Notices

Needing a lot of help right now.

Old 07-18-2012, 05:30 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Needing a lot of help right now.

I'm having to go cold turkey and I'm wondering if anyone has advice for that. My hands are shaking so bad right now that I can hardly type. A doctor is not an option.
I recently moved to another country where hardly anyone speaks English and I am the only one that take care of my son.
It's only the first day but I was vomiting and shaking so bad earlier than I went to buy a beer to feel better.
Old 07-18-2012, 05:34 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Amya - welcome

Detox can be problematic for some of us - even dangerous sometimes.
It really is in your best interests, and your sons, for you to seek medical advice.

There must be provision for foreigners to access medical help if they need it, even in Georgia?

Can you contact your country's consulate?
D
Old 07-18-2012, 05:35 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I have no advice since I am trying to figure out how to do it myself. I wish you the very best.
Old 07-18-2012, 05:37 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

amya,
I am sorry you are feeling badly, but surely there are doctors somewhere who you can communicate with?
I understand that it is dangerous to quit cold turkey, if you have been drinking much at all. please dont take chances, your son needs you . cold turkey is maybe not the way to go, if you cant get physicians care there.

others will have more knowledge, but I wanted to say I am worried about you, and hope you are very careful. have you ever detoxed before? how old is your son?

wishing you well. You have found such a good place for help and support and understanding.
hugs
chicory
Old 07-18-2012, 05:39 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

He's 6 and it was scaring him to see me so sick.
There is no way I can afford to see a Dr. even if I knew how to find one.
Old 07-18-2012, 05:40 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'm on my first week and just been drinking coffee. The first five days were Terrible and just wanted a drink to get rid of my shakes and sweats. Just try and tuff it out and you'll start to feel better. Sorry it's not much help but just stick with it.
Old 07-18-2012, 05:40 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I've been VERY heavy drinker for 20 years and only stopped when I was pregnant
Old 07-18-2012, 05:44 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
zjw

"I've been VERY heavy drinker for 20 years and only stopped when I was pregnant"

Your capable then. You know you are because you've done it before. Tough it out for 5 minutes 1 hour 1 day etc.. Its a very short amount of time but I know in the thick of it 30 seconds can feel like an eternity.

I kept myself busy with anything i could. even if it was scouring the internet for more tips and advice on how to not drink. I focused on anything but actually picking up and drinking. Its ok to be a bit obsesive about cleaning or reading or wtvr so long as it keeps you from drinking especially at a time like this. In soon enough time you will realize its not to too hard and its easier 1 day at a time.
Old 07-18-2012, 05:46 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I think Dee has good advice about calling your Consulate unless of course they will deport you. It really does sound like you need medical help, if you can't just walk into a clinic there your Consulate may be your only chance.
Old 07-18-2012, 05:50 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

If you have no other option, try tapering down until you can handle it. I would not advise that you go cold turkey if you are having bad withdrawal symptoms. It could be fatal, this is serious stuff you are talking about here. Be Careful and please find a way to see a doctor.
Old 07-18-2012, 05:56 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I might have to do that. I usually drink hard liquor and might have to try just a half a beer every once in a while. I'm shaking so bad I can't type, sweating like crazy, visual disturbances, vomiting... all the symptom
Old 07-18-2012, 06:00 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
zjw

It isnt safe to cold turkey. Booze is the one thing you can cold turkey and it can kill you. I was scared myself of the DT's etc.. I had enough problems making it from one night to the next just so that i could drink again and tame my nerves. So for me the first couple nights I forced myself to taper it. after a couple nights i couldnt take it i just wanted to be free of the booze and stopped then and there. I dont know if that was a wise decision. But i felt if i saw myself headed to a dark dark spot I new what those symptoms where and told those around me to watch me etc.. I new I could have another beer to help ease it so that i could get through it. But i also new the ultimate goal was to stop drinking.

I guess weigh your options know that you have people here to support you etc..
Old 07-18-2012, 06:04 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

The last few months I've been taking shots with my coffee in the morning. It's just gotten insane how much I drink. I have to stop this
Old 07-18-2012, 06:06 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I just hallucinated someone was coming in my window. I live 8 floors up... geez
Old 07-18-2012, 06:37 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
zjw

Be thankful you recognize that you have a problem. It sounds like your taking good steps. I tiddled around and denied my problem for years. Even when i quit I denied it. I denied it for many many months even after i quit. I'm actually just now saying yeah i guess it was a bit of a problem.
Old 07-18-2012, 07:01 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Getting Healthy

You have a 6 year old. He is scared and I am scared for him. If you are this sick and hallucinating that's problems. How did you end up in Georgia?
Old 07-18-2012, 07:04 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Zee

Hi amya
If its possible, try to taper a bit until you can get medical help. Cold turkey can be dangerous. You don't need to suffer, especially if you are in a foreign country.

I'm assuming you are originally from US, so I took the liberty of finding this for you.

Medical Information | Embassy of the United States Georgia

My husband is Russian, although his English is very good, when he talks native he may as well be speaking Klingon!

I hope this helps. If you are from UK, you may be entitled to NHS treatment if Georgia is in Europe (and you have your EU NHS card)

Either way, I'm pretty sure you will be able to get medical help. PM me if you have any questions x
Old 07-18-2012, 07:16 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thanks for finding that link Zee.

I hope you'll check it out amya.

I know people here are trying to help but, if I could remind everyone, we have rules against medical advice being given here - that's for everyones benefit...

I think self tapering is not really a viable option if you've been drinking for years anyway IMO.

I hope the consulate will be able to help

D
Old 07-18-2012, 09:07 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Please see if this link is useful

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html

Welcome to our SR Alcoholism Forum...