Notices

How to stop when you just can't stop.

Old 05-18-2012, 09:25 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

How to stop when you just can't stop.

Hi y'all,

I'm almost 5 months sober. I want to put one thing out there for those that "can't stop" drinking.

I couldn't stop either, no matter what. I'd wake up determined, but the shakes and nausea would get to me. I was holding down a highly responsible job/high pay etc... and I had to work.

The ONLY thing that helped me make myself stop was to check into inpatient detox/rehab. I stayed 3 weeks although I wanted to leave after 3 days. It was a 12-step based program. I no longer participate in AA but am happy, healthy, energetic and sober today.

My primary point is...I had to get away from the booze and they only way I was going to do that was to go somewhere where I had NO access to booze and a doc would give me meds to make it a bit more comfortable.

I strongly recommend that anyone who really wants to quit and "can't quit" check themselves into any program they can get into.

Now what they do when they get out is a whole other topic, but to get sober, one must first stop drinking, and inpatient was the only thing that ever worked for me.

Take Care,
Pam
Old 05-18-2012, 11:10 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I read a book that suggested such for many alcoholics. Something about for alcoholics who are jittery and befogged, hospitalization is favored.

I've no doubt those 12 steps work, none at all in fact as I too have been sober for some time as a result of them. I haven't taken a drink since 10.2002. I consider it a privelege to be able to share my experience with those 12 steps both "when I first came in" and today with others, it's enriched my life beyond my imagination.

A current fellow with whom I've had the privelege of going through a journey of those steps was sober for @10 years. Now he had gotten sober at a young age and now @32 years old, new wife, new child, new job - found himself surrounded by alcohol. Deciding to take the high road and leaving to get a health drink he consumed some Kombucha Tea. Noticing that it had about the same alcohol content as "near beer" he though maybe he was mistaken in the past about his alcoholism. He proceeded to drink beer.

Within a few weeks he was back to drinking more than he had before and unable to control it no matter how great his desire or wish. For me, this testifies that some vigilance is in order for me to remain sober i.e. without alcohol. No matter how long I have sober.

I did not go to a rehab, hospital, or any lengthy stay at a jail to separate me from alcohol. I couldn't afford any of the above and while jail looked like a good idea at the time, I'm glad I didn't get an extended stay in one or in prison. I walked into a room - sheepishly, beaten, baffled and bewildered and asked the people in that room how they stopped. They told me. I followed.

I take heart as I return to that room on a regular basis in seeing many of the faces I saw there when I first wound up there.

Thanks for sharing your experience, I hope you don't mind me adding mine. I think if those wishing to stop and having trouble can read/here that the methods, paths, and means to achieve sobriety and keep it are as vast and have as much variety as flavors of alcoholic beverages - they can take hope. Hope, that YES, they too can give up drinking for good and for all.

Best of luck on your continued sobriety and a contented life.
Old 05-18-2012, 11:24 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
Love your post, Pam. I was hospitalized and subsequently went inpatient. I liken it to slapping someone when they are hysterical. Stops everything for a minute...long enough for a tiny bit of clarity to see and grab onto that bottom bit of rope and begin to climb out.
Old 05-18-2012, 11:28 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

That's exactly right! I couldn't get my head clear enough to stop until I was stopped.

Pam
Old 05-18-2012, 02:57 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

easier said than done...
Old 05-18-2012, 03:25 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
o_0

Its really nice to see you sober for 5 month, I am only 2 days but can't stop thinking about drinking.
Old 05-18-2012, 06:31 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
Originally Posted by penny74
easier said than done...
It certainly seemed like that to me at first. Truth was, everything was so much easier once it was done.
Old 05-18-2012, 06:38 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Good to know of your progress Pam...

I've never been to a treatment center so my experience differs from yours
However....I did make many drastic changes in order to recover.
Thanks for shareing part of your history with us.