Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

Had a nervous break down can any one here help???

Notices

Old 05-17-2012, 07:27 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Im a 24 yr old college student, I have drank everyday for the past 4 yrs and I think i need some serious help. last night i had been over a friends drinking, we were having a good time playing some drinking games and stuff. i drove home even tho i probly shouldnt have. i pulled in my drive way and something in my head just snaped. I started balling my eyes out for no reason and about an hour of non stop crying i almost blew my brains out. knowing I was in a very low and bad place I called a close friend to pick me up and take me to her place as there was no alochol there. My mind/head has not been right since and i dont know what to do. I kno i need to stop drinking and I joined this web site to see if anyone can help me with this as it is very difficult to talk to my family about this as they are all alcholics. I appriciate any advice anyone can give me at this time. thankyou
Old 05-17-2012, 07:30 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Certainly you should see a physician. Can you call a minister or a teacher? You do need to talk to someone but first you must go to a doctor.

God bless........
Old 05-17-2012, 07:45 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hey Capt, good for you for reaching out here and to your friend. That takes a lot of courage!

If you're a college student, my guess would be that your college or university has some type of mental health/substance abuse counseling available. That would be a great thing for you to look into. Maybe you could make an appointment there and talk to someone?

I come from a family of alcoholics, too (well, at least on my dad's side) so I know how you feel. But you don't have to live like this no matter what family you come from.

Keep posting here and telling us how you're doing and feeling. There's lots of support and insight here and no judgement.

Have you been drinking today? Would you consider taking a few days off and making an appointment with someone?
Old 05-17-2012, 07:48 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
~sb

Try the doctor's and then maybe get to an AA meeting. You aren't alone anymore.

Pittsburgh Area AA Central Office - Home

Love & hugs,
Old 05-17-2012, 08:05 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome...

I too think seeing a professional would be useful...and you made a good
choice when you called your friend. Well done to both of you!

When my drinking slid me into depression...I did join AA to find my sober future.
Old 05-17-2012, 08:08 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome captn -

I'm so sorry you're going through this..... Alcohol made me terribly depressed and anxious - there were many times when I felt like I was just barely holding on and a few times when I didn't want to live. Daily drinking will do that to you.

I'm glad your friend is with you. The best thing you can do is to get some medical help and detox, ASAP. (Go to the ER if you feel suicidal). Just don't talk yourself out of it, because it only gets worse if you keep drinking.

We're here for you and want to help......:ghug3
Old 05-17-2012, 08:15 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi CaptLBow

I agree with the advice here - see your campus health service, or whatever you call it there - they're there to help

welcome to SR

D
Old 05-17-2012, 08:34 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

well i go to an online university so there is not a physical campus around me. I dont have medical insurance so that dosnt help my situation. Im willing to get some professional help i just dont know where to start i guess. thanx everyone Im alone now and everones voice here is greatly appriciated.
Old 05-17-2012, 08:37 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

OK sorry for the confusion.

I think it's important, if you are feeling overwhelmed, you get some help.

Many cities in the US now have free or low cost clinics:
Free/Low-Cost/Sliding-Scale Clinics

D
Old 05-17-2012, 09:07 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Professional Drunk

Hi Capt,
If you need to talk to someone, I think you should look up local AA meetings in your area. It sounds like alcohol may have a lot to do with your current emotional state and there will be people at AA who can understand what you're feeling as well as be a source of help/advice.
Old 05-17-2012, 09:23 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Call your local AA intergroup at (412)471-7472. Also, your local AA website is Welcome To Alcoholics Anonymous
Old 05-17-2012, 10:49 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Have you talked to anyone? Sounds like you're pretty close in age and drinking length to me. Please get ahold of someone, suicidal thoughts should be considered very serious, especially while drinking.
Old 05-17-2012, 11:01 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I guess im going to try to get ahold of someone at my local aa tomarrow. trying not to drink but its very difficult atm. cant sleep either so just trying to take my mind off of it the best i can.
Old 05-17-2012, 11:04 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

is there any other programs other than AA? im just curious.
Old 05-17-2012, 11:07 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

and does anyone have any good remedies for the depression. its horribal
Old 05-17-2012, 11:52 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Depression is still something I'm dealing with, even months into sobriety, I still have my days where I just feel like there's a gloomy cloud hovering around me all day. You have to talk to someone you can trust, let it all out, cry if you have to. I've always been known as a pretty tough guy but I balled my eyes out when I got sober. Cried for days straight, it's a good thing in my opinion you just have to let it out and be honest to someone. Stop putting up a wall of defense and just admit to your problem and try to fix it(not saying you're in that position, but I was). As for programs, there are tons, Sapling and Dee are probably the best on this board to talk to about programs, they have tons of knowledge.
Old 05-18-2012, 05:04 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Member of SMART Recovery

Originally Posted by captLBow View Post
and does anyone have any good remedies for the depression. its horribal
I suggest you seek immediate help! Here are two local resources you can contact:

Resolve Crisis Network 1-888-796-8226
Resolve Crisis Network

Mercy Behavioral Crisis Center 1-877-637-2924
Enriching Lives with Services, Guidance & Support | Mercy Behavioral Health
Old 05-18-2012, 05:08 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Member of SMART Recovery

Originally Posted by captLBow View Post
is there any other programs other than AA? im just curious.
Yes!

Self Help Substance Abuse &amp Addiction Recovery | SMART RecoveryŽ
http://lifering.org/
S.O.S. Secular Organizations for Sobriety

There is also Rational Recovery, which is not a program per se, but more of an approach to abstinence.

Check out the Secular Connections forum here to talk with folks who use secular approaches.
Old 05-18-2012, 05:19 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Your situation is exactly the same as mine, I too was at university when I started have serious depression and anxiety due to my drinking. However I didn't really know what was causing mine, just thought I was loosing my mind. Get to see a doctor now, he may give you something for the depression and anxiety and don't do what I did which is leave it 2 years before it gets treated.

As for an alternative to AA have a look into Rational Recovery, you can buy the book online and read it in your own time on your own rather than having to go to face to face meetings.

Best of luck, you are definitely not alone
Old 05-18-2012, 05:53 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
SoberOutlook

Welcome to SR, captLBow. I'm glad you are responding to the great advice above, and hope you have found someone to talk to today.

We all had some event or catalyst that brought us to our knees during our drinking. And that is often accompanied by severe depression. I know it was for me. I hope you'll read these threads, because in them you'll find that there is tremendous hope and life and even joy, beyond the immediate situation that you may find yourself in now. It takes time and work, but it's an awesome investment in yourself that can pay dividends for a lifetime, and maybe even beyond.

Peace. Keep posting, and get that first hand help everyone has recommended.