Notices

Concentration problems

Old 05-22-2012, 04:38 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Concentration problems

Any one having or have had problems concentrating from alcohol abuse? I've been sober two weeks and I'm finding that I'm often "zoning out" every 15-30 seconds and I have to snap myself out of it. I don't like driving the car because of it.

Any suggestions to help improve the situation?
Old 05-22-2012, 04:46 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Yes, I did.

Make sure you are getting the best possible nutrition: high quality protein every 3-4 hours, lots of complex carbs, vegetables preferably fresh. Your nerves are healing.

Also get plenty of rest: can you take a nap during the day? Or have a quick lie-down with eyes closed even if you can't sleep? If at work, put your head on your desk and concentrate on your breathing.

Exercise helps when you get to feeling better.

Best wishes to you!!! Congrats on 2 weeks.
Old 05-22-2012, 05:29 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by GetItTogether View Post
Any one having or have had problems concentrating from alcohol abuse? I've been sober two weeks and I'm finding that I'm often "zoning out" every 15-30 seconds and I have to snap myself out of it. I don't like driving the car because of it.

Any suggestions to help improve the situation?
Completely normal. Eat right, sleep right, go to meetings, do it repeatedly
Old 05-22-2012, 05:31 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

It took me about 2 months to get back in mental and physical balance
but....I did notice small improvements as I continued sobreity.

I suggest working Crossword puzzles..I find them relaxing and sharpened my mind.
Old 05-22-2012, 05:54 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yes I did. One of the things that changed in my life was i used to pass out around 9 oclock or so. When I quit drinking I would stay up late and suffered from lack of sleep. Not because I couldn't sleep,but I was watching things on TV I had never seen or cared to see before. I also drank way more coffee than I should have. Being sober was new to me,and so was staying up late. Staying up late was something I couldn't do when I drank.
Taking melatonin (natural sleep aid) and getting at least 8 hours sleep went a long way towards getting my head straight again.
Fred
Old 05-22-2012, 09:10 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
...not falling down them

I definitely went through the zoning out thing. It went away after a week or so. I would drive right past the place I had intended on going!
Old 05-22-2012, 02:10 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I have this too!! its been getting better as time progresses but I still "space" out a lot and have trouble concentrating. i'm worried that it might be semi-permanent, hopefully when I get some more sober time the "fogginess" will go away!
Old 05-23-2012, 11:30 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

At two weeks, this is perfectly normal. It takes time to withdraw from the effects of alcohol and there isn't a bigger change than going from drunk to sober. My concentration was much better after 90 days.
Old 05-23-2012, 11:41 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
SoberOutlook

I still get foggy and sometimes depressed. I believe it is post-acute withdrawal syndrome. You can google it and learn quite a bit. The effects can last up to a couple years, and can be prolonged by relapse. It's worth educating yourself about it. It helps to know what to expect. By the way I am at 9 1/2 months, and am experiencing it now.
Old 05-23-2012, 12:26 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I've had the same problems as well, finding it hard to concentrate on really everything, feeling confused, it's really frustrating.
Old 05-23-2012, 12:56 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LoftyIdeals View Post
I still get foggy and sometimes depressed. I believe it is post-acute withdrawal syndrome. You can google it and learn quite a bit. The effects can last up to a couple years, and can be prolonged by relapse. It's worth educating yourself about it. It helps to know what to expect. By the way I am at 9 1/2 months, and am experiencing it now.
thanks for the info about PAWS, very helpful
Old 05-23-2012, 01:08 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Your head will clear in time try drinking plenty water this will keep your body hydrated and hopefully help your mind too! There's nothing worse than having a cloudy day if it happens 2 me I don't take in any information and I have 2 b reminded about things it's not good cause people think u r not interested or listening but that's not the case!x