Notices

Aches and pains

Old 01-07-2004, 02:59 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Aches and pains

I am not specifically asking for medical advice here , but i wonder if anyone else has suffered these symptoms?

As many of you know , I have 80 days sober on Saturday, after a long drinking history . While I did not expect everything to be a bed of roses, medically speaking, I did not expect to develope such severe symptoms.

EVERY muscle in my body aches continually, and is sore to touch. My legs are particularly affected, and I find I cannot walk very far, it has begun to affect my function at work, and it scares me . I am also extremely tired , I could just lie down and sleep at any given time .I have had aches and pains , but never like this .

I have made an appointment to see a Doctor on Saturday, I do not go to Doctors !( tend to just see the ones at work, if I get a bit sick) I plan on being very honest with her regards my drinking, but just wanted to ask if anyone else has had this problem.

Since I have got sober, I have been taking my B vitamins, ect , but has not helped !

Nurses are the worst patients lol

I would welcome any comments, cos I am a bit worried

HUGX

Lee
Old 01-07-2004, 03:54 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Paused

I am no doctor but I did stay at a Holiday Inn. My mother has symptoms like that but they have nothing to do with alcohol. She has Fybermyalga (sp). She has some very sore spots that they call triger spots I think. She is aslo very tierd all the time.
Just thought I would put my 2cents in. Good luck and I hope it passes.
Old 01-07-2004, 04:04 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi rat , and thank you !

I am old enough to be your Mum! Ha Ha !

I think I used to drink to mask the pain, Rat , so your suggestion could well be right ! Thank you for taking the time to answer . All will be revealed Saturday I guess! sigh

Hows it going for you ? well I hope

HUGX

Lee
Old 01-07-2004, 04:06 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
we're all mad here!

I had bad leg cramps, I think, for only about a week after quitting.
Old 01-07-2004, 04:16 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Sorry for your pain Lee....

I have no clue and I would be worried too.

Here is a link you might want to check out

http://www.tlctx.com/ar_pages/paw_part1.htm

(+) (+) (+)Hugs and Prayers zubging down to you
Old 01-07-2004, 04:28 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Paused

Well I have lots of experience with pain because I have Rheumatiod Arthritis (and mild MS) and last year I had a very severe attack and I was in agony! It took many months to be diagnosed (your doctor will probably refer you to a rheumatologist) and had many different blood tests, scans, you name it! I was first told I had Fibromyalgia which Ratnel has mentioned but it didn't explain why I had terrible swelling in the fingers (and slight deformity). I was on all sorts of horrible drugs to try and control it and I was suicidal but when I found out what it actually was (as the disease progresses, it's more easily diagnosed), I could at least try and live with it and in time and various treatments, I am miles better.... anyway, whist not knowing what I had, I researched all the different things I *might* have and therefore know a fair bit about different joint and muscular pain diseases... I'm no doctor either so would hate to try and sound like I'm trying to be one but I would love to try and help you! So here's some questions and I may be able to at least tell you what kind of thing you might have or help rule out what you probably don't have... another thing too, don't presume your problem is down to your drinking (or lack of drinking!) lots of people I met on various message forums that I joined when I had all my pain problems didn't drink and had never drunk so don't beat yourself up (if you are beating yourself up that is!)

Anyway, here's some questions!

Have you had extra stress recently? I guess the answer to this is yes because you've given up drinking but anything else too?

Do you feel stiff in the mornings?

Any pain or swelling in the fingers?

Do you have pains in your joints as well as the muscles?

I too, like you was very scared. I thought my life was over and every day, hour and minute was an agony... I am still traumatised by how RA affected me so excuse me if I'm rambling too much here...

Also, just one more thing, you get tiredness with pretty much every type of arthritis/muscular problem which makes tiredness a very hard symptom to go on sadly. I remember how tired I was, but I was in so much pain I couldn't sleep so got more tired!!!

Anyway, write soon!
Old 01-07-2004, 05:15 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Lee,
I am so sorry you arent feeling well.
My question is how long have you had the aches and pains?
When did they start?

Sorry again...Let us know asap how you feel.
Old 01-07-2004, 06:22 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

It does sound like it's time to see the doctor Lee! Yikes!! I know it's hard to confront those things. Do nurses make the worst patients because they know what really goes on in hospitals? Actually you'll feel so much better after you get some info from the doctor and it will seem more manageable. Let us know how you make out on Saturday - but I suspect they'll want to poke you and test you for awhile before they tell you anything for sure.

Hugs and love,
Anna
Old 01-07-2004, 06:29 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Chy

I had the leg cramps and fatigue. But not like you seem to be experiancing. Keep that doctor appointment! Hope you get to feeling better. *hugs*
Old 01-07-2004, 08:30 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Gosh, Lee, I wish I could help. my husband has psoriatic arthritis, which is different than rheumatiod arthritis. He oftne is very achy - but usuall in his joints - knees, ankles, hips primarily. Some mornings he feels like he can't get out of bed if he forgot to take his meds the prior evening.

I'm not sure what it could be, but glad you are seeing a doctor about it. In my experience, don't settle for one opinion (if you can). Learning as much as you can about your symptoms is also helpful.

Take care, love
-j
Old 01-07-2004, 09:03 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Wow Lee...I'm wishing the very best for you my friend. Experienced fatigue and some aches myself but not at all what you are going through.

Saying a prayer for you! Let us know what the doctor says.

Love,
Laci
Old 01-07-2004, 09:11 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone

Actually the doctor thing was HP material! lol I prayed for healing, and he sent me an AA friend who just happened to have to drop into the Doc, and she just happened to be one I dont work with ! lol

That was what was mainly stopping me from going, I know all the ones in my area as work mates.................except her ! lol

I think my HP ( God) has a sense of humour !

HUGS and LUV
lee

ps will keep you informed .mind you, I have myself diagnosed , and treated already,of course but I will keep my mouth firmly closed ! Ha Ha
Old 01-09-2004, 08:40 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Me2
Paused

Hmmmmmmmmm The plot thickens....Steve
Old 01-09-2004, 08:53 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
spirit

hey lee, so let us know how your diagnosis compares with the dr's haha

i have been tired too, and i have numb legs, everytime i see dr i have given up something haha, when i see him on monday i cant tell him i am also off the fags haha, but my leg is still numb. he shakes his head haha

i'll tell you my diagnosis if you tell me yours hahaha
kath
Old 01-09-2004, 11:34 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Ha ! Kath ! Wish my legs were numb instead of sore ! lol

Well, doc reckons i might be partly right . myalgia , due to my arthritis, and hyperactive synapses, ( nerve insertions into muscles ) which cause soreness amd inflamation, due to my alcoholism.

She has started me on an anti inflamatory , and ordered some blood tests, I am to go back in a week!

HUGX
Lee
Old 01-10-2004, 12:19 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Hi (((Lee)))

Hope the meds help. Extra prayers for you from me.