Notices

Well, I finally went to the Doctor. I was afraid

Old 04-14-2012, 04:16 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Well, I finally went to the Doctor. I was afraid

to go to the Doctor because what they might tell me. I had a feeling that I was pretty bad off. I do have liver failure. I am at a 4. They told me if I QUIT drinking and never drink another drop and take care of myself that I have a good chance of living a decent and normal life. My swelling in my belly has gone down but my legs have not all of the way (ademia). However, they have gone down A LOT!!! They are still tender. I am just doing this one day at a time and I am so happy for me that I cannot even begin to tell you. No more waking up late feeling like crap, no more sleeping through my alarm and not being able to get out of bed to go to work, I can keep going on and on. I would be lying if I said that it is not weird but it is not like I crave it so bad that I feel like pulling my hair out. They did not even have to give me anything for withdrawals. That shocked me as much and as long as I have drank for for. They told me they had them if I needed them though. It was a long 9 days of tests in the hospital. I just want to be happy and normal again. I know it will never be the same but the closer I can get to the happiest and normal part, the better I feel.
Old 04-14-2012, 04:51 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad that the prognosis is pretty good summertimehigh
I ran with my second chance - I'm really please to hear you're doing the same

D
Old 04-14-2012, 04:53 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Good luck my friend Sounds like you are doing great
Old 04-14-2012, 04:54 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Sally1009

Sorry to hear about the liver failure, but glad you are seeing things in a positive light. Perhaps you can use this experience as a springboard into a new and happy life of sobriety.
Wishing you all the best in your recovery.
Old 04-14-2012, 08:40 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I can promise you. I am definitely running with my second chance. I honestly do not think that I had ever been that scared and sober at the same time in my life and you honestly see things in a different light. Now I cannot quit eating. I have been slowly working out and trying not to eat too much. At first my stomach would hurt when I got full and they had to take 3 big viles of liquid out of my stomach. They did say that the color of the fluid was not as bad as they thought that they would be. A lot of people are telling me that I look better too which makes me feel good because that last week was rough. Now that I am feeling better, I can see more clearly now of how bad things really were. NOPE! No more drinky for me. NOWAY! I hope that everyone on here joins me and sticks with it too. We are all way too good and cool for this poisionous mess. Hugs to all of you and I am here for you too.
Old 04-14-2012, 08:55 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I'm so glad you did go and are paying attention to your health..
Old 04-14-2012, 09:33 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Now get involved with AA because your mind will tell you sooner or later that you can have just one.And away you will go.
Old 04-14-2012, 09:44 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
~sb

Prayers sent your way.

I'm glad you are doing well!

Hug & love,
Old 04-14-2012, 09:56 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Post Re:Well, I finally went to the Doctor. I was afraid

I remembered feeling a bit queasy as well after my first doctor visit, sober. He asked me a series of questions, including the infamous “are you an alcoholic” by the way? But of course, I replied. And how would you know that doctor? He said: Your liver enzymes (GGT) are high, that’s why. But what he said after that really struck close to home, just like you: “You can prevent further injury, but only if you ‘stop’ drinking now". So I did. And thank God I did, because my life has been rewarding ever since. You can do this”SH5”, believe me you can. And forums, like this one, can help. So utilize the tools found here and/or "AA" and never give up hope. We won’t, either should you.

~God Bless~

Second chances are like little successes, looking for a place to happen.

Old 04-15-2012, 09:39 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi all, your stories are truly inspiring and are giving me so much hope!! God bless you all.
I am 23, and have been well.. quite a heavy drinker from the age of 15. don't know whether i would call myself an alcoholic because i could go without for a few days but then i'd be back on it. My last drink was Monday, and its Sunday now.. so a week tomorro i've been completely sober. I have no symptoms, but im quite convinced the whites of my eyes have a tinge of yellow. yet no1 else can see this, i'm worried sick, i cant eat or sleep, convinced i am going to die and leave my babies behind. it's tearing me apart. so i have been drinking a lot of water, lemon juice (apparantly that helps detox the liver) and orange juice, i've been eating healthily also Would i know if i was severely ill? because the worry is killing me. I have no intention of drinking now. I live literally 2minutes away from a shop and i'm not even tempted to go and get a drink.

Thank you for reading my post. I'm determined on staying off the alcohol and going to get some MILK THISTLE suppliments (herbal) just to help with the cleansing!

X
Old 04-15-2012, 10:06 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
LDT

My liver was inflamed....pancreas hurt.......blood plateletts were elevated....plus a host of other problems. I was terrified to go to the doctor, but I finally did. The moment I stopped drinking was the moment I started healing. I'm good now Summer, and you will be as well.
Old 04-15-2012, 10:47 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by winslynn View Post
Now get involved with AA because your mind will tell you sooner or later that you can have just one.And away you will go.

You beat me to it.

Bob
Old 04-16-2012, 11:54 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I'm on my 7th day sober now :-) X
hope you're all doing great!!!
x
Old 04-16-2012, 02:56 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I am happy to hear you are on the mend!

Be well.
Old 04-16-2012, 07:44 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

go to the Dr. Kirstylouise, it's hard but you'll find out what's going on with your liver and being in a Dr's care will give you a reason to stay sober.