Notices

do you have fun in recovery????

Old 05-15-2012, 04:09 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

okay, folks. lets here it!! how have you had fun in recovery? we read of so many bad things that have hapened while drinking, so lets highlight the fun of recovery!!
1) went to my 1st concert sober with some others in recovery and it was a blast!!!( did you know that there are actually quite a few people that go to concerts and dont get drunk/stoned???).
2)played a season of softball, lost every game, and had a riot!
3) bought a motorcycle and rode sober for the 1st time in my life!!!
4) helped a friend build a covered deck on his house and had a riot the whole time( we both hurt like the dikkens, but it was awesome!)
5)got into woodworking and make some amazing things and have a lot of fun and serenity doin it!
6) flew on a plane for the very first time!
7) took a vacation to colorado to see my son stationed at fort carson and had a riot!!!( i could move out there!)
Old 05-15-2012, 05:00 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Life is good and it sure is great to be sober.
No worries of who I called while drunk.
No regrets or feeling of shame.
No unexplained bruises or aches or pain.
No legal or profession problems that drinking had brought.
Relationships have never been better.
I feel good and sleep well.
Everyday I try to live humbley and with peace, while trying to do the right thing, no matter what.
I don't know if fun is the right word, it's more like serenity 4 me.
Old 05-15-2012, 05:04 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hey TomSteve,

Thanks for the post. Very encouraging!

Originally Posted by tomsteve View Post
2)played a season of softball, lost every game, and had a riot!
LOL!!!!

I ought to get back in to that myself.

regards

tacks
Old 05-15-2012, 05:56 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
In my Own Little World

1) Took a vacation by myself to go see a friend down in SC.
2) Been to 4 symphonies since getting sober.
3) Joined a book club.
4) Got back INTO reading, which I had abandoned and remembered how much I loved it.
5) Really enjoying people's company and actually calling people FIRST instead of friends and family having to always call me and check in on me/initiating conversation.
6) Looking for new jobs!!
7) Focused on actually getting myself healthy, mind and body for once! This has been amazing!
8) Going to meet up with a group of sober sisters that I've known for a while now from a recovery group in NC in 2 months. Sooo excited!!!!
Old 05-15-2012, 06:34 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Great post!

Personally I'm just getting my life sorted out and have only recently sobered up (a few days short of three months sober). But I do have some goals:

- Start excelling in school again and actually pursue subjects that I enjoy learning about.
- Start playing basketball again (I've barely played in about 10 years).
- Start playing guitar more, write more music, play open mics and maybe even full-blown shows in due time.
- Continue working out and actually feel good about how I look. Maybe even impress a girl?

And that's all, for a start, but I'll be looking to add more to the list as I get more settled into sobriety.
Old 05-15-2012, 06:41 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

You betcha I do!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It has been a real blast these past almost 31 years now.

I have moved to several different states, sober even lived in Nevada for a while, lol That was where I first went Hot Air Ballooning, what a blast that was and is.

I have traveled both in the country and out of the country. 13 trips to Australia and up to 8 weeks on some of them. Have been all over the Caribbean.

May be visiting Ecuador this winter.

Have gotten my Pilot's License. Just VFR for now, but am now working on my IFR, and I will be 67 the 1st of July, roflmao

I too found out how much I had missed 'reading.' Got myself a Kindle, which is great when on a plane and takes up less room than a 'book' lol

Got my first 'home computer' in early '99 and that was when I met Carol D on line, lol at a different Recovery Site. Have had numerous PC's since then and am on my third laptop.

Have attended many conventions, roundups, and The International Several times.

I do things with my grand kids. We go to the Water Park a lot, and yes I LOVE the Water Slides, lmao

I got my degree sober at 41 years of age.

I started my own company and did really well until it my health issues forced me to retire and I sold it.

My whole life since finding recovery has been so different from my first 36 years of living. Yes I had to clean up the 'wreckage of my past' but then things started getting good and they just keep getting better, even with the 'little hiccups' from my health issues.

I love my SOBER LIFE. There are so many things I have done, and still hope to do that this would turn into the longest blog ever, roflmao

Glad you started this thread!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've journalled most of my recovery years. Now I will admit that I did have a 'burn party' a few years ago and burned a bunch of my journals, however, I did keep the first 5 years, as I still find it very interesting to go back and read about my early years in recovery and how I really SOLD MYSELF SHORT on my dreams and ambitions and 'wants.' lol

My life is just SO MUCH BETTER, clear headed, not numb, and really aware of what is going on around me.

Hope to read others and their 'fun' things.

Love and hugs,
Old 05-15-2012, 06:46 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
LDT

Went through a whole year of holidays, vacations, Sunday gatherings, office parties...... not to mention my daughter's college graduation, engagement and wedding.....we sailed, fished, swam, got a new puppy, grilled, exercised, read books, played music.....all sober! And I remember every fine minute.
Old 05-15-2012, 06:55 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Found my love for excersise again...and it's not a chore. Doing sprint triathlons, 5k runs and even a 1/2 mile ocean swim for cancer research.
Old 05-15-2012, 07:14 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

What a great thread!

I'm new to recovery, 7 days today, but I'm already noticing some awesome things....

-Went to Karaoke with friends and actually remember how bad we all sounded (I actually sang sober....wasn't sure I would be able to!)
-Feel good when I wake up, instead of feelings of "what the hell happened last night??"
- More present in my social life, especially with family. I actually call them!
- Spend a lot more time with my dog, who deserves every second I can give him

I can't wait to see what else will happen!

Donnylutz
Old 05-15-2012, 08:47 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I have met some of the biggest degenerate whoremasters in my life in sobriety. I have engaged in all manner of debauchery with sober friends and had the time of my life. Also found more family friendly activities I enjoy... (who knew you could play golf or go fishing without being loaded?)

In the fewest words, I do anything I want today except drink and get high..... sadly along the way I developed a conscious and don't do so much debauchery anymore, but boy am I glad I did before that conscious kicked in.
Old 05-15-2012, 08:53 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I have met some of the biggest degenerates, gamblers, and lechers in my life in sobriety. I have engaged in all manner of debauchery with sober friends and had the time of my life. Also found more family friendly activities I enjoy... (who knew you could play golf or go fishing without being loaded?)

In the fewest words, I do anything I want today except drink and get high..... sadly along the way I developed a conscious and don't do so much debauchery anymore, but boy am I glad I did before that conscious kicked in.

Really if I lived the life of a monk I'd keep going on the trouble I don't have anymore.

No:
Blackouts
Hangovers
Cracked up cars
Handcuffs
lawyers, judges, probation officers
making my mother cry
dry heaves
shakes
cold sweats
wetting the bed
pooping my pants
throwing up
getting sucker punched
having guns pulled on me
calling in sick from work on Mondays
always owing money to "flocco" or "Johnny and Bobo" (insert drug dealers name here)

Yep. I'm not missing out on anything.
Old 05-15-2012, 08:59 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I'm living with purpose and joy....serenity and balance.
Wishing the same for everyone....
Old 05-16-2012, 01:52 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

After 3 + months, i am delighted to say that i enjoy myself all the time now, and no longer dread socializing with friends and family. (before....it detracted from my drinking..) I have discovered that saying yes to invitations leads to more invitations! So I.keep saying yes where i wouldve said no, and i am surprised to find i enjoy myself!

In these three sober months, i Have gone into NYC 3 X, into Philly several times, seen several museum shows and an opera at the Lincoln center, flew to Florida to visit my father, am going to Nova Scotia this August, have also been to.several pro baseball games, made several visits to the racetrack, had a day at a spa, have seen two concerts, been to many family gatherings, have seen two local plays, and best of all, have babysat my Grandson several times without the stress of worrying about craving a drink.

I have continued to work fulltime. But I spend money and time more wisely.

I have redecorated the dining room with money i saved by not drinking.

I have found pleasure in the company of people i avoided before solely because they didnt share in my prior obsession for drinking.

I also have stuck to a daily meditation schedule for a month now. Have caught up on some medical appts. Hope to add more exercise to the list soon. Have lost weight from not drinking and am fitting into my smaller size clothes.

I have resumed cooking, and even enjoy completing chores now and find them less stressful. And i show more love to my dog and he deserves every bit!

I am still nervous about meeting new people, but i am hopeful that my confidence will continue to grow....
Old 05-16-2012, 02:28 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
In love with life.

Originally Posted by TSDD View Post

Really if I lived the life of a monk I'd keep going on the trouble I don't have anymore.

No:
Blackouts
Hangovers
Cracked up cars
Handcuffs
lawyers, judges, probation officers
making my mother cry
dry heaves
shakes
cold sweats
wetting the bed
pooping my pants
throwing up
getting sucker punched
having guns pulled on me
calling in sick from work on Mondays
always owing money to "flocco" or "Johnny and Bobo" (insert drug dealers name here)

Yep. I'm not missing out on anything.
I'm printing this out and sticking it to my fridge!!!!!! Seriously, when you think about all that crap, why do we do it?!?! :crazy

I'm only 6 days sober but in the past few days I've been snowboarding twice, alone. I've always had company so to be able to find the confidence (without booze to fuel me) was the greatest feeling. Plan on doing more of that to get me through these early days :yup

Thanks for the post!!
Old 05-16-2012, 06:05 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

Got pregnant, had a kid. He's 2 and a half now and makes me laugh hysterically every single day.

Old 05-16-2012, 06:12 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

Sorry those are so big!
Old 05-16-2012, 07:37 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Love this thread!! Heck yeah I have fun in recovery, a lot more fun than I ever had while drinking. Which is great, b/c I totally thought it would be the opposite. I socialize now a lot more, have a lot more friends. I enjoy quiet reading time each night before bed. I go on walks and hikes and enjoy our beautiful coast. I go golfing. I spend time with my family. I craft. I garden.
And here I thought I WAS having fun sitting alone on my couch every night, pizza in one hand, overfull wine glass in the other, watching the same movie I watched the night before, and the night before that, and the night before that...waking up every morning just alive enough to make it to work and function poorly.
Old 05-16-2012, 09:23 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Yes!

I played squash tonight with a bunch of good guys. Afterwards we went out to a bar that I used to frequent in the past and had a great dinner and a lot of laughs. I had a diet coke and my entire bill came to $16.
Old 05-16-2012, 09:47 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

58 days clean and I can name a few
...remember what I am doing, where I am going
...respect of myself
...respect from my family
...laughing with my children
...being the best Mom I know how
...being a great friend, daughter, sister
...making good sober friends
...finding my funny
...looking ahead
...enjoying my life
Old 05-17-2012, 04:42 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Let go and Let God!

I have had a blast in recovery!!!

Gone on retreats
Gave birth to 3 kids, sober!
Play soccer, football, and baseball with my kids
Go to my kids sporting events and being the loudest parent
Going to my kids academic awards at school
Got a relationship back with my mom
Found the love of reading again
Getting to help others.

I have been deeply blessed these last 9 years.