Notices

What to expect; months 6 to 12

Old 07-06-2012, 07:47 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What to expect; months 6 to 12

Question.
What did everyone here experience in later sobriety.
Bodily? Mentally?
I guess I'm kind of looking for a "what to expect when you're expecting/sobriety" (no I'm not expecting. LOL)
I know we're all different. We all used differently. Lengths of time. How much alcohol we consumed. Yada yada yada.
Still though, there has to be things we all have in common.
I'm at almost 7 mos sober.
Thanks all!
Old 07-06-2012, 08:10 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I had a lady who recently celebrated 40 yrs sober tell me she learned more in the last 10 years than in the first 30.....

So, the term "Later in sobriety" means different things to different people.

Do you go to AA ? Do you have a sponsor ?

All the best.

Bob R
Old 07-06-2012, 08:18 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Gone In

Around that time I was transitioning from 'new normal' to just normal. The cravings and the obsession were gone, I was now looking at my condition and my past drinkng with more clarity. I remember at that time I was trying to figure out how much maintinence I would need to do to stay sober long term. I stayed in an ERG for another 2-3 months going to group sessions 3-4 times a week, then a LRG once a week for a year after that.
Old 07-06-2012, 08:45 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

No, unfortunately I don't have a sponsor because I have yet to go to AA. All the meeting around me have been at times when I couldn't go and hubby couldn't take over on parenting duties. I wish.
Plus now my substance abuse counselor left her job so have no one left there either. I still see a regular therapist though.

Basejumper, whats ERG and LRG?
Old 07-06-2012, 10:40 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
zjw

I'm just over a year sober. I'm over the drinking cravings temptations. Thats not to say i wanna walk into a bar and order a burger really tho. But I knwo i dont ever wanna go back to it. I'm scared to ever pick it up again. I didnt come this far to fall back into it.

That being said I'm still having a very difficult time adjusting. I tend to obsess over problems and i have no relief to them now so learning how to let go of stuff is a horrible struggle for me.

I keep making positive steps and I am noticing the benefits accumulating as a result. But it seems drinking or not life is still there all the other problems dont just disappear.

I read somewhere that anxiety and such can get better after the 2 year mark. I heard someone else say after 3 years it gets better. For that bit of hope I'm thankful.
Old 07-06-2012, 10:41 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

It takes quite a while to feel comfortable being in your new skin. The first year is critical because during that time you experience every season and every holiday sober. It's called "sober reference". Congratulations on your sobriety -- it's a gift.
Old 07-06-2012, 10:57 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

zjw,
I have the odd craving every so often. Doesn't happen as much now, thankfully. I most definitely still avoid certain situations like the plague because I know how they will affect me and while I will not cave most likely then I don't want to be thinking about it non stop.
Bodily, I feel like I'm all over the friggin place. My equilibrium feels all off. (no, I don't feel dizzy, just feel kind of ....off.
I actually don't know if it's because it's been really hot out and I hate heat or if it's because I'm hitting some crucial point in my sobriety where neurons are being reconnected or what not.
Old 07-06-2012, 11:20 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
zjw

"Sober Reference" Yeah I can see how critical it is. some of those holidays where interesting sober.

Munchkin I agree with the avoiding places like the plague. I stopped at one store last night as i was leaving I thought oh gotta hit the beer store thought what am i thinking i dont drink then i looked over at it with a feeling of *sigh* but happy those days are gone. Iwent into a bar once to pickup takeout food. I was twitchen around all that booze. I thought gosh i thought i could handle this the longer she made me wait for my food the harder it was. Not that i had any inclination to pickup but wow being around it like that flooded my head with thoughts.

As far as the equilibrium goes yeah funny you bring it up. I went through a phase where everything seemed so vivid it almost seemed artificial. Told my wife I dunno whats wrong with me. I'd even have some dizzyness or issues knowing up from down. That feeling has since evolved tho. Instead of feeling artificial it feels real now and the dizzyness has gone away. Now if i walk down the street and smell a certain smell i can identify the flower just by the smell and it gives me a nice warm and fuzzy feeling Feeling the wind on my face watching an awesome tree sway in the breeze. It doesnt feel artificial it feels realy good tho to see it all and take it in. I noticed it before I've always been the type to stop and smell the roses but its much more intense now better too
Old 07-06-2012, 11:55 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

zjw,
LOL Every so often I have those moments when I'm at the shoppette where I used to buy whatever I was drinking that night and I get hit right in between the eyes. I wouldn't say its so much a craving as the AV just suggesting, rather sneakily, that I should buy some wine or something. LOL
I have a real challenge ahead of me as come August I see my parents again for a small family reunion. My Mom is an active alcoholic, my Dad is in denial about both my Mom and I, and my brother and his girlfriend really have no idea. My Dad already suggested we should go to the brewery at Busch Gardens to sample their beers. LOL
Old 07-06-2012, 12:37 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Gone In

ERG = Early Recovery Group
LRG =Longterm Recovery Group

Both were groups in the outpatient rehabilitation program I went through. ERG was 90 days at a minimum, but typically 9 months to 1 year. LRG was 1yr and beyond (some guys had been there for 10 years). A great program, I'm grateful to have found it.
Old 07-06-2012, 12:46 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Question Re:What to expect; months 6 to 12

Congrats on your 7 months Munchkin. It's something 'you' should be proud of, for sure.

I had a hard time making 'adjustments' in the very beginning, kind of like most people. I also had trouble with the shakes early on -even though I had problems with them while I was still drinking. I remember lapping my last drink like a dog, that's how bad the shakes were. No shakes today, though -it took me over 6 months before they went away entirely, thank God.

I felt tired at first, mainly due to exhaustion, but I wasn't overly tired all the time. I just needed some rest, that's all, and some time to myself as well. I try to balance my time more effectively today and do so without any real complications.

I was also very obsessive compulsive most of my life -not so much today. I had to let go of things rather than micromanaging them like I did. It's put my mind at 'ease' much better than before, and allowed me to focus on recovery instead.

I've been more health conscious today than ever before -besides my ice cream addiction, no comments anyone. I'm taking vitamins on a regular basis and I try to eat more whole foods today like grains and other essentials. It seems to be working, though, so I'll continue.

I also get regular checkups with my doctor as well. I was very keen on 'staying away' and for so long, because I was scared what they might find. Yes, I had some liver problems early on -he recommended Milk Thistle- and yes, I had numerous cists on my body -he recommended some powerful anti-oxidants- but I don't have any remorse nowadays, thanks to my doctor. If you haven't found a good doctor yet, I suggest you do. It's been a lifesaver for me.

With that being said, I leave the rest for you to decide. I'll keep making strides in my daily life, same as you, because the benefits for me -thus far- have been amazing. Life will still exist and the problems will never go away, but you've chosen a better path for yourself Munchkin, so keep that momentum going, okay. The rest will work out over time, we promise. I hope this helps...
Old 07-06-2012, 01:03 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks for all the info MrDavid!!! I WISH my doctor would advise me all of that! I see military doctors and they're notorious for their lack of care! When I told my most recent doctor that I take Milk Thistle he told me that was just utter nonsense. LOL Thankfully I never really had the full shakes. I would get a bit sometimes when I was hungover in when I was REALLY drinking heavily and I would get this sort of weird, excited shaking when I was purchasing some wine/vodka/whatever but that was it.
I HAVE had the EXTREME tiredness. The doctor said it's because I must be anemic (he didn't order a blood test) and put me on an iron supplement.
Thankfully I do not have cysts really.
Old 07-06-2012, 01:09 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Things definitely got easier for me around the 6 month period.

However, I will say that for some reason I got very antsy about hitting the 1 year mark. I was thinking about it constantly and was oft worried about what was going to happen once I made the hurdle.

I woke up the next day more committed to sobriety than ever...just relieved to have gotten the "One Year" thing over with.
Old 07-06-2012, 01:14 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

OMG that's funny tippingpoint. I got REALLY antsy at 6 mos. I kept thinking "what if I can't do this????"
Old 07-06-2012, 01:16 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by munchkin05 View Post
What did everyone here experience in later sobriety.
Six months to a year? I didn't treat it like later sobriety.

I treated it like early recovery and continued to take all the necessary precautions. Doesn't mean I didn't notice a lot of positive changes. I just didn't want to make the mistake of thinking I'd made it.

Recovery is a journey, not a destination.
Old 07-06-2012, 01:18 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

Munchkin 7 months? You are FANTASTIC. Congratulations. You can certainly expect to be sober. I'm proud of you.
Old 07-06-2012, 05:48 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
~sb

Everyone really is different, munchkin. Between 7 months and 12 months, I had a lot more changes take place. Clarity of senses and brain to more fogginess of senses and brain to having more clarity, off balance to really being on target, lots of changes continued to take place and are still taking place in my body and brain. Alcohol really did a number on my body and brain (so did the weed). It's a healing process.

As for cravings, I haven't had them. Only fleeting thoughts, usually when I feel really great. I can eat in bars, I can go into beer stores to buy a soda or cigarettes, I've bought liquor for someone else in a liquor store; those places don't bother me. I committed to not drinking, so I am not having a problem with commercials, movies, going out with "normal drinkers," or what have you.... It's just not an option for me to drink today.

Everyone is really different!
Old 07-06-2012, 09:35 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I just hit my six month mark yesterday and I was just talking about being almost bored in my recovery. What I am doing is creating other goals for myself. I took up a boxing class. Started to hike more like I've been saying I would. I am going to set my mind to do things that I know just wouldn't be possible if I was still drinking.
Old 07-07-2012, 08:12 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

After six months I started to become more aware of my powers as an asset.

Unfortunately (I guess) I notice the terrible effects of alcohol on some friends and family more now.*They all think they're getting away with it but they're not.
Old 11-13-2015, 11:05 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Originally Posted by Cat626 View Post
I just hit my six month mark yesterday and I was just talking about being almost bored in my recovery. What I am doing is creating other goals for myself. I took up a boxing class. Started to hike more like I've been saying I would. I am going to set my mind to do things that I know just wouldn't be possible if I was still drinking.
I know I kind of feel the same way as I hit my seventh month. An alcoholic friend of mine who quit years ago told me," Life can be boring not drinking but drinking daily sucks." He dove into several hobbies and I plan on exploring new things and setting goals for myself too. Alcohol brought nothing but drama to my life. I am enjoying a little boring right now!