Notices

Naltrexone and Campral - anyone tried them?

Old 04-27-2012, 08:11 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
In my Own Little World

My experience was this.
I was on Campral for about 2 months. It worked wonderfully. Completely made it so that I didn't crave alcohol. I wasn't really ready to completely stop drinking, so while I took it, I drank 2 drinks at most usually only 1 and 1/4 leaving the rest there unfinished (unheard of for alcoholics, right?).
However....when I wanted to drink, I would "forget" to take my doses that day conveniently/leave them at home on "accident". I would drink like none other that night usually putting back an 18 pack (when before the campral, my normal was 8-9/night).
By the end, I was more miserable than ever. I figured that if medication couldn't help me stay sober, nothing could.

My problem was that I wasn't working a program of recovery along with the medication and I wasn't ready to stop drinking.

Eight short weeks later is my sobriety date in my signature and this time I have been working a program of recovery sans medication.

Medication DOES have a place but I personally believe that it is only useful when coupled with a recovery program of some kind.

I wish you the best and keep coming back!!
Old 04-28-2012, 06:12 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Day 4 of not drinking/using. No cravings to speak of thanks to the Naltrexone and Campral, not even for cigarettes. All the emotional stuff I drink over is coming up but I can deal with that in therapy I guess. I feel physically like crap too. Hopefully another few days and I'll feel better physcially. I've just been lying on the sofa the last three days watching tv with my cat and going to a meeting in the evening, then coming home and watching more tv with the cat.

In the meeting tonight I was marvelling at the people who had like 43 days, or 27 days. Getting to 7 days is about as far ahead as I can imagine.

It's hard seeing all the people I first met four years ago being four more years clean and sober and moving on with their lives, while I threw it all away and am starting over again.

I'm scared I won't make it - honestly if it wasn't for my kitty, I wouldn't be trying again. No one can love her as much as I do or look after her as well as I do, so I can't leave her. She is really my only reason for sticking around. I can't drink and I'm not sure I have another recovery in me. There is a part of me that is completely willing to drink myself to death just to drown the pain.

But here's kitty wanting to play so day 5 tomorrow.
Old 04-28-2012, 06:20 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Sally1009

Well done! Xx
Old 04-29-2012, 11:05 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I was on Campral and went the longest I've ever gone sober. Hope it works for you
Old 04-30-2012, 01:15 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Day 6. I actually feel ok today. Very relieved. Heading to a women's meeting soon.
Old 04-30-2012, 08:01 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Sounds as tho you are finding your way....super!
Old 04-30-2012, 09:22 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Don;t know them but if the psychiatrist gave you that I am sure he/she knows what she/he is giving/prescribing you. If you feel any side effects just call him/her.