Notices

Very heavy user detoxing

Old 07-07-2012, 10:09 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Woot86 View Post
My addiction is horrible, the trash pickup guys probably know Im an alcoholic. All of my trash bags go clink -clink- clink. That bothers me...of course classic sign of Alcoholism.
I used to hate that when I lived in my house and had my own can down at the curb. That avalanche of smashing bottles always made me feel so weak and ashamed.
Old 07-07-2012, 10:36 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Professional Drunk

My addiction is horrible, the trash pickup guys probably know Im an alcoholic. All of my trash bags go clink -clink- clink. That bothers me...of course classic sign of Alcoholism.
Yes, a huge sign. Also a classic sign...rotating through different stores to buy
booze so the clerks don't see you everyday and, god-forbid, think you're an alcoholic...
Old 07-07-2012, 10:46 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I know trash day, the sound of trucks brakes, the smash of the bottles. the horrible feelings it brings. I am also guilty of rotating through stores. When I would start early (10-1) I would usually buy a bottle of bloody mary mix along with my fifth, that I wouldn't even use, just to look like I was going to enjoy a casual morning drink. Nope not me, I would just take pulls off the bottle and chase with orange soda. horrible

Update: I laid down for a bit couldnt really fall asleep.
Old 07-08-2012, 03:00 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I know trash day, the sound of trucks brakes, the smash of the bottles. the horrible feelings it brings. I am also guilty of rotating through stores. When I would start early (10-1) I would usually buy a bottle of bloody mary mix along with my fifth, that I wouldn't even use, just to look like I was going to enjoy a casual morning drink. Nope not me, I would just take pulls off the bottle and chase with orange soda. horrible

Update: I laid down for a bit couldnt really fall asleep.
If you don't get medical supervision, can you have someone with you for the next few days? Seizures and DTs can happen 3-4 days in. You can't call the ER yourself if you are seizing.

I lost my twin brother to alcoholism. He seized behind the wheel, at the tops of steps, in the garage, etc. He was left with permanent brain damage before he finally died. Please don't do this.

If it seems I am trying to scare you, I am. Also sending you good energy. Just be safe.
Old 07-08-2012, 05:25 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

How are you doing today Woot? Have you been to the doctors yet? x
Old 07-08-2012, 05:31 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
~sb

The ER can help you out, too. Doctor is best. After detoxing, maybe look into a program of recovery.

I wish you well,
Old 07-08-2012, 07:24 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Im am coming up on 20hrs without a drop, no bad symptoms yet, just really trembly hands.
That IS a symptom.
Old 07-08-2012, 08:00 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Choosing Life

Good morning, Woot. I hope you are feeling well today.

I can tell you this much ... I didn't drink nearly as much as you (around a pint of whiskey a day, sometimes more, sometimes less) but I still had horrible withdrawals. Waking up in the morning with the shakes, the occasional dry heaves ... and the only way to relieve them was with more booze. In fact, I kept two airline bottles of whiskey in the night table next to my bed so I could down them even before I got out of bed. I knew I was in trouble and tried doing the "taper" thing to detox but it never worked. I finally went to the doctor (for my first two detoxes) and was prescribed librium for the first four days of my detox and it worked wonders, other than just making me sleepy. However, the last detox I did in March was the worse and I knew that doing detox at home with prescribed drugs just wasn't going to cut it, so I went to the ER, promptly got checked into detox and stayed there for 3 days. It wasn't a picnic but it was the best decision I could have made.

If the trembly hands are already starting, things are going to get worse from here, I'm afraid. Please reconsider going to the doctor/ER and let them help you. This stuff is dangerous without medical supervision, especially at the level you've been drinking.
Old 07-08-2012, 10:27 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

I got about 5-6hours of sleep last night, I wanted to make sure I got sleep last night as I am not expecting to get much in the next few days. I have been laying in bed all morning, I am starting to get the cold sweats, hands are still trembling, I am going to try and consume at least 32-64oz of water over the next few hours along with a little electrolyte mix. I have a friend who I have explained what I am doing. He is coming over to hangout and watch movies all day and keep an eye on me.

Also, I havent had a cigarette in about 12 hours. Honestly the craving for those little devils is stronger than my craving for vodka right now. Im chewing on these cinnamon infused toothpicks I got from whole foods, they kinda help.
But I am hanging in there so far. thanks for everyone's concern
Old 07-08-2012, 10:37 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

I'm really glad you've got a friend coming over to keep an eye on you Woot x
Old 07-08-2012, 12:03 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Run to live... live to run

yes, keep us updated!!
Old 07-08-2012, 06:09 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

38th hour, Hands/ fingers in particular are shakey (makes it kinda tricky to type) sweating has increased quite a bit, my friend noticed this and I think it drove home that this is kinda serious cause he offered to stay over for a few days. (granted I let him raid my fridge when he wants food) He is running by his place to get an air mattress and a few of his things. I am grateful that he is willing to do this. He does have to work tomarrow so I am kind of concerned about that considering they say the 3rd day is the worst.
I feel like I am in a dazey/ fever right now, I have been eating only toast because I hate throwing up and am trying to avoid that. I am consuming lots of water and gatorade to make up for losing fluids via sweat.
I am really jones-n for a cigarette though. arghhh!
Old 07-08-2012, 08:08 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Hi Woot. I know what you're going through. I just detoxed myself almost 3 weeks ago. I have been power drinking a fifth of vodka daily for a about a decade. The detox was brutal this time. I can vouch they definitely get worse and worse each time. Keep drinking the electrolytes, and start eating bananas and try to take a good multi vitamin / mineral. I has massive cramps around the 4th and 5th days because of all the sweating. I was trying to keep up with a lot of water and a quality vitamin, but the dehydration still happened. I swear every muscle in my body was twitching and cramping for almost 2 days straight.

I think it is a good idea to let someone know what you are up to so they could drop in, or call every couple of hours. Good luck, and hang in there. You're doing the right thing. You'll feel 100 times better in a couple of weeks.
Old 07-08-2012, 10:01 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  
abc

Woot, your friend is amazing. I wish I had friends like that.
Old 07-08-2012, 11:54 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Woot you are still at risk to have a seizure or a stroke. Please go see a Dr.
Old 07-09-2012, 09:54 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

44hr - I dont know if I am over it but the shakes have gone down, but I still had the night sweats last night. I know it's not safe to say Im out of the woods yet, I just feel a little fatigued. From reading further I might actually have a mild experience. Despite my drinking and smoking, I ate a healthy diet consisting of 4 small meals a day. I also took vitamins everyday since I was in highschool. This is my first time detoxing so maybe I am out of the danger zone? I dunno.
I am glad I have a friend willing to be my caretaker, Although it was him who asked me the question I have yet to answer: Why are you doing this to yourself?
Old 07-09-2012, 10:05 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  
Zee

Doing what to yourself Woot?
Not wanting to be dependent on alcohol? Easy answer.
I think the collective here would rather you went to see a doctor. Just so you know you are ok. Blood pressure etc... a little help with withdrawls maybe?
I was in hospital for my detox, and to be honest I can't entirely remember what I went through, so I can't say what symptoms I had. I am grateful that I was medically supervised though. Its always a gamble going it alone. x
Old 07-09-2012, 10:21 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  
Another Day in Paradise

I was well in excess of a 5th of whiskey every day and sometimes two fifths. Detox was very rough over the first 4 days and then got better. It was a not so subtle reminder that I had completely lost control of my life. I often think back to how dependent my body had become on alcohol.

In the first two years whenever it seemed like a good idea to have a drink I sat quietly and re-lived the detox and that was enough to keep me from following up on that idea.

Several years later I will PROMISE you that life will only get better the further away you get from that last drink. Life will have highs and lows, but you will be able to face them because you will carry with you the knowledge that you did the one thing that you never thought you could do, and that is enough to put steel in your backbone to deal with life in general.

Best thing I have ever done in my 60 years of living. Best wishes.

Jon
Old 07-19-2012, 08:12 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Zee View Post
Doing what to yourself Woot?
Not wanting to be dependent on alcohol? Easy answer.
I think the collective here would rather you went to see a doctor. Just so you know you are ok. Blood pressure etc... a little help with withdrawls maybe?
I was in hospital for my detox, and to be honest I can't entirely remember what I went through, so I can't say what symptoms I had. I am grateful that I was medically supervised though. Its always a gamble going it alone. x
no, thats what he asked me about my alcohol problem that made me want to quit.
Old 07-19-2012, 08:17 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Well, I thought I was out of the woods, but I wasn't. on the 4th day I was in really bad shape and my friend took me to the hospital.
Im feeling much better, on my 12th day sober, thanks for the support everyone.