Notices

Any thoughts or ideas?

Old 07-24-2012, 08:23 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Sobriety date 12/19/2011

Any thoughts or ideas?

He finally made an appointment for us to go to counseling and its tom at 11am.
I am an alcoholic that has been sober since 12/19/11 and he is an addict that quit smoking pot one month ago - so he says. So I guess that makes him a dry addict?? Same behaviors, just took the marijuana out of the picture.

He is all about blame, I am all about focusing on myself to make life better for my boys and I.

At this counseling session, I want to just focus on how to make the transition of me leaving June 1st easier on them. I want to talk about better ways that we can talk to them, and make it continue to go smooth. I am not sure what he has been saying, I have just been trying not to talk bad about him. From what my kids are saying, it sure seems like a lot of his ideas are in their thoughts.
I want him to move out of my home, and I am not sure how to get him to leave. I am going to talk o him again about this tomorrow.
I want to talk about moving forward, and stopping blame.

I don't want to talk about alcohol or drugs. I am not sure if this is the right thing to do, but i don't want to make it about that. I want this to be about us moving forward for our kids.
Is this what you would do???
I also posted something similar in another forum, I am just posting here because it seems to get more replies!
Old 07-24-2012, 09:30 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I would try to have an open mind going into the session.
Old 07-25-2012, 12:12 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

These are the life situations that while difficult we are better equipped to handle if we are sober. Whatever you decide, don't forget about your sobriety.

That said, I have always been a big believer to think things through and then commit to your decision. It seems to me you really need to do what's best for you and your kids, come up with a plan and stick to it.

Dave
Old 07-25-2012, 01:15 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Is there a way to talk to or get message to the therapit before you go in for your session? It would make their job alot easier to know what page you are on before the session.
Old 07-25-2012, 06:28 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

Any good therapist will ask you guys from the start what your goal for counseling is. If your goal is to separate, that's what the therapist can work on with you. I wouldn't totally withhold the addictions piece considering the point to the counseling and I doubt it would be a focus anyways, but it will help the counselor to know some history.

Last edited by flutter; 07-25-2012 at 06:30 AM. Reason: too many freakin' commas!!