Notices

more motivation

Old 08-15-2012, 04:53 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

more motivation

So, at one point I stopped drinking for a few weeks and then decided I was going to moderate my drinking. that didn't work so well. I drank on less occasions but still binge drank each time I consumed.

After seeing a picture of myself with friends I noticed I had gained more weight than I thought. I looked pudgy. That was all it took to motivate me to lose 20lbs. To lose the weight I monitor how many calories I burn compared to how many I eat. I have limited the calories I eat so that there just is no room for drinking. I am so motivated that I haven't had a drop to drink in three weeks and don't want it. I have said no to drinking with friends, neighbors, and my wife (none of whom think I am an alcoholic).

I guess I should be lucky I found something so motivating that it had the side effect of removing liquor from my diet. I also wonder what will happen once I lose the weight and decide to have a few beers again.

Can a alcoholic have priorities that are above that of drinking? My goal was not to stop drinking, but the empty calories don't fit into my new routine.
Old 08-15-2012, 06:25 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

If you are an alcoholic and you stopped....I'd stick with that...For myself...I know where a few beers will take me...And I'm not going back there.
Old 08-15-2012, 06:33 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

And don't worry about what others think you are or aren't. Only you can answer if you are alcoholic or not. I use the program of AA and I honestly answered these two questions in the Big Book.....I had my answer...Not that I didn't know anyway.

If, when you honestly want to, you find you cannot quit entirely, or if when drinking, you have little control over the amount you take, you are probably alcoholic.

pg 44

Entirely being the key word....I could get a few months together....But without working the program...This alcoholic was right back at it.
Old 08-15-2012, 08:14 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

So is life better as a skinny drinker or a fat drinker?
Only you can decide. if sobriety is for you.

Me? regardless of how I look...I know drinking adds nothing
positive to my life.
Alcohol is a toxic liquid...damages all sorts of things to drinkers...
not only alcoholics.
Old 08-16-2012, 05:51 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AllyCat View Post
So, at one point I stopped drinking for a few weeks and then decided I was going to moderate my drinking. that didn't work so well. I drank on less occasions but still binge drank each time I consumed.

After seeing a picture of myself with friends I noticed I had gained more weight than I thought. I looked pudgy. That was all it took to motivate me to lose 20lbs. To lose the weight I monitor how many calories I burn compared to how many I eat. I have limited the calories I eat so that there just is no room for drinking. I am so motivated that I haven't had a drop to drink in three weeks and don't want it. I have said no to drinking with friends, neighbors, and my wife (none of whom think I am an alcoholic).

I guess I should be lucky I found something so motivating that it had the side effect of removing liquor from my diet. I also wonder what will happen once I lose the weight and decide to have a few beers again.

Can a alcoholic have priorities that are above that of drinking? My goal was not to stop drinking, but the empty calories don't fit into my new routine.
What do YOU think?? .....

I believe you know you are on a garbage truck that's headed for the dump... are you going to jump off?

All the best.

Bob R
Old 08-17-2012, 07:29 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I must admit that the last few weeks have been great! I get so much more done on the weekends and feel so accomplished. I feel great in the mornning and now have a few goals I am working on. And, it makes getting to work on Monday so much easier

We'll see how this thing rides out. Off to Lake Mead this weekend for some wakeboarding and boating!

-AC
Old 08-17-2012, 07:32 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

If you like what you are getting...Keep doing what you are doing...It would be great to get through the weekend and have fun without drinking.
Old 08-22-2012, 12:00 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I just got back from a 4 day trip to the lake. Dang it was hot, 103 degrees! I had a great time and didn't drink anything but water and coffee. Today is day 24.
Old 08-22-2012, 12:08 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Good to know you remain sober...
It's really in your best interest to continue

A sober future is filled with adventure and all sorts of interesting things.
That is my expereince and can happen for you too...