Notices

Tell us a drinking shame story

Old 07-08-2012, 10:43 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Tell us a drinking shame story

Once I was so drunk after being In South Spain on a lads weekend, that at the airport I was kicked off the plane. I delayed all my friends and family for 3 hours, while they had to find my bags and take them off the plane. I then had to pay another £600.00 to get the next flight back to UK, which was at 5am :/

Got back to UK at around 8am, then had to pay another £100 or so to get the train back to Leicester from Gatwick. Drank a bottle of wine on the train whilst sat next to a professor on his way to Birmingham Uni.
Old 07-08-2012, 10:59 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
abc

I was quite a prolific drunk-dialer. Embarrassing. It's because I drank alone mostly.
Old 07-08-2012, 11:04 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I tried to start a fight with a bouncer, actually I did that more than once I projectile vomited on a coach once too There is a reason I ended up drinking at home alone...
Old 07-08-2012, 12:43 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Shame was part of the drinking me....I will not allow it to
be part of my recovery....

No shareing from me about the bad old times.
Life is way too much better as an AA recovered alcoholic..

Hope everyone finds their way into a sober future ..
Old 07-08-2012, 12:51 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I agree with Carol....what's the point?
Old 07-08-2012, 01:10 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I guess my biggest shame is ever starting up again.

A couple years ago, I went to the hospital because I had a tightness in my chest and I had been vomiting bile for a few weeks, sporadically. They admitted me overnight after running tests and I was released the next day.

I had stopped drinking then for about 1.5 weeks. That's my shame. I started up again. To me, right now, that seems like a ridiculous amount of time. During my first AA meeting a guy came up and talked to me and told me he was sober for 8 months. I still can't imagine that, what it must feel like.
Old 07-09-2012, 11:57 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Careful. Shame is a rung on the ladder to relapse. Don't linger too long.
Old 07-09-2012, 01:10 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mo S View Post
I agree with Carol....what's the point?
I think remembering the terrible things can be helpful when temptation strikes. All too often people tend to forget about the bad times when that demon pops up and tries to tempt us.
Old 07-09-2012, 01:18 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

I was in a blackout , doubly incontinent , got picked on , three broken teeth and stress fractures in the others , knife slice just missed the eye another on my chin ... started drinking at home then .

Crazy old alcoholic thinking made me isolate more and blame everything but my drinking for getting into dangerous situations , carried on for another 8 years slowly getting worse .

I don't feel shame, just incredibly sad, for the drunk i was, for the people whos responce to my problem was violence .
Drinking dosn't have any good associations in my brain anymore, 10 to 15 years of addiction and blackouts got rid of it , which for an alcoholic like me is actually quite handy .

Sorry if your thread was meant to be a humoruos / outrageous take on drinking , for me it ( the disease) aint a laughing matter .
Old 07-09-2012, 01:20 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I can't dwell on the shame. I won't forget it, it will always be a part of me, but I need to focus on the future otherwise I can lose myself in guilt. That can bring me down fast...
Old 07-09-2012, 01:53 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

my drinking shame story:
i had my 1st drink at 14. it got worse. i never lost a thing. i got fired and quit many good jobs, gave a truck back, got evicted many times, destroyed many relationships and hurt a lot of people until they got wise and walked away from me, became responsible for the death of another human, chose alcohol over the relationship with my son and everyone else. then i got into recovery at 36.
Old 07-09-2012, 02:34 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I'm sure there are both far worse and far less shameful stories than mine. So instead of telling one, let me just say I kind of lump all those awful memories into one big bag, which I never have to open again or repeat as long as I don't drink.
Old 07-09-2012, 02:47 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Member of SMART Recovery

Shame stories? Why?
Old 07-09-2012, 03:25 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

I was on a 3day alcohol/cocaine bender & was feeling suicidal so I called 911 & told them I was going to shoot myself. I didn't have a gun & I guess it was a cry for help. The police raided my tiny studio apartment at gun point & nearly shot me thinking my cell phone was a gun. I was dragged out in handcuffs & my whole apartment building was watching the incident. Thankfully, I was not arrested & taken to the hospital. Thankfully, I was not evicted because my landlord liked me although the other residents were a bit afraid of me after this insane incident.
Old 07-09-2012, 07:05 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
zjw

i just think its interesting how the shame stories for me where nothing but laughs when i was a drinker. For example one night i was so drunk it was like 2 am and about 10 degrees out i got the great idea to hose off the salt on the car. Hose in one hand beer in the other. well as fast as i sprayed it it was freezen up on the car and all I foun that kinda neat next thing ya know it had also frozen up on the driveway and i went sliden down on my butt. Drunk and laughen ::facepalm::

Now that i dont drink i think of times like that and while i can still get a chuckle out of it its kinda also pretty sad that it was that bad. *sigh*
Old 07-09-2012, 07:10 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
I looked like that holdin beer

Thank you for the topic, I do not feel so alone
Old 07-09-2012, 07:16 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

The name of our site is Sober Recovery.
We are not here to brag about drinking escapades

Please find something that will allow you a sober future..

This thread is closed.