Notices

AA meeting

Old 06-04-2012, 08:12 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

AA meeting

So I went to my first AA meeting tonight. It started off awkward because seriously, no joke or miscommunication: the time on the Internet posting of scheduled AA meetings was wrong so I was a half hour late! Oh well.

Anyway, heard some good speakers and discussion but was wondering how you know if you really click with a particular group? I mean, how many times do you attend the same group until you decide you want to go to another one that you can relate to more? This group seemed nice and I will give it some more tries but maybe I need to go to a beginner group or something because people were referencing all these different steps and I felt a little behind. Is everyone on different steps? I guess so. I need to read the 12 step book.

I guess you just go to a bunch of different groups (if they are avail to you). In my area there are a lot to choose from. After attending, you just find what fits best for you? Or do you just go and let the group grow on you? I wonder how long it will take for it to be effective? It's like ok, I attended aa "am I cured now?" sad huh.
Old 06-04-2012, 08:25 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
~sb

Go to any meeting you want to. Everyone is on different places....

Glad you went!
Old 06-04-2012, 08:31 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

cool beans on yer 1st meeting! what i would suggest is that if that meeting is a once a week meeting, dont wait. go to more. do what ya can to get there early. mention you are new and want help getting sober. i was told to only go to meetings on the days i drank, so meetings every day for me.

I wonder how long it will take for it to be effective? It's like ok, I attended aa "am I cured now?" sad huh.

how long it will take to be effective depends on how bad ya want and putting in the footwork.
we are never cured of alcoholism, but we recover from the state of mind that made us drink.

here's a link to our Big Book

Big Book On Line

it is wise to not skip over the preface or the forwards.

keep goin back and dont give up 5 seconds before the miracle! it's people like you that keep people like me goin back to meetings!!
Old 06-04-2012, 08:36 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

It helps to get a sense of what AA recovery is... The Big Book is AA. Meetings simply share and help bring what's in the book to life. Read it, cover to cover, start at the beginning... Get a sponsor. Once you've started along the way, you'll find the meeting that's right for you.

Glad you made it to your first meeting!
Old 06-04-2012, 08:39 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
~sb

I started with the stories in the back of the book. and then the beginning of the book. don't discount the appendices after the stories.
Old 06-04-2012, 09:01 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Yes...the Steps are the program....and try to think meetings are like classrooms
for learning how to stay sober and enjoy it...
The more often I went ..the quicker I learned.

I'm tickled you did go and are willing to explore what AA is about..
Old 06-05-2012, 04:44 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Peace, Love, Sobriety

You definintely want to find a home group. This is the group you enjoy the most, find the most helpful, and attend weekly no matter what (except vacations/sickness/family emergencies!) At least thats what they say in my home group. heheh
Old 06-05-2012, 04:47 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

It took me a while to click. But when I heard my story, I was like WOW!
Old 06-05-2012, 04:50 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Elisabeth888 View Post
It took me a while to click. But when I heard my story, I was like WOW!
i realte. how did they know??? were they following me??? then i realized they were just like me.

we may not have it all together
but together we have it all!
Old 06-05-2012, 07:12 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
~sb

I found my home group about 6 months into sobriety. It was the one meeting I hadn't missed since I first attended it. It is also a big book literature study group. I've only missed once in a year!
Old 06-05-2012, 08:45 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=
I guess you just go to a bunch of different groups./QUOTE]

Hi I was at a meeting last night, and I heard of this forum for the first time and happy I did. So as for me, I went to different meetings. Sometimes same place at different times. Did lots of places and times, then I found my now home group. After the first meeting there I just felt like i was at home. My sponsor told me, his sponsor told him, "if you drank everyday then do a meeting every day". I am coming up on 2 year now, after 40 years of drinking. So I for one will tell you this program works.
Old 06-05-2012, 08:49 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Another Day in Paradise

In the beginning I went to AA meetings because it was better for me than going to bars. I listened and attended a few different meeting at different locations and times of day. After 30 days I felt I had a sense of what AA was all about. I called a fellow I had met on the outside who I knew through business and I knew he was in AA so I asked him to "sponsor" me.

Read the book started taking the steps, (in order) they are numbered for a reason and voila, I was a member of AA.

Point being I was skeptical but I knew I needed help. At least for me, attendance in the beginning was the critical factor so I could get a feel for what AA was all about. The rest was following directions as I came to understand the process that got and kept others sober. It didn't happen overnight for me, but it has worked for several years now.

Good luck to you, hang in there, it is worth the time invested.

Jon