Notices

Strange...no cravings

Old 08-15-2012, 04:12 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Strange...no cravings

I'm 42 days sober now, comitted to sobriety and attending lots of AA meetings, working the steps with my sponsor and I've noticed that this time I have no cravings for alcohol. I've relapsed quite a few times this year, been through rehab, detoxed a few times but this time feels different. I'm under a lot of stress but I feel serene and at peace for the most part.

I'm not complaining but can't help but wonder; what's different this time?
Old 08-15-2012, 04:16 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Originally Posted by john44 View Post
I'm 42 days sober now, comitted to sobriety and attending lots of AA meetings, working the steps with my sponsor and I've noticed that this time I have no cravings for alcohol. I've relapsed quite a few times this year, been through rehab, detoxed a few times but this time feels different. I'm under a lot of stress but I feel serene and at peace for the most part.

done it before but something's different this time........

I'll tell ya what I THINK is different - before, you were getting a taste of quitting under your own power. Now, it's possible some power greater than you is doing it FOR you? I'd challenge you to consider if, perhaps, that's what's happening this go-a-round.

It's for this reason ^^^^^^^ that, when I talk at a meeting and say my last drink date, I call it "the day God separated me from alcohol." I can see now that I have VERY LITTLE to do with the whole thing - even though my ego wants to believe otherwise. It's a good way for me to learn though.....burn through every possible "solution" I can come up with, fail miserably, then wham-o.....problem solved. In my mind, it's not just luck or right-timing.....something is at work in my life.

Why this time and not the ones before? dunno.....ask God. He/She/It won't answer me, maybe you'll get an answer. LOL
Old 08-15-2012, 04:33 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DayTrader View Post
done it before but something's different this time........

I'll tell ya what I THINK is different - before, you were getting a taste of quitting under your own power. Now, it's possible some power greater than you is doing it FOR you? I'd challenge you to consider if, perhaps, that's what's happening this go-a-round.
This is what I've been thinking.
Old 08-15-2012, 04:36 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DayTrader View Post
Why this time and not the ones before? dunno.....ask God. He/She/It won't answer me, maybe you'll get an answer. LOL
I think maybe I'll just accept it and cherish it. I guess I don't really have to know why.
Old 08-15-2012, 04:47 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

what's different this time?
You tell us
Old 08-15-2012, 04:54 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by UpperbucksAAguy View Post
You tell us
Well, maybe it's because now I want it so bad I can taste it (sobriety that is).

I guess it really doesn't matter though. I'll just have to be wary of complacency.

Btw, lower Bucks here, neighbor.
Old 08-15-2012, 08:20 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

The Steps slid me from often shakey sobriety into solid recovery...
God took away my drinking obcession.

Glad you are doing well John ..
Old 08-15-2012, 08:35 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Same thing happened to me, John ... almost 24 yrs ago. Spread the word !!

All the best.

Bob R
Old 08-15-2012, 08:51 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Location: Las Vegas, Nevada... Originally from Cincinnati, Ohio
I feel the same way... 46 days for me. I think its because this time I want sobriety bad enough to dedicate myself to the program. Keep it up!
Old 08-16-2012, 06:07 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Could it be that you are actually following all the directions that you have been given? Not just the ones you agree with, as I did so many times before recovery started working for me.

I have often wondered why some folks get the spiritual awakening that removes the obsession and some folks don't. Seemed like God was being capricious. Then I noticed that there is a Litmus test that separates the the "recovered" from the "recovering".

Those that follow all of the directions get it and those that don't - don't. The irony of the situation is, the directions don't need to be all that good to work. The power seems to come from the subjects compliance, willingness and humility.
Old 08-16-2012, 06:12 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I'm guessing from what I know of myself and others that bounce around for a while and then finally get it, but it sounds like you've actually heard the right words that resonated with you and motivated you to act. Sounds like you hit your personal bottom. The place any of us need to get to before we decide we've had enough and want to get better

The right words, by the right person, in the right place, at the right time. No one knows what they are, or whos going to say them until it happens.