Notices

Open Mindedness & Willingness

Old 04-28-2012, 06:54 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Open Mindedness & Willingness

Curious as to what these words have come to mean for some of you who have been sober for awhile...

Thanks,
Old 04-28-2012, 07:23 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
SHARING THE LOAD

Thumbs up

Hi Hope,

Great question as it really got me focused.

For me openmindedness means to keep looking and trusting that change can and will happen for me in God's time. This is not a problem since I am aware now of some many grand and wonderous things in my life. I am in wonder and still very much open to suggestion. The willingness is to keep on doing what I have been and can get tough at times as it takes some discipline and I am not the most disciplined in the world. Going to meetings, doing daily inventory and prayer is part of that and must be done for me to stay sober still.

In fact, those two little words with a guest apperance from honesty hold the key to the spiritual experience that AA memers are seeking. In appendix II in the back of the big book those three words are mentioned as being indespensible to embrace the spirituality of the program.

They are for me and I feel that my memory of how bad things were and can get with one little drink keeps me humble enough to place those three words in my daily affairs and seek as best I can.
Old 04-28-2012, 07:33 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

Willingness is an inclination to behave in accordance with a plan.

Open mindedness is being willing to learn something every moment and to set aside that which was thought to be true, if only temporarily , in service of that end.
Old 04-28-2012, 09:06 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Well, only sober for just under 3 months so far, but it has been eye opening for sure.

Open Mindedness, for me: Stopping, listening, sensing and waiting for all possible solutions to reveal themselves. And that requires faith that there are infinitely more and better answers than our addictions have lead us to believe.

Which brings me to willingness, (where I get frozen) which is the willingness to try and go beyond your comfort zone, and follow the thread to see where your opened mind leads.
Old 04-28-2012, 10:51 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
instant

Both of them speak to me about committing to engage fully and to embrace our challenges and discomforts, whilst accepting and respecting others.

L.O.V.E
Old 04-29-2012, 07:48 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

for me openmindedness is me being willing to not balk when sobriety doesn't smell, feel, look, sound etc like I think it should. And willingness is to continue in the program even when sobriety doesn't smell, look, feel and sound like I think it should.
Old 04-29-2012, 11:00 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you... I am working on step 3...It sounds easy at first, but it's hard to fathom putting all our hope in Him. I am a Christian, but have always relied on myself (or others) to get me through hard times...I have sought a higher Power, but have always believed it came down to me to make things happen...
It's hard to rely on something you can't see to get you through tough times, especially when finances is also an issue...
I knew I would get some inspiring comments. Thank you again!
Old 04-29-2012, 11:12 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Open-mindedness = Teachability, an open mind to the truth.

Willingness = a commitment to take action.
Old 04-29-2012, 11:39 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Willingness to do anything to stay sober, including things I think are stupid. To take suggestions from people with more time. Open minded is listening to ideas and suggestions I would never entertain before.

When I walked through the doors of AA 20+ years ago I'd had a very close brush with death and was terrified. I didn't think it possible to stay sober. I simply gave up -- it was obvious that my thinking was totally off course. If someone told me I had to stand on my head and whistle Dixie to stay sober I'd have done it.

I still go. I know I have another drink in me but I seriously doubt I have another recovery.
Old 04-29-2012, 11:48 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

One of the oldtimers said that openmindedness was the ability to see a bad idea that had popped into your head and just let it roll out the other side without entertaining it.

All the best.

Bob R