was a daily drinker, whenever i had to drive distances, i would work myself into a panic attack, always mildly hangin.....well since i have been trying to quit this cycle, i feel more free to drive places when i havent drank the night before. I wasnt sure what sparked these episodes, but now i know. Adding anxiety to my list of reasons why i want to be stopped forever! Best of luck in your situation, but i think that everyone here has the same conclusion, no alcohol = less or no anxiety!
Old 08-20-2012, 10:21 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Alcohol was definitely the cause of my panic attacks. Agoraphobia had set in at on point too. If I wanted to go to the store I either had to have someone with me or be drunk. Going to the store hungover to buy booze was the worst experience ever. A lot of times I couldn't do it. Always paranoid about what people would think. Always on the verge of flipping out.

The self-confidence kicked in about week 10 when the dry drunk days were less and less frequent. This is week 14 for me.
Old 08-20-2012, 11:07 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

My anxiety mostly comes from situations that I can't escape easily (agoraphobia). The worst situations for me come from driving. (Being "stuck" waiting for a light, driving next to people, people tailgating me). I was at a point where I would drive 15 miles to see my parents using only neighborhood streets (15mph) because I had panic attacks on main roads and freeways. I've been sober for almost 4 months and the other day day I drove 6 hours of twisty and curvy highway in medium traffic without any incidents. The anxiety does get better!

Quitting drinking had a a direct impact on my anxiety. It's not all gone, but it's a hell of a lot better. Be aware that the first few weeks sober you may go absolutely crazy. I know I did. A doc may be able to give drugs to help with this, but be aware that bezo withdraws are just as bad as alcohol withdraws and cause the same kind of anxiety. So be careful with drugs and double check your doctors opinion because a lot of them are all too happy to prescribe something just as addictive and troublesome as alcohol.
Old 08-21-2012, 12:14 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

As someone that has struggled from anxiety & panic attacks for over 20 years... alcohol makes them worse. I thought I was relieving my anxiety for years only to find out I was aggravating it.

I cant believe that none of my doctors ever asked about alcohol use... then again... maybe they were not alcoholics ;-)

Take care & keep posting
Old 08-21-2012, 03:04 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
dude in recovery

badlydrawngirl, you have to believe and take that step (then another), most doctors cannot look at your symptoms as real, natural issues if you continue using drugs\alcohol on a daily or even weekly basis.

I want to thank everyone for reminding me how much hell we put ourselves through for the old 'daily fix'. It's strange how it (anxiety\panic) seems to effect some of us drinkers much more than others. hmmm.

I know that feeling all to well mfsteve1, best wishes on your recovery.
Old 07-08-2017, 03:54 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Hi I was wondering whether you are sober now still and free from taking benzos? I have been taking benzos since I was 18 now 39 and after losing my father I have been drinking most days but it is getting worse and worse ,the panic attacks are unbearable so I take more pills ,it's a horrible cycle that I can't seem to break ,and just wondered how you have done it ? I don't have family around to help and am 90 % of the time housebound. The really scary thing is is my doctor has now decided to cut my medication and I really don't know what to do as I'm worse now than I have been ever in my life. I havnt told my doctor the amount or extent to which I drink as I'm worried that she will stop my pills altogether, any advice would be greatly appreciated. ..