Notices

Drinking effects?

Old 05-10-2012, 09:32 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Drinking effects?

Im new to this site and wanted to ask a question but I don't really know where to post it, so I'm just trying here in case someone has an answer for me.
I've been drinking for five years, but I started drinking every day about a year and a half ago, and I want to know the common physical and mental effects of drinking that much for that period of time. Most things online are either the effects of being drunk or the effects after ten or twenty years of heavy drinking. I just want to know what happens to you after you've been drinking heavily for a couple of years. Are ulcers common, or chronic nausea or headaches? Is suffering from insomnia or withdrawals common after that period of time? I'm nineteen and I've been drinking nearly every day since I was seventeen following a stressful period in my life, and now I'm literally either working or drinking. I usually start drinking fifteen minutes or up to half an hour after I get off work, then drink until I pass out that night. On my days off I sometimes drink all day, or at least from afternoon until night time, and its not that uncommon for me to drink for hours, pass out, then wake up at four or five in the morning and immediately start drinking again, even if I have to work that same afternoon. When I was still in high school I would often drink at school, sometimes all day from seven in the morning to when I got home and passed out, and I was kicked out of school in grade twelve for being drunk.
What I want to know is what the common side effects of this kind of drinking are after a couple years. I'm not talking about cancer or liver disease or anything like that, but I want to know what people suffer from who drink like this. Are body aches, shakiness, anxiety or stomach pain common? Even random things like constant diarreah, nose bleeds, vomiting, chest pain, fast or painful heart rate, high blood pressure, runny nose, trouble or pain after eating, anything random like that. Thanks, I appreciate any feedback.
Old 05-10-2012, 10:12 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
~sb

Read many of the posts here. Once we drink daily, the effects are basically going to be similar or even the same. Our bodies get used to the effects of ethanol alcohol. It gets into every part of our body. It disrupts normal sleep patterns so we must relearn normal sleeping, it disrupts the lining of the esophagus, stomach and intestines, it depresses our nerves. Erratic sleeping, stomach problems, and anxiety are some things you may experience when you stay stopped from drinking and your body heals.

Please consult a doctor and be honest about your drinking history before attempting to detox alone.

Glad you are here! You are not alone, nor are you the youngest person to know you have a problem with alcohol. My friend who is now sober for 25 years, stopped drinking at the age of 15.

Since man learned to stomp grapes, alcohol and it's problems began and haven't changed much over the years.

Read about AVRT or get to an AA meeting for more support.

Hang in there! Stick around and keep reading!
Old 05-10-2012, 10:16 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Gone In

Alcohol damages every major organ system in the body. Only a doctor can tell you what damage that might be.
Old 05-12-2012, 05:03 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Well, when I drank, I had a constantly troubled stomache. My nose was bleeding a lot, I had bruises in weird places, even though I didn't remember falling. I had pain and aches in various parts of the body, issues with neuropathy, panic attacks when I tried to sober up after a period of heavy drinking, sweating like crazy and terrible nightmares. The list goes on and on and on....

The crazy thing though... is that when I was drinking, I actually couldn't see that alcohol was causing these things. I even thought that alcohol helped with the things that it caused. Only after a long time of being sober did I realize how badly drinking had actually messed my body up. Because after some time sober a lot of these things had just gone away.
Old 05-12-2012, 05:36 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Professional Drunk

Hi Booze,
It sounds like you may be physically dependent on alcohol and you listed a few symptoms of alcohol withdrawal. I think you should definitely see a doctor.
Old 05-12-2012, 09:17 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Please do have an honest talk with your doctor ..it's really the way to get
answers that can point you to a healthier sober future...

From what you shared....you are in trouble and you can turn this around.
Your age is in your favor...please quit and begin a sober lifestyle.

Please read this link...

Alcohol Chemistry and You

Welcome..
Old 05-13-2012, 12:33 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
instant

Booze
I agree with Carol, you would benefit from being assessed in person by a professional. My guess is that at the least you are alcohol dependant. Major complications seem just around the corner.

We are more resilient when younger- when you are old, like me, bouncing back gets harder to do
Old 05-13-2012, 01:27 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Truth is just about everything bad you can think of can happen, planned or not, seriously.