Notices

Thinking about drinking...

Old 05-08-2012, 01:40 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Thinking about drinking...

I'm having major thoughts about drinking after work. Thankfully I don't get out till 11, so I have time to get my act together. I need words of encouragement please.
I'm back on day 2 (relapsed over the weekend) .
-renee
Old 05-08-2012, 01:44 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Do you really want to start over again, again? At some point, you have to decide whether or not you truly want to stop drinking. Make drinking a non-option. You are the only one who can control what you do. If you need help, please find an AA meeting, or look into other options, such as AVRT, sober-recovery, personal counseling or something else.
Old 05-08-2012, 01:48 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I relapsed on the weekend myself so I'm right with you on day 2
All I can say is if we both make it through today we will feel much better tomorrow.
Wouldn't you rather wake up tomorrow feeling good about yourself instead of being all hungover with that sinking feeling of failure?
Old 05-08-2012, 01:53 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Renee, have you accepted that you are truly powerless over alcohol? I found that until I finally did accept I could no longer drink or else I could die by the bottle, relapse's were a part of my weekly life.

Be well
Old 05-08-2012, 02:00 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Choosing Life

Renee, the last time I relapsed, my sponsor asked me a question that has continue to resonate with me ever since ... she asked, "How many more recoveries do you have in you?"

I knew I probably had a lot more "drunks" in me, but every time I tried to recover it got harder and harder. My answer to her question was, "I don't know."

That was enough to get me sober.
Old 05-08-2012, 02:11 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Well, what would drinking bring you?

I know, part of you (the addicted part) probably says it would offer some level of comfort. Maybe stress reduction. A chance to escape your worries for a while.... but is any of that true? I believed those sorts of lies for way too long, when in reality drinking caused many of the stressors in my life, and amplified the others.

By not drinking, I now have the peace, freedom, and strength I never found in a bottle. It took a while to get there, but every day sober brought me one day closer. You're on your way—you don't want to drink. That's just your addiction calling out to you, trying to convince you that you need to drink. You don't. Breathe in. Breathe out. Are you in any physical pain? Of course not. Go home after work. Eat a nice meal. Get some sleep. Wake up tomorrow knowing that you are finally living the life you deserve.
Old 05-08-2012, 02:11 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
instant

It's not a short cut but going a full inventory of the pros and cons of drinking was useful tome. Having said that I still had trouble stringing days together. Just have a go!!
Old 05-08-2012, 02:18 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi Renee,
This may not seem too comforting, but I think about the amount of relief I will feel (getting well, lets face it, drunk) vs how I will feel all day the next day. For example, I think oh well I can feel 2-3 hours of relief drinking then have a horrid hangover 24 hours afterwards. I even can have 2-3 day hang overs. Just for 2-3 hours of intoxication? Not worth it anymore!! Also, this is strange, but coffee tastes sooooo great in the morning without that hangover. Hang in there. The more days you have, the better it gets. Peace
Old 05-09-2012, 02:20 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I can imagine all sorts of things....that does not mean I will act on them.

Make a plan...go directly home...eat ...take a vubble bath...do something positive
that has nothing to do with alcohol.

It's really up to you...choose health and sobriety...
Old 05-09-2012, 02:36 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Firstly tell your cravings and addiction to politely **** off, secondly, any thoughts that you are having that this time will be different are lies. You will wake up, if you drink, feeling awful and wonder why you bothered in the first place. Be strong, don't let this ****** beat you. All the best and please post tomorrow when you wake up fresh and proud
Old 05-09-2012, 07:02 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hey guys, I also stopped drinking as of Monday after quite a nasty bender. Day 3. Hoping yall could check in every few days here and there. Let's make 5/7/12 the last "day one".