Notices

Don't get me wrong....

Old 05-22-2012, 07:40 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Don't get me wrong....

I have a serious problem. One I am am trying to deal with. Rome wasn't built in a night and I suspect, won't be torn down in a night, I do have a sincere desire.
Old 05-22-2012, 07:44 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I may have missed a few posts but I haven't seen anyone questioning your sincerity RD

so what are you doing for your recovery now?

D
Old 05-22-2012, 07:47 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
DOS: 11/6/10

Desire is a start.
Old 05-22-2012, 07:56 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

cool beans on the desire!! we who have recovered from the hopeless state of mind that made us drink had to have that to start,too. then we had to start workin on ourselves and change. good news though! it's only you ya gotta change and its prolly only everything! hope ya make that decision to do whatever ya goota do to get sober. sobriety rocks!!!!! but i know i sure couldnt do it on my own. thats how i got drunk.
Old 05-23-2012, 05:02 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I had a really bad day yesterday. Since starting to at least try to address my problem on Easter Sunday, my world has gone to crap. Many more bad days than good and the best option seems for me to be gone. I know what needs to be done. I just don't know how to get there and I am tired. I am really tired.
Old 05-23-2012, 05:21 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Are you attending AA meetings?

All the best.

Bob R
Old 05-23-2012, 05:29 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Just think positively man. You're just absorbing more of negative thoughts which makes you think negatively and negative things happen. Hmm. Try thinking positively on everything you encounter and let's see how you can deal with it and how will it help you.
Old 05-23-2012, 06:13 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

RD....
Forward is the correct direction....please stay here with us
We need you to share with...and Yes! you too can win!
Old 05-23-2012, 07:25 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
~sb

I'd try the AA meetings so you can have in person support. Those people are like us on here, we're just more 3D!

You can get through whatever is going on, it just really helps to have support.

Hugs,
Old 05-23-2012, 11:29 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I had to get to the "burning desire" stage to start recovery. AA saved my life, it was being able to talk to other alcoholics who had been where I was.
Old 05-24-2012, 07:22 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I woudln't try AA meetings. I'd see a therapist, or do some cognitive work.
Old 05-24-2012, 10:44 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

A year or so before I got sober I had this wonderful therapist Dorothy. She recognised the true nature of my problem though, open minded as I was at that time, I couldn't see it. I was only 20 you see, and I didn't fit my idea of an alcoholic. However I was completley honest with Dorothy and together we tried all kinds of solutions except AA. I ruled that out as I was too young and it was a God thing.
So we tried controlled drinking, failed, counselling, but i drank, treatment, stayed sober for a few weeks, became very depressed and drank.
I will always be grateful for her patience and tolerance. In the end, everything we tried failed which meant that when I got to AA a couple of years later I knew it was literally the last resort. If AA didn't work I'm sunk! But that was 32 years ago and I aint had a drink since.
Dorothy knew I needed AA, but she also knew like most real alcoholics I would want to try every possible alternative first. She was a real friend and helped me more than she will ever know.
Old 05-25-2012, 05:05 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Well, we had a "come to Jesus meeting" yesterday. I just spent two days on a bender and my wife said she can't do this anymore. I lied to her about not drinking while I was drinking all day long. That along with the meds I have been taking for withdrawl had me out by 5 or 6. Spoke with recovering friends and determined that yesterday was a new day. So, day 1 yesterday, day 2 today. I was at the store picking up a few things yesterday watching people go in and out of the liquor store and the fact that is hitting home real hard is the reality that I can't drink anymore. I do believe this is going to be hard. The advise given to me by my friend who has been mostly sober for about 3 years with a couple of relapses is the question you gotta ask yourself when you get up in the morning is, is it more important that I don't drink today than if I drink. I am going out of town for the weekend to spend time with friends who are big drinkers. I will also have the support of my wife and another sober friend. I actually think this will be easier. My problem drinking is alone. Wish me luck.
Old 05-25-2012, 08:34 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

good luck. and at least try this. Even when you fail, stay positive. I have had and am having my greatest success (not drinking as much) in staying positive in the face of failure. Negative thoughts after a drinking night turns into a greater binge. it is absolutely not a solution. but it is a tool. stay positive and be kind to yourself. and that includes when you make a decision to drink. If you fall off a horse, don't kick it and yell at it. just be calm and get back on. holiday weekend is a struggle for many. best
Old 05-25-2012, 08:37 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Quitting drinking is hard, especially in the beginning. The longer I didn't drink the better I felt and the easier it was to not drink, and to start realizing the deep improvements that come with giving up the poison program. I still feel better about it every day. Some days suck, regardless of whether I've had eighteen beers or three cups of coffee that's just my life. I quit last Halloween and since then I've been in many many drinking situations and passed the test one minute at a time if necessary you have to be responsible for yourself not cheating...remember that it gets better. You won't have to think about drinking all the time forever.

This is a big hairy challenge but it's worth it. I hope you get to find out.